Sign in to follow this  
jrs182p

HD Mesh V3

Hello All!,

I recently got into x-plane (so i could fly the ixeg 737 :P) and I've downloaded HD mesh v3 and UHD mesh v1 to spruce up the scenery a bit and I've installed it. I was curious if you can just replace the default global scenery files with it? rather than having both taking up loads of HDD space.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Joe

Yes you can. I do it to save space. Just be aware that the X-Plane updater will overwrite them if they are patched in a new update

Yes you can. I do it to save space. Just be aware that the X-Plane updater will overwrite them if they are patched in a new update

Thanks Tony, thats exactly the reason i'd like to overwrite the standard stuff. Cheers.

Nice to have others around here answering these questions (I was by far not fast enough to jump in myself :) ).

But yes, Tonys answer is absolutely correct : "you can, but have to be aware of some possible pitfalls".

Isn't that much simpler to uninstall the default scenery and leave UHD and HD meshes in the Custom Scenery folder where it belongs ? It won't be overwritten by the updater this way.

Pascal

Isn't that much simpler to uninstall the default scenery and leave UHD and HD meshes in the Custom Scenery folder where it belongs ? It won't be overwritten by the updater this way.

Yep of course, that would also work and is better. I originally did this so G2XPL would pick up the HD Mesh tiles and not the default scenery

Can someone be kind enough to provide more specifics on how you would go about replacing default scenery with HD mesh?

I'm also interested in saving some SSD space.

thanks in advance.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Just install HD mesh into your custom scenery folder as normal, and then run the installer to remove the global scenery for the same area 

e.g If you install the US, download HD Mesh and once you have it installed, run the X-Plane installer and deselect the US and it will remove it, and use the HD mesh only in your custom scenery.

• Upvote 2

Thanks Tony.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

so for steam user's we can actually uncheck areas of the world and x-plane will still run?i am taking up about 50 gb of default scenery and have almost the whole world covered with hd and uhd.

so for steam user's we can actually uncheck areas of the world and x-plane will still run?

You can run X-Plane regardless... even if you have zero scenery installed. It'll just load up into a very large ocean. :wink:

• Upvote 1

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Just install HD mesh into your custom scenery folder as normal, and then run the installer to remove the global scenery for the same area 

e.g If you install the US, download HD Mesh and once you have it installed, run the X-Plane installer and deselect the US and it will remove it, and use the HD mesh only in your custom scenery.

What happens to the Lego brick airports ?

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

Nothing, they stay as they are unless you delete them