Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

So I bought Xplane 10...

I have both P3D V3 and XP10. I love XP to fly helicopters but probably will test IXEG soon. XP needs more PMDG like developers.

José Fco. Ibáñez /// i7 6700k (Delid) @ 4,6 Ghz /// Asrock Z170 OC Formula /// 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 /// GTX 1070 Founders Edition 8GB /// LG 27UD58 4K 27' // OCZ Vertex 4 SSD (X-Plane 10) & SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD (P3D V3) /// Windows 10 Pro x64

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

That was my thought too. Learning all the quirks of a new flightsim can be a bit overwhelming. P3D is bad enough with all the tweaking and fiddling.

Did you come from P£D and if so, do you still use it?

i still use p3d only for the pmdg 777, thats it, i can max x-plane 10 out with hd scenery without having to pick and choose what i can run or can't run.for instance max p3d out with aerosoft heathrow and the 777 and you have an oom,xplane i can use the flight factor 767 with aerosoft heathrow and fly for hours and not have to worry about a crash.p3d will be non existent to me all together if the next version doesn't go 64 bit.the new dovetail flight sim, i can only speculate it will be another train simulator where you buy addon after addon.if that's the case i won't even bother with it.

I am trying  to keep run 2 sims... X plane 10 and P3D v3. :wub:

José Luís

| Flightsimulator: MSFS | Add-Ons: | PMDG Douglas DC-6 | PMDG 737-700 | Fenix A320 | Maddog X MD82| FSW CESSNA 414AW CHANCELLOR |

I am trying to keep run 2 sims... X plane 10 and P3D v3. :wub:

I do the same! Both great sims

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Okay, so on paper you guys have completely convinced me.  There are many respondents here who's opinion I always valued over the years for FSX/P3D.  I had wondered where you'd all disappeared to  :smile:

I have been simming since 1998 (FS98).  Like many,  I flew almost all and everything available over the years and have invested more than I probably should have.  But I figure, anything that brings so much pleasure deserves investment.   After many years of bashing around in 'non-complex' or 'semi-complex' aircraft of the GA and airliner variety, I've finally over the past three years settled on flying only airliners.   I find myself not even flying my favourite Real Air Duke any longer.  I enjoy the learning and because I have more time to dedicate to it I can devote an entire day to just one flight with all that it entails.  I also fly everything on VATSIM these days, which provides a huge immersion factor.  I have finally tuned P3D to work exactly how I like it.  The viewing systems (with TrackIR), the weather, Pe11e's new shader mod. ASN, the tons of high quality airport addons, PMDG - it all works seemlesly in 55' 4K brilliance.

So I'd be looking to transfer that experience to Xplane.  The non-negotiables for me are going to be TrackIR, great and realistic weather, no hard line weather draws of any description, Vatsim, and of course a great aircraft.  So, in between training for a half-marathon and trying to enjoy some great London weather, I'm going to get the IXEG on Friday and spend most of Saturday setting Xplane up. Hopefully by Sunday I'll have a great new flightsim.  :smile:

Are there any model matching sets for Xplane for use on Vatsim?  Also, in almost 80 of screenshots I've seen of Xplane, it always looks dark.  Is there a mod that makes the environment brighter?  

Thanks so much or all of your commentaries.  Much appreciated.  Hopefully I'll see the light too  :smile:

• Upvote 2

I have finally tuned P3D to work exactly how I like it.  The viewing systems (with TrackIR), the weather, Pe11e's new shader mod. ASN, the tons of high quality airport addons, PMDG - it all works seemlesly in 55' 4K brilliance.

To be honest, this sounds like the perfect simulator for you -- hopefully you don't uninstall it while trying to get into X-Plane, because you won't get everything you mentioned in the same quality for X-Plane, esp. weather is not yet on par, and while in the last years a lot of good and partly excellent airports have been published (many of them freeware, esp. look for MisterX6), their number is not exactly "tons".

On the other hand, aircraft like the IXEG 737, the FlightFactor 767, the LES Saab 340, the REP-enhanced Carenado T210M or the AirFoilLabs C172 give you great aircraft to fly; I'd say at least with these aircraft X-Plane is finally playing in the top-league.

But anyway, you WILL have to learn a lot, and you will have to make some compromises at the current stage (but saying "at the current stage" will probably always be the case with X-Plane, because it is constantly developed and receives new features. Currently waiting around the corner is XP 10.50, which improves autogen and weather).

Regarding the brightness, there's a gamma setting in X-Plane's rendering window.

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

The non-negotiables for me are going to be TrackIR, great and realistic weather

Also, in almost 80 of screenshots I've seen of Xplane, it always looks dark.  Is there a mod that makes the environment brighter? 

The visual depiction of weather in X-Plane, particularly for vertical developed clouds, is not on par yet with FSX.

There are 3 ways to make the image brighter:

1) increasing the gamma setting in the rendering menu (but that might produce washed out images)

2) using a freeware plugin called blufx

3) increasing some specific datarefs (internal variables), but this requires some tweaking to do.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

hopefully you don't uninstall P3D while trying to get into X-Plane,

Definitely not. It ticks all my boxes. Although I am keen to experience the night lighting and atmospherics in X-plane along with the different feel of the flight dynamics which many have talked about. I do have managed expectations but have finally decided to give Xplane an equal chance after many years of just being an FSX/P3D f.an boy

The visual depiction of weather in X-Plane, particularly for vertical developed clouds, is not on par yet with FSX

Pity

2) using a freeware plugin called blufx

Can you please provide a link for that plugin? I've googled and found relevant hits but not where to download the latest official version. Thanks!

Can you please provide a link for that plugin? I've googled and found relevant hits but not where to download the latest official version. Thanks!

http://ge.tt/9ODOgjd1/v/0

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

I have been seeing Youtube videos of IXEG 737 all day and i am seriously thinking to move to XP and forget P3D at all.

José Fco. Ibáñez /// i7 6700k (Delid) @ 4,6 Ghz /// Asrock Z170 OC Formula /// 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 /// GTX 1070 Founders Edition 8GB /// LG 27UD58 4K 27' // OCZ Vertex 4 SSD (X-Plane 10) & SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD (P3D V3) /// Windows 10 Pro x64

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

Definitely not. It ticks all my boxes. Although I am keen to experience the night lighting and atmospherics in X-plane along with the different feel of the flight dynamics which many have talked about. I do have managed expectations but have finally decided to give Xplane an equal chance after many years of just being an FSX/P3D f.an boy

Pity

I just never feel a real difference. Some X-Planes just move the nose side to side, which of course, means the tail is also wagging side to side in the opposite direction.  People may think this is livelier, as with moving air. To me, it's "dutch roll", and I desperately push both feet on the rudder pedals to stiffen the rudder............as I would in real life.  For passengers in a back seat, dutch roll isn't great on the stomach.  Other than that, with high frame rates for either sim (actually FSX, don't have 3PD), the smoothness, which amounts to more fluid,  is there, either way.  

One thing I do not like about XP is the way clouds are depicted - it just doesn't look realistic.   At least in the screenies I've seen.   Does anyone use REX for XP - looking for the REX Soft Cloud look.

Sounds good Will..  Thanks for your views.

Hello Erich, welcome on board! I started using X-Plane 10 just under a year and a half ago. I had X-Plane 9, but rarely used it. Since then, I've used X-Plane about 90% of the time and it's getting better and better. For Clouds I use Skymaxx Pro and RWC (Real weather connector) a plugin which runs with Skymaxx Pro. A bit pricey but still worth it. I did have to update my graphics card to a 4gb and 16GB Ram is about enough as it's a 64bit application, but personally I have 32GB ram but I don't think it's ever utilized it .

As for aircraft, I'm happy with the MD80, the B767 and of course the IXEG 737, and x737, and the 757 is also excellent in it's own right.

PS: If you want to see how good some freeware scenery is, check out http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/24981-ymml-melbourne-isdg/

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

I just never feel a real difference. Some X-Planes just move the nose side to side, which of course, means the tail is also wagging side to side in the opposite direction.  People may think this is livelier, as with moving air. To me, it's "dutch roll", and I desperately push both feet on the rudder pedals to stiffen the rudder............as I would in real life.  For passengers in a back seat, dutch roll isn't great on the stomach.  Other than that, with high frame rates for either sim (actually FSX, don't have 3PD), the smoothness, which amounts to more fluid,  is there, either way.  

I don't want to start a debate I really don't, but it disturbs me when people say this. I was an fsx user for many years and I noticed immediately when I first flew in xplane that the flight dynamics are a lot better and realistic. Its noticeable on takeoff, in flight and specially when landing, which in fsx requires little effort compared to x plane.

I would like to encourage you to give xplane another shot. Set up your controls properly, disable aircraft stability under controls and get used of the very sensitive trim, which I hate by the way, but no sim is perfect.

Regards

ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha

Intel Core i7 6700K 4.5GHz

Corsair Vengeance Black LPX 32GB

Asus STRIX GTX 1080

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

Set up your controls properly

What does that mean?

I assigned my various axes last night but for some reason the 'roll' axis wouldn't assign to my yoke. Any ideas why? I didn't spend too much time on it - I'll try and set it all up this weekend. Just thought it was odd. I'm using a PFC yoke.