Sign in to follow this  
bartgast

Short little question about CPU usage

Good day,

I recently got my new PC and I flew a couple of flights. My CPU Core #1 is always running at 90-100%, the temperature stays under 55 C all the time. My question is: Is this dangerous for the PC (and CPU itself ofcourse)?

I hope you can answer my question!

Cheers,

Bart 

If you can touch it with your bare fingers, it's cold ;)

Now seriously: Check the maximum temperatures for your particular CPU. But usually around 90-100, so you should be fine.

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

If you can touch it with your bare fingers, it's cold ;)

Now seriously: Check the maximum temperatures for your particular CPU. But usually around 90-100, so you should be fine.

Thanks for your answer!

Good day,

I recently got my new PC and I flew a couple of flights. My CPU Core #1 is always running at 90-100%, the temperature stays under 55 C all the time. My question is: Is this dangerous for the PC (and CPU itself ofcourse)?

I hope you can answer my question!

Cheers,

Bart 

55C is super cool under load. Depends on your CPU, but TJ Max is usually around 100 degrees. CPU temperature is lower than core temperature as they are measured from different sensors, but even if your 55C is CPU temp, it's still very low.

CPU temperature is lower than core temperature

It's the temperature from CPU Core #1. Do you think I can overclock my system some more?

It's the temperature from CPU Core #1. Do you think I can overclock my system some more?

Use the highest temperature as your reference.

And yes, you can overclock it some more!

Jaime Beneyto

Great News!!

There's a program to test the temperatures of the CPU under HUGE loads, it's called PRIME95. Read about it, and use it to check if your overclock is safe. If using PRIME95 your temperatures are under Tjmax and with a decent margin of safety, then there's nothing that will overheat your CPU :)

Jaime Beneyto

Yes. Not a concern unless you are exceeding 80 degrees under load.

I wouldn't recommend Prime95. I would use ROG RealBench for stress testing. It's closer to the sort of applications we usually run on our PC's. Prime is a synthetic stress test that bares little resemblance to anything you are likely to run.

The best stability test of all is the stuff you usually run on your PC.

It's possible to be 100%stable in Prime and then BSOD the instant you run something like BF4 or Handbrake

Sometimes I do know better, sometimes I don't. If you or the OP think I'm wrong, reject everything I say. If you think I'm right embrace it. But I will always state my true opinion. That's what forums are for.

I'm with Asus and Intel on this one, in terms of not favouring Prime95.

Listen to Martin, he knows better :)

Ok I will :)

Yes. Not a concern unless you are exceeding 80 degrees under load.

I wouldn't recommend Prime95. I would use ROG RealBench for stress testing. It's closer to the sort of applications we usually run on our PC's. Prime is a synthetic stress test that bares little resemblance to anything you are likely to run.

The best stability test of all is the stuff you usually run on your PC.

It's possible to be 100%stable in Prime and then BSOD the instant you run something like BF4 or Handbrake

I will see how far I can get ;)

I'm with Asus and Intel on this one, in terms of not favouring Prime95.

Yes, Prime95 is overkill. It's just an "upper limit" of stress. If the CPU can cope with it, it will be fine in any other situation (or at least that's how I understood it).

My CPU, an i7 860 2.80 overclocked to 3.80 is always hot and would MELT with a Prime95 stress-test. And I bought a good Noctua heat sink just for the OC.

A few days ago playing with the rendering options of X-Plane one of the 4 cores got to 98ºC (the others to 85-90). That's already dangerous. But I'm planning on changing CPU (and motherboard, d'oh). At "standard" levels it would be around 70-75 ºC, which is too high in my opinion.

Jaime Beneyto