Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

So I bought Xplane 10...

Totally agree, would be a smart upgrade.

Carlos mind posting your Skymaxx settings? Even with a 4790K and a 980Ti I havent found a good balance of settings that will give me smooth frames in dense cloud cover. I am usually CPU limited in these situations even @ 4.9GHz.

Carlos mind posting your Skymaxx settings? Even with a 4790K and a 980Ti I havent found a good balance of settings that will give me smooth frames in dense cloud cover. I am usually CPU limited in these situations even @ 4.9GHz.

Felipe, I have Skymaxx in default settings, I tried different settings but eventually reverted back to default as this has given me a stable 30fs I was searching for in all weather conditions. The only issue I have is the 1-2 sec pause when skymaxx updates weather conditions.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Felipe, I have Skymaxx in default settings, I tried different settings but eventually reverted back to default as this has given me a stable 30fs I was searching for in all weather conditions. The only issue I have is the 1-2 sec pause when skymaxx updates weather conditions.

Cheers Carlos, I will try this out.

Does SkyMaxx do weather or do you need RWC?

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

Neither Skymaxx nor RWC do weather. They display whatever weather is set in the sim (static or real weather) or is injected through an external weather engine like FSGRW, NOAA plugin etc.

RWC is an enhancement on top of Skymaxx, but it is not needed for Skymaxx to work with real weather.

• Upvote 1

Does SkyMaxx do weather or do you need RWC?

Skymaxx is a set of cloud and sky textures that gets applied dynamically, think of it like REX for P3D, not 100% similar but the general idea is there.

Real Weather Connector is a piece of software that attempts to push Skymaxx past the weather limitations of XP.

curious about this too. How much difference does RWC really make? What would be the difference if you just ran SMP with just native weather engine?

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

curious about this too. How much difference does RWC really make? What would be the difference if you just ran SMP with just native weather engine?

RWC allows the weather engine to draw weather from more than one METAR. So in theory you can fly into and out of weather more smoothly than default. Without it the WX you see at nay given moment is based off of one METAR report and is uniform all over.

RWC allows the weather engine to draw weather from more than one METAR. So in theory you can fly into and out of weather more smoothly than default. Without it the WX you see at nay given moment is based off of one METAR report and is uniform all over.

Thanks. That makes sense.  Now just have to wait for the impossible sale

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

This is what confuses me with XP! So what about the NOAA plug in? Do I need that with it as well?

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

The NOAA-Plugin is "just" one of the available weather engines for X-Plane, with the benefit that it is free (donationware) and that it offers global winds aloft, while X-Planes built in real weater will get global coverage of winds aloft in 10.50.

So no, if all you want is real weather with reasonable accuracy and a very limited set of options, you don't need an external weather engine or the NOAA plugin. Weather and it's representation in the sim is still one of X-Planes weak spots, and I would not invest too much time or money in this subject at the moment, because 10.50 will probably show some progress in terms of global winds aloft, and Hifi Sim Tech have ASN for X-Plane in the works, which might well become our next best option.

There is no indication about when ASN will be available for X-Plane. It's still WIP.

The NOAA-Plugin is "just" one of the available weather engines for X-Plane, with the benefit that it is free (donationware) and that it offers global winds aloft, while X-Planes built in real weater will get global coverage of winds aloft in 10.50.

So no, if all you want is real weather with reasonable accuracy and a very limited set of options, you don't need an external weather engine or the NOAA plugin. Weather and it's representation in the sim is still one of X-Planes weak spots, and I would not invest too much time or money in this subject at the moment, because 10.50 will probably show some progress in terms of global winds aloft, and Hifi Sim Tech have ASN for X-Plane in the works, which might well become our next best option.

There is no indication about when ASN will be available for X-Plane. It's still WIP.

Thanks for the info. That will be another big game changer when ASN comes to X-Plane. I seldom fly in FSX without it.

Tom Wright

you can have a whole new SIM set up for a small fraction of the price that it would cost you to purchase any other SIM,

gotta react here....there is a dearth of add-ons available for Xplane compared to the FsX/P3d I would estimate a conservative 1:20...why? ROI...

I certainly hope the advent of XP11 creates a new enthusiastic and demonstrably growing audience...and...

...more diplomatic measures are taken at the top to preclude the debacle we have seen with OrbX's JV and AM(We need to know more about that)....we can't afford to loose any more major DEVS.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

I think that most XP simmers are very content now that they have "xEnviro."

It's the add-on of the year for XP IMH.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I think that most XP simmers are very content now that they have "xEnviro."

It's the add-on of the year for XP IMH.

Does it do everything AS16 does or does it just 'look' good