Sign in to follow this  
Tight Git

RC4 with Concorde

Good evening,

I've been using RC4 very successfully with PMDG747 for a couple of years now.

Having just updated my FSLabs Concorde to the latest version, I'm getting:

"IPC Request contains bad data" when I try to start RC4 with Concorde.

I'm using the same FSX launch procedure as with the 747, apart from starting with the default Cessna and then changing to Concorde as per the FSLabs advice.

Any ideas, please?

TG.

(Please be aware that I'm a pensioner with only a basic computer knowledge!)

TG,

I'm using RC4 with Concorde successfully so the problem is probably a local one on your PC.

Check the version of FSUIPC4 you have installed and report back please. Version number, not 'the latest'.

You should actually have the Trike as your default flight, not the Cessna. However, this is not related to your problem.

There are some special procedures required when running RC4 with Concorde but I'll cover those once you have the problem sorted.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Thanks for your very quick reply.

I assume you mean the version of FSUIPC4.DLL which is in the Modules folder in FSX?

If so, it says: 4.9.3.9

Hope this is the information you require.

TG.

Thanks TG. You have an older version. Get 4.95 from here and see if that makes a difference.

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/80977-updated-modules/

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Thanks again Mr Proudfoot.

Can I just install that over the existing, please?

Also, since I have a paid copy, is there anything extra to do?

Hi TG,

Yes, just run the installer and it will replace the old version with the new one. Check afterwards to confirm you have the latest.

No need for anything extra as far as I recall.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hello again,

First the good news!

FSUIPC4 updated to 4.95 without problems and RC4 now connects to Concorde.

However, now unable to select the PMDG747 as the system can't find PMDGOptions.DLL,

although it's still there in the PMDG folder in FSX.

Being a born coward, I did do a backup (Norton Ghost) last week before installing the updated Concorde, but I'd rather not restore back that far if possible.

Any suggestions, please?

You need to post in the PMDG forum but first check that dll is present in your DLL.XML file.

You can find that file in C:\Users\[yourname]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Back again!

I think I've retrieved the situation by reinstating the DLL.XML file that existed just before the Concorde installation.

(How this got messed up is well beyond my computer expertise!)

A brief test shows I can now load both Concorde and the PMDG747, and RC4 connects to either.

Now, what are these special procedures, please?

http://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a92/dll_xml-information-and-troubleshooting.aspx

http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library and download the FSX DLL Viewer and Repair utility as a viewer for trouble shooting to check on its contents.

In summary, it is an index of dll files to  load as needed by various products. IN FS9 everything in the Modules folder was loaded.

In FSX a lot of the configuration files are in the xml language as opposed to plain text.

Back again!

I think I've retrieved the situation by reinstating the DLL.XML file that existed just before the Concorde installation.

(How this got messed up is well beyond my computer expertise!)

A brief test shows I can now load both Concorde and the PMDG747, and RC4 connects to either.

Now, what are these special procedures, please?

You need to check that DLL includes the 3 FSLabs entries. If it doesn't Concorde won't work.

As far as flying Concorde with RC4 is concerned here are some tips:-

1) Select Speedbird Concorde from the Callsign list. This doesn't change anything in RC but you get the correct callsign.

2) Make sure you deselect the RVSM option before you start RC4

3) If your flight includes a subsonic leg before going supersonic (i.e. EGLL-KJFK) you need to set your cruise altitude to 260. Once you reach the accel point you can request higher culminating in FL600. This is to avoid RC clearing you higher before the accel point.

4) If you don't need a subsonic phase then enter cruise level as 600. This would include flights out of TBPB and KJFK where you're over ocean soon after take-off.

5) Most important. RC4 requires a minimum climb rate of 200fpm to avoid the watchdog telling you off. You can switch him off temporarily by selecting the Turbulence option once your climb rate drops below 500fpm. Your climb rate won't be monitored until you turn it back on just after you start your descent procedure.

6) At end of cruise-climb you need to slow down before you start down. To avoid RC telling you off make sure you have control of comms near the ToD point. If you need to start down before RC instructs you down then request lower altitude. If he instructs you down before your calculated point request 3) Pilot Discretion repeating if necessary.

Descend according to procedure. RC will give you lower altitudes to ensure you reach FL110/FL120 40dme from arrival. Including a 40nm waypoint in your plan will make this easier to achieve. You can maintain 350kts until cleared below 10,000ft. At that point you should be 250kts or slower.

Hope that helps.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

It certainly does help, so many thanks!  :smile:

I do indeed have the FSLabs entries in the DLL, presumably left over from the original Concorde installation.

Are these correct for the updated Concorde, please?

Mr Ginsberg, thanks for that very useful software.

It never ceases to amaze me how there's a solution to every problem if you know where to look.

TG,

I'm assuming you've updated to the latest v1.3 Concorde. If you haven't then uninstall your current version and install 1.3.

if you've bought Concorde in the last couple of months the entries are fine.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Yes, I originally installed the FSLabs Concorde about 3 years ago and this is the updated version bought last week.

From the article supplied by Mr Ginsberg, it would appear that installing the new version might have affected the DLL.

(This is not an accusation, as I have little knowledge of such things!)

In 1985, my dear departed parents did one of the "Round the Bay" charter trips in BOAC (now 3 miles west of you!)

Ten years later, my son and I did the same in BOAD for my 50th birthday.

So, rather than do EGLL-KJFK, I'm going to try to recreate those flights.

Thanks again for all your assistance. :smile:

Hi TG,

You should be okay with the FSLabs entries in DLL.XML but as soon as you load Concorde and choose the Preliminary Panel state from the FSLabs menu you'll have confirmation.

I'm very envious of anyone who has flown in this magnificent aircraft. I couldn't afford the £500 sub-sonic flights back in the 90s so have never been on her in flight.

I did fly on the simulator down at Brooklands a couple of weeks ago with two former Concorde pilots for company. You can see my photos and report here. http://www.avsim.com/topic/487512-visit-to-concorde-simulator-brooklands-england/

Good luck with the flights. What are you using for flight plans?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather