Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

So I bought Xplane 10...

I haven't heard good things on the Rotate MD-80. Namely that it's a really pretty model (exterior and interior) but systems-wise not good at all. Anyone to confirm?

Is anyone using the 767-300?

http://store.x-plane.org/Boeing-767-300-ER-Professional_p_444.html

Any comments?  I've been wanting a solid 767 in FSX/P3D since any hopes of a new Level D model fell through the floor.

I've heard several times that the FF 767 is the best airliner for XP-10 (or at least until the IXEG came out)

See these:

Part 3 is supposedly on the way :)

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

I've heard several times that the FF 767 is the best airliner for XP-10 (or at least until the IXEG came out)

See these:

Great.  Thanks Jaime.

Hi

Ive got p3d fsx and xp, agree with all above, the smoothness when I taxi around dense airfields like egll or egcc etc is amzing compared to fsx and prepar3d,

My only problem is I run full cockpit here and as such my software for it prosim737 does not work with xplane, if there was something the same I could use to setup all my mip, overhead etc, it would be xplane for me all the time

All the addons mentioned above are mostly all you need, only one not mentioned thats great to use is

Pilot2atc,

Http://www.Pilot2atc.com

its a atc program works great and has just been updated with some great features, im my opinion is as good as voxatc, also works with fsx and prepar3d.

Cloudmax brilliant

Ixeg superb

Allport scenery a must

All urls for these are above

Mhaxy

Hi

Ive got p3d fsx and xp, agree with all above, the smoothness when I taxi around dense airfields like egll or egcc etc is amzing compared to fsx and prepar3d,

My only problem is I run full cockpit here and as such my software for it prosim737 does not work with xplane, if there was something the same I could use to setup all my mip, overhead etc, it would be xplane for me all the time

All the addons mentioned above are mostly all you need, only one not mentioned thats great to use is

Pilot2atc,

Http://www.Pilot2atc.com

its a atc program works great and has just been updated with some great features, im my opinion is as good as voxatc, also works with fsx and prepar3d.

Cloudmax brilliant

Ixeg superb

Allport scenery a must

All urls for these are above

Mhazy

To those of you on the fence, guys get X-Plane!

I am a 20 year MSFS user (sounds like an addiction) and just deleted everything FSX related from my machine this past weekend. I thought I might regret it but I do not.

X-Plane now, is like MSFS was 15 years ago. There's an excitement, a buzz, tons of amazing freeware, the product is still in development and works wonderfully on modern machines. It's the exact alternative I was looking for, for commercial simming (outside of the amazing DCS).

And now with IXEG, FF 767, and soon to be PMDG, I have zero reason to ever return to a dead product (or the P3D nonsense). Sure I miss the PMDG family, and Majestic Dash 8, but the peace of mind I get from a working flight simulator is a breath of the sweetest mountain air.

• Upvote 8

That was my thought too. Learning all the quirks of a new flightsim can be a bit overwhelming. P3D is bad enough with all the tweaking and fiddling.

Did you come from P£D and if so, do you still use it?

Same here, I bought x-plane 10 just for trying ixeg 737. Took me a few days to figure it out, sceneries, addons, config etc. A very good youtube channel for x-plane beginners- Osamah Abdullah (Thank You!) 

Now I kinda kick myself for doing this, just because I don't use P3D anymore, where I have invested so much :)

• Upvote 1

Stefan Ticusan

As long as 10 stored views per aricraft are sufficient, you can use X-Plane's built in quick-view function and don't need an addon.

Position the view the way you like/need it, and save it with Ctrl+Num0-9 to any number on the num block. You can then assign any joystick button or key to this view, or just use the number on the num block for quick access.

For example, I usually use 4 for the pilot's view, 6 for the FO side, 8 for the overhead panel etc.

X-camera of course has much more additional features and allows you to store more than 10 presets. But for quick navigation in the cockpit, the built in functionality is sufficient in my opinion.

The biggest thing for me is using TrackIR and headshake on a per view basis, the default system can't do that. Obviously you could hit the pause button but i think it's just a more elegant system all around.

And I absolutely second that, I'm about to do the same this weekend and uninstall fsx forever, and the ixeg 737, ....bloodyhell, it's just amazing, what a buzz it is taking off and landing, never ever have I had such complete immersion from a desktop sim, phenomenal experience. I have had X plane now for nearly 3 years and it's getting better and better all the time.

Regards

Paul EGCC

Regards

Paul EGCC

HD Mesh V3 and Simheavens OSM data are a must. This turns XP's plausible world into a much better representation. Even many smaller cities have enough buildings defined to fill in downtowns. Then it's autogen filling in the rest just like P3D.

I downloaded each to cover the US and Carribean.

I use the head shake plugin, ground services plugin, and a few others. I use FlyJsim's free runway textures and free replacement cloud and sky textures. And of course Real Terra Haze. Steal someone else's settings to get started. All found on x-plane.org.

All of what I listed is Free and it basically got XP to the point where it looks as good or better then P3D in most situations (P3D presents islands and tropical areas much better IMO).

At that point, buy an airplane and fly. XPs cloud representation will be confusing at first although the built in weather engine does a decent job at presenting metar data.

If you need better clouds, Skymaxx v3 is the way to go.

:-), the next one, I know it I should not publish my screenshots :-) ( it´s a joke)

My biggest fear is that I won't wont to go back to P3D after flying GA in XP.

:-) your fears are valid :-), that was my problem after changing over to XP9 and more to XP10.

you will need some time to "get in" but than....

the beginning is on the x-plane.org  http://www.x-plane.org/

scenery:  http://simheaven.com/ in combination with http://zonephoto.x-plane.fr an incredible experience (others are already written like HDMesh and so on...) !

tools : world2xp, g2xpl

plugins: x- camera (http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/24209-x-camera-linmacwin-32-64/) in combination with HeadSheake http://www.simcoders.com/headshake/features-and-download

SeaTraffic, GroundTraffic, GndHandling, AutoGate (you can search all with this names on the x-plane.org, all free )!

FlyWithLua

Xsaitekpanels

EFASS (Tool with moving map etc.....)

Payware: WorldTraffic, X-Life Deluxe, FSRGW (Weather), RC4toXplane (plugin to use RC4 with XP10, works qute well with XP10 see my video:

), PFEtoXplane (same for Pro Flight Emulator), Multi-Crew Experience (XP10)

Planes payware: JarDesing A320/330, see the Boeings are already mentioned (FlightFactor), Peters Aircraft etc.....

sorry there are so many good tools and aircraft (that´s for first now) I can´t write them all down.....

cheers !

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D , watercooled, GeForce RTX 4090, RAM 64GB Kingston Fury 6000Mhz , Fractal Design 7 XL, MSI X670 Carbon, all SSD

Biggest tip. Don't give up. It takes a few hours to get things to the point where you won't want to just go back to P3D.

Once you've got the right stuff installed and you make that first twilight approach you'll know it was worth it, though. No comparison to FSX/P3D.

Also, know what to expect. The ATC and AI traffic are terrible (although there's good free and pay ware ATC plugins). Know it going in and use XP for what it's best at. Most airports will have statics to fill things in and 10.50 will make that universal so no airport is empty.

Biggest tip. Don't give up. It takes a few hours to get things to the point where you won't want to just go back to P3D

Completely agree! I would just change "hours" for "weeks", but I'm very slow at setting anything up, hahaha

Took me weeks to install and get a Linux OS in "working condition" onto my laptop. But now I don't want to go back to Windows :)

• Upvote 2

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

It took me about 2 days, off and on, to get XP10 to the point where I found it flyable (up to my standards). 

The differences in controls will bug you at first as well. 

Welcome to the club, Erich, hopefully you enjoy your stay!

In my opinion, X-Plane is still to be approached from the perspective of simply adding another option to what you might want to fly.  I guess it depends on what your needs are, but I still find reasons to fly P3D & FSX.  But that said, with every new freeware & payware release, the reasons to keep the MSFS based duo around grow less and less.

I do believe the posters above me have done a good job in listing some of the essential addons and resources!

To the admins: When I first installed X-Plane, there used to be a pinned thread that listed the 'essential' freeware addons and resources available. It helped me a lot in gaining a foothold in X-Plane. Not sure where it went, perhaps it ran afoul of Avsim policy?  Anyhow, with the influx of new people to XP, it sure would make sense to have such a thread again!!

• Upvote 2

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

The biggest thing for me is using TrackIR and headshake on a per view basis

Try x-camera.  It's free and their (stick and rudder studios.com) videos explain in detail how to use it.  I just use the camera position functions (with Track-IR), but it is capable of much more.

John

John Wingold

As an FSX die-hard, I recently saw the light with X-Plane after the IXEG 737 came out. My thoughts thus, after 2 weeks of flying it pretty much exclusively:

- The night environment, even out of the box, is to die for and destroys anything I've ever seen in the ESP sims.

- Weather generation isn't there yet. The combo I use is NOAA plugin + real weather connector + skymaxx which works pretty well but there are still occasional cloud pops and weather shifts. Also the 'draw line' for the weather itself is still too visible for my liking. FSX with ASN (notably not P3D with its popcorn clouds) does this better currently. However, with some tweaking (Real Terra Haze and some playing around does the trick) it can look really nice.

-  X-Camera is a must have for me as the pan is much smoother than the rather jerky default camera, plus smooth transitions between cameras, a la EZDOK.

- The sim feels so much more modern and can run really smoothly even at places like LHR and AMS, both nightmares in FSX. 

- The flight model is less forgiving. You really NEED to fly X-Plane as it feels much more fluid. FSX just flies on rails.

- Scenery development is behind the curve for those coming straight from FSX/P3D. Do not expect Flightbeam/Flytampa masterpieces just yet. There are some freeware gems and some decent payware is coming through but it may be some time before you've got the whole planet modelled to the standard we see on the other side. The plus side of that is the lighting and effects of X-Plane out the box are much more advanced so even an average scenery in XP looks okay. The old 'fly there at night' trick rings very true. 

- You can say bye bye to OOMs, blurry textures and all that 32-bit nonsense. All the tech in X-Plane is bang up to date and all that cash spent on your PC gets harnessed. However, don't be under any illusion that if you go bonkers on the HDR, AA and detail level that it'll run at 60fps. It won't!

- Apart from the IXEG, none of the jets are up to PMDG level - yet. The FF 767 is probably as good as it gets, but it's kind of mid-level against the PMDG yardstick. 

In summary, it's a good time for X-Plane. Bear in mind we don't know what DT have up their sleeves in terms of DLC for DTG Flight Simulator and it might just be that the big devs bet the farm instead on porting to a modern 64-bit sim that is still open architecture - X-Plane...

• Upvote 2

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com