Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

So I bought Xplane 10...

I have FSX SE, P3D and now XP installed in my machine....I find they all have something to offer, but if I am brutally honest, the reliability of XP sees me using it more and more. I only ever had 1 CTD in it, when I downloaded high resolution scenery for all of Europe, only had 8G of RAM and my settings way too high....not sure what I was expecting.

I'll disagree with you Will ... one can run into the same types of CTDs in XP10 just as in P3D when one starts to add 3rd party content.  From that perspective both P3D and XP10 are still very much at the mercy of the add-on being used.  I actually find myself doing more "tweaking" in XP10 than I do in P3D for day to day flights.

One thing I do not like about XP is the way clouds are depicted - it just doesn't look realistic.

Yes, weather/clouds in XP10 leaves much to be desired.  There are other color issues that I just don't like about XP10 that I've been trying to resolve, I'm patiently waiting for .50 release that I hope improves performance.  As of now, I can't run anywhere nearly as much AG or other graphics details as I can in P3D and the lack of multi-GPU support in XP10 is a real bummer ... hopefully that changes with .50.

As far as add-ons I like:

SkymaxxPro V3

IXEG 737

Mesh V3

Aerosoft Airports

GoFlight Interface for XPlane 

Carenado Aircraft (these actually tend to be better quality in XP10 than their counterparts in P3D)

As far as freeware, that's kinda a double edge sword, on one hand it's nice to get free stuff, but on the other hand no guarantee of support or updates and tends to be less "polished" ... but the irony in the freeware is that it can actually deter 3rd party "payware" development and IMHO, XP10 needs more payware 3rd party development.

XP10 is not my "go to" sim, but it's certainly worthy of supporting it's continued development.  Just be patient with the Ben/Austin ... it takes time for them to get stuff done, but they are good dedicated individuals ... I do wish they'd move to DX12, but Ben's a Mac/Unix guy thru and thru so it's unlikely XP10 will ever move to DX12 (or any DX) and will forever remain OpenGL.

It's good to have simulator options, it can be difficult maintaining multiple platforms, but XP10 is worth it and I think you'll enjoy.

Cheers, Rob.

What does that mean?

I assigned my various axes last night but for some reason the 'roll' axis wouldn't assign to my yoke. Any ideas why? I didn't spend too much time on it - I'll try and set it all up this weekend. Just thought it was odd. I'm using a PFC yoke.

Not sure why that would happen. Did you tried calibrating your yoke?

ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha

Intel Core i7 6700K 4.5GHz

Corsair Vengeance Black LPX 32GB

Asus STRIX GTX 1080

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

I actually find myself doing more "tweaking" in XP10 than I do in P3D for day to day flights.

Come on Rob, you are kidding right!!!

You have to be a professional juggler to get P3D to run smooth, seriously, having to assign application to this core and that core, bla bla bla. Just look at the P3D forum, most people are doing more juggling that flying, complaining about blurries, mirco stutters, VAS all the time.

It's been a long while since I moved a slider on my setup, performance is phenomenal, no blurries or stutters and I don't have to worry about VAS, I spend 99 of my time flying with no juggling.

By the way, I tried P3D for 30 days and spend quite a bit of time trying to get rid of those dreaded blurries and micro stutters with no luck, gave up and haven't looked back. I do have descent hardware by the way, enough to have XP run smooth with lots of eye candy, HDR and no blurries.

ohh and not to mention the amount of $$$$ I have save by sticking with XP with all the great freeware/donationware out there. 

• Upvote 3

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

You have to be a professional juggler to get P3D to run smooth, seriously, having to assign application to this core and that core, bla bla bla. Just look at the P3D forum, most people are doing more juggling that flying, complaining about blurries, mirco stutters, VAS all the time.

It's been a long while since I moved a slider on my setup, performance is phenomenal, no blurries or stutters and I don't have to worry about VAS, I spend 99 of my time flying with no juggling.

By the way, I tried P3D for 30 days and spend quite a bit of time trying to get rid of those dreaded blurries and micro stutters with no luck, gave up and haven't looked back. I do have descent hardware by the way, enough to have XP run smooth with lots of eye candy, HDR and no blurries.

ohh and not to mention the amount of $$$$ I have save by sticking with XP with all the great freeware/donation ware out there. 

Carlos,

You pointed out the tweaking being done in P3D, citing examples of how there is more tweaking being done than flying and I would have to disagree.  I have found that with the latest version of P3D, there is very minimal tweaking to be done.  I have no additions or tweaks, as you call them, in my cfg file, and I have minimal adjustments made via the nvidia control panel, as I ditched the nvidia inspector now.  Any real setting changes happen within the sim and have very little impact between changes.  I am honestly pleased with the latest development of P3D, but then again, everyone's rigs are different and when you take into account the bevy of add-ons out there that people use, it can be a game changer either way.

Remember folks, tweak responsibly. :)

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Kind of a weird thing to say when the guy works for LM. 

• Upvote 2

I have no additions or tweaks, as you call them, in my cfg file,

Did not mention any tweaking or cfg file, I was referring to the actual sim rendering sliders. From what I've been reading in the P3D forums, people do have to fiddle with AM and core assignments based on addons.

Rob may be a beta tester for LM but I don't think he works for LM. 

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Did not mention any tweaking or cfg file, I was referring to the actual sim rendering sliders. From what I've been reading in the P3D forums, people do have to fiddle with AM and core assignments based on addons.

Rob may be a beta tester for LM but I don't think he works for LM. 

I don't frequent those forums, although AVSIM has it's fair share of productive discussion concerning the settings as a whole.  I suppose I am part of a small percentage of those who don't bother with Affinity Mask settings or core assignments.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I don't frequent those forums, although AVSIM has it's fair share of productive discussion concerning the settings as a whole.  I suppose I am part of a small percentage of those who don't bother with Affinity Mask settings or core assignments.

Good for you Yashigashi, at the end all that matters is the fun you get out of the your sim, whether is one or other, I have chosen to stick with the one.

...and the lack of multi-GPU support in XP10 is a real bummer ... hopefully that changes with .50.

Last I heard, multi-GPU support is incompatible with X-Plane's render engine. Here's a post from the dev blog explaining the reasons:

http://www.x-plane.com/?article=slicrossfire-x-plane

That's from 2014, but I haven't heard that it's changing any time soon (someone correct me if that's wrong).

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I'll disagree with you Will ... one can run into the same types of CTDs in XP10 just as in P3D when one starts to add 3rd party content.  From that perspective both P3D and XP10 are still very much at the mercy of the add-on being used.  I actually find myself doing more "tweaking" in XP10 than I do in P3D for day to day flights.

You're doing it wrong then Rob! :smile: Once you find the sweet spot for your system all should be good from there on out is what I personally have found. It's one thing I really love about XP, that I can just get in and fly without any messing about. I suppose everyone's experience is probably different though. I personally get only the very occasional crash with XP.

Last I heard, multi-GPU support is incompatible with X-Plane's render engine. Here's a post from the dev blog explaining the reasons:

http://www.x-plane.com/?article=slicrossfire-x-plane

That's from 2014, but I haven't heard that it's changing any time soon (someone correct me if that's wrong).

It doesn't state that SLI/Crossfire is incompatible, it just states the XPlane will not benefit from it. It does state that if your hardware is limited by Fill Rate then SLI/Crossfire probably will show a boost in performance, as opposed to XPlane not being limited by Fill Rate.

As stated by LR

"X-Plane is typically not fill rate-limited."

So I don't think LR is even considering implementation of SLI/Crossfire any time soon.

Nope, don't work for LM ... paying customer for LM and LR and FSX (don't use anymore) and DCS and probably DTG soon.

I wasn't suggesting one or the other, both platforms have CTD and in almost all cases it's due to a 3rd party add-on.  Both platforms require some effort to get working "the best they can be" ... what I don't like about XP10 is the manual managing of the scenery_packs.ini (i.e. this process)... if someone has a better way of dealing with this file please let me know.

I have found my sweet spot in XP10, it's just not as high (visual details) as the sweet spot for P3D with exception of night lighting ... this is where XP10 really shines.  Now with IXEG 737 and XP10's night lighting, it has sparked me into more night flights.  In addition to Steve's GIT for Xplane tool, it's opened the door for using my GoFlight gear in Xplane.  For day flights and/or flights with some interesting weather I'll hit P3D.  P3D with many add-ons, I need to be aware of VAS, in XP10 I don't care about VAS.  Plus and minus for each platform.

It's not a matter of "one or the other", it's more a matter of what mood I'm in today.  I'd produce more XP10 videos, but it's difficult to get a recording to work under XP10 using ShadowPlay.  For P3D new payware products are being released almost daily, for XP10 it's much longer (weeks or even months, or in the case of IXEG 737 six years), so I tend to spend more time in P3D.  No good or bad here, just what it is ... it's all good.

Cheers, Rob.

if someone has a better way of dealing with this file please let me know.

Here is what I do Rob,

I label custom scenery folders alphabetically in the order that is suggested by LR and Alpilox with his UHD mesh.:

aaa_Airports

bbb...

ccc...and so on...

zzz_UHD_Global

This has work for me flawlessly.

Every time I add new scenery I just label the folder based on suggested priority, delete the INI file (I don't even bother to edit it) and fire up XP, INI file will automatically be regenerated reflecting the changes. Same thing when you need to remove a folder...just move/delete, delete INI file, and that is it.

It does not take more then a minute or so to add new scenery to XP

• Upvote 1

just what it is ... it's all good

Indeed.  I'll agree with you there.

Each platform has it's strengths, and it's great that so many of us are open-minded enough to recognize that. :smile:

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.