Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

So I bought Xplane 10...

How it is possible to judge flight model behaviour with a self centering stick/Yoke not even able to simulate trim correctly, and simply overall can`t feel right.

I know, it`s expensive, but at least for me a force feedback Yoke made a world of difference when judging about flight modelling in XPlane and P3D.

No preferences on my side, it all comes down to the individual Addons. A2A Cessna feels better than Airfoil Cessna for me.

Beech F33 with REP in XPlane feels better than any single engine Beech I have tried in FSX/P3D.

XPlane more realistic than P3D or vice-versa ?

I don`t take any of these general statements.

Mike

1. A320 home cockpit (FSLabs, Skalarki), P3Dv5  Main PC : I7-12700K, GTX3080Ti

2. FSLabs A3xx, P3Dv5. Gigabyte Aorus 17G YC, I7-10700K, RTX 3080

How it is possible to judge flight model behaviour with a self centering stick/Yoke not even able to simulate trim correctly, and simply overall can`t feel right.

I know, it`s expensive, but at least for me a force feedback Yoke made a world of difference when judging about flight modelling in XPlane and P3D.

No preferences on my side, it all comes down to the individual Addons. A2A Cessna feels better than Airfoil Cessna for me.

Beech F33 with REP in XPlane feels better than any single engine Beech I have tried in FSX/P3D.

XPlane more realistic than P3D or vice-versa ?

I don`t take any of these general statements.

Mike

I use a Saitek X52 stick, which has a lighter spring, than my previous Saitek, where I lightened the spring.  My mind senses trim, because I flew planes for many years, I suppose. I'm not even sure, that I'd like force feedback.  When a real airplane is trimmed, there are certainly forces on the stick/yoke, which keeps them centered ( more or less). If I removed the centering spring, the stick would feel totally wrong. Never the less, I do sense trim, inertia, feel of right pedal against a left drift force, power to weight, etc................if the model is decent. Without doubt, my mind feels much of the gaps. Still not perfect though. 

Honestly no sim is really close to the real thing - I was able to fly the Cirrus Jet (literally not just ride along) a few weeks back and sitting in front of your PC totally misses the feel of flying (as we all know).

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

the only exception being the skies, so beautifully done, visually and in some effects, by Active Sky...

If I could have ASN + REX soft clouds in my X-Plane, that matched the depiction that I get in FSX, I would be in heaven.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Scenery development is behind the curve for those coming straight from FSX/P3D. Do not expect Flightbeam/Flytampa masterpieces just yet. There are some freeware gems and some decent payware is coming through but it may be some time before you've got the whole planet modelled to the standard we see on the other side. The plus side of that is the lighting and effects of X-Plane out the box are much more advanced so even an average scenery in XP looks okay. The old 'fly there at night' trick rings very true. 

I just want to point out that we've been saying "don't expect it just yet" for literally years and years w/ XP scenery, weather and most noticeably to me...

Everything in XPX "looks the same".  All the regions, all the different climate zones....You never get the feeling you've literally changed locations drastically around the globe in XP.

This is very noticeable in tropical areas where....nothing appears even remotely "tropical" unfortunately.

• Upvote 1

Everything in XPX "looks the same".

So does everything in FSX/P3D. The whole world looks like the sub-urbs from a major American city...

Out of the box, XP-10 looks MUCH better than FSX/P3D. I think there's no denying that.

• Upvote 4

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

So does everything in FSX/P3D. The whole world looks like the sub-urbs from a major American city...

Out of the box, XP-10 looks MUCH better than FSX/P3D. I think there's no denying that.

Does anyone here fly either sim "out of the box"?

XPX is atrocious in terms of scenery "out of the box"...

I do fly FSX pretty much "out of the box", because FSX is my Boeing 777 simulator. The only add-ons I use are ASN, FSGlobal for the mesh (mesh is important, scenery itself, not really) and some airports I usually fly to.

Also I don't have the money now to pay for Orbx Global + Vector +`Landclass...

It (vanilla FSX) does look better than some Full Flight Simulators I've had access to, in which the terrain is a big chunk of blurry green, but it still does look MUCH worse than XP10. I don't agree in that XP10 is "atrocious", but it seems we won't agree, so I'm leaving it here.

• Upvote 3

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

It's entirely subjective. Personally I feel X-Plane looks a lot better out the box than the ESP sims, but again that's only my feeling on it.

I think the IXEG 737 has brought some new focus to X-Plane as there is for the first time a PMDG-level aircraft to fly in it. There's clearly a demand for better scenery, better weather and a better global environment and I don't doubt that the developers will plug this gap. I'm already talking to some devs about this very matter.

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

I don't care about better scenery for xplane. I am flying when using my sim not sightseeing. All I want, and wish, is to have Active Sky Next Xplane edition. 

EDIT: There is Mesh HD v3 available for xplane and it improves the scenery alot. I don't use it because fps trade off is too much but some of you might wish to check it out.

ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha

Intel Core i7 6700K 4.5GHz

Corsair Vengeance Black LPX 32GB

Asus STRIX GTX 1080

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

I just want to point out that we've been saying "don't expect it just yet" for literally years and years w/ XP scenery, weather and most noticeably to me...

Everything in XPX "looks the same".  All the regions, all the different climate zones....You never get the feeling you've literally changed locations drastically around the globe in XP.

This is very noticeable in tropical areas where....nothing appears even remotely "tropical" unfortunately.

This looks tropical to me:

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/30391-ncmn-manuae-airport/

If the entire world in XP 10 looks the same to you, then I can conclude you have not really experienced X Plane. Do some research and you will be enlightened.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

True, the tropics are an especially weak point, but I'm not sure FSX/P3D (or likely DTG's upcoming sim) are any better in the vanilla sim. Tropical islands only look good in both major sims with hand-painted bitmaps for water colors in add-on scenery. But at least you can get that in X-Plane for a few popular airports in the tropics. 

Here's what we need to make it better, and I think we'll get there eventually:

Four-season terrain overlay in the lower and higher latitudes for changes in leaf color, snow, etc. I've heard there are people working on this, possibly as a 3rd party add-on. Or maybe we'll get it built into the core engine when v11 rolls out in a year or two. Either way, this can't be too far away, I think.

Non-USA-based autogen building assets for tropical areas, including things like clay tile roofs. That would help the more built-up areas. Heck, even Miami and parts of the SouthWest USA would look better. This is probably also on the near horizon.

Autogen water colors based on actual hydrographic data for depth and water clarity. That would give us the turquoise shallows in the Bahamas and South Pacific. And also more realistic colors everywhere else, like a brown Amazon River. This sounds complicated, and probably low priority on Laminar's to-do list. I hope they get there eventually. It would really dress up the sim.

• Upvote 2

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Here's what we need to make it better, and I think we'll get there eventually:

Four-season terrain overlay in the lower and higher latitudes for changes in leaf color, snow, etc. I've heard there are people working on this, possibly as a 3rd party add-on. Or maybe we'll get it built into the core engine when v11 rolls out in a year or two. Either way, this can't be too far away, I think.

Non-USA-based autogen building assets for tropical areas, including things like clay tile roofs. That would help the more built-up areas. Heck, even Miami and parts of the SouthWest USA would look better. This is probably also on the near horizon.

Autogen water colors based on actual hydrographic data for depth and water clarity. That would give us the turquoise shallows in the Bahamas and South Pacific. And also more realistic colors everywhere else, like a brown Amazon River. This sounds complicated, and probably low priority on Laminar's to-do list. I hope they get there eventually. It would really dress up the sim.

Couldn't have said it better - These changes are the meaningful ones that are needed!

All great ideas - Hope they come!

I don't care about better scenery for xplane. I am flying when using my sim not sightseeing. All I want, and wish, is to have Active Sky Next Xplane edition. 

EDIT: There is Mesh HD v3 available for xplane and it improves the scenery alot. I don't use it because fps trade off is too much but some of you might wish to check it out.

I wouldn't of bothered, owning an actual airplane, hangar rent, insurance, and all of that...................if it wasn't for the scenery.   I wouldn't be flight simming, if there was limited scenery.  

In the old days, much of flying was navigation, while passengers enjoyed the scenery. These days, with modern nav systems, pilots can actually see a lot of the great scenery, that was just there, somewhere in the distance. 

My wife, myself, and friends, spent many years flying the western USA.  Great looking scenery like the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Lake Powell, Yellowstone, Colorado river, the Tetons, and Rocky Mountains. 

I really enjoy Orbx scenery for FSX, and the mountain/desert landscapes, that X-Plane does so well.  

Never much cared for IFR, and a runway appearing out of the grey mass,  after hours of boredom or terror, or something in between.