Sign in to follow this  
dimatrixxx

Reverse thrust

Guys, I saw there is already some same topics but they all from 2014 and the only solution is mentioned there is the service pack 1. But now is 2016, I'm running latest sp and have the same problem as others earlier- I cannot set reverse thrust until nose gear is down. My setting is a/t flare override YES. I tried different ways- pushing after touchdown f1, then f2, disabling a/t after touchdown and pushing f2, setting a/t override to NO, set nullzone for trust axis - all no sucess. Any suggestions?

This is unfortunately a result of the limitations PMDG faced with the FSX engine. 

The reason your assigned reverse thrust axis/inputs do not work, until a short while after touchdown is because they interfere with the SPD to IDLE when A/T is used on landing (as is normally the case on the B777). 

PMDG modeled this transition 100% accurately, in essence it is a behind the scenes throttle input! Hence overriding (rightly so) our assigned throttle axis/inputs until complete.

Note: When A/T is not used on landing, there is no interference whatsoever as there is no automatic SPD -> IDLE transition. 

Although it may appear that your assigned axis/input is being overridden until nose gear touchdown, this is not the case. It is rather a few second delay as SPD to IDLE transition takes place.

The only way to assure that you successfully unlock reversers upon main gear touchdown, is to enable the A/T override in the PMDG menu (as you have done before), and then when the A/T goes to IDLE as enunciated on the FMA during the flare, you press and hold down F1 and then also briefly hold down F2 once the main gears have touched down. If all you need is idle reverse, then simply let go of F2 and then F1, if you need more than idle, let go of F1 and hold F2 until you have reached you desired setting. 

Note: Once you have used the F1/F2 combination to unlock and transitioned to idle reverse, you can use any assigned reverse axis to further set your desired reverse thrust! (Without having to further hold F1/F2). In simple terms, F1 is forcing idle, and F2 is sending the reduce throttle input to FSX. Once unlocked, they will not re-stow again. 

This question still tends to pop up every once in a while, so I am going to make a short video while displaying the virtual virtual keyboard to show how I make this work every time.

If anyone has any suggestions, on how to display key inputs while recording with Nvidia Shadow Play, feel free to chime in

• Upvote 1

If using a button to activate reverse on your joystick or what have you, set this. Using FSUIPC (Registered) under buttons tab, press the button you want to use, then check the box FS Controls, it will open a drop down, in the drop down select "Throttle 1 Decr" and check the box "Command to repeat when held. If you do not use one lever per engine, omit the number and look for Throttle Decr, this will do all engines. 

Try that route. 

Here is my video.

I apologize for the resulution, the default windows 10 virtual keyboard does not display the physical keyboard inputs. I downloaded a freeware virtual keyboard called NohBoard, which unfortunately cannot overlay when P3D is in full screen, thus I had to use P3D in windowed mode at half my normal resolution (I use 2.0x DSR in full screen). 

Below the P3D window you will see the F1 and F2 inputs I used. Pay particular attention to the order, refer to the EICAS to see the result.

I suggest you save a scenario similar to where I began my video. Established on a ILS approach, with A/P and A/T active. Then you can keep restarting from that scenario in order to get a hang of it!

I hope this helps!

• Upvote 1

Yet another item that needs Heat Robinson solutions. I'm a little peeved by paying out for things only to see freeware versions provide. I'm off to see which of FlightGear, X-Plane (payware), or FSX (payware); don't have this problem...

The PMDG 777 is great but I do get frustrated...... At the risk of spamming accusations might I recommend trying out the wonderful FlightGear 707 to remind yourselves of what you really wanted a sim to do all those years ago....

I still buy PMDG products regardless........

Yet another item that needs Heat Robinson solutions. I'm a little peeved by paying out for things only to see freeware versions provide. I'm off to see which of FlightGear, X-Plane (payware), or FSX (payware); don't have this problem...

The PMDG 777 is great but I do get frustrated...... At the risk of spamming accusations might I recommend trying out the wonderful FlightGear 707 to remind yourselves of what you really wanted a sim to do all those years ago....

I still buy PMDG products regardless........

What program is that you are referencing that you think you need to buy? If you mean FSUIPC, it is a great tool that has many other applications but of course it is not required. 

The way you do it in the video is not working for me..

Could you please go into more detail describing what you are seeing on tour end?

Based on your vague reply, I can only draw the following possible conclusions:

1. You are not correctly replicating my method. Watch the video at 0.25 speed to better see the keystroke order.

2. You are not running the latest PMDG B777 build, let alone the one which successfuly corrected a previous reverse thrust bug (IIRC corrected with SP1d).

I want to be clear, that the method in the video has worked every single time, on over 100 landings in the PMDG B777 from when I began using it.

After I recorded the tutorial above, I decided to do some further testing,with the goal of finding a alternative solution to my current method. Ideally a single input or keystroke via a throttle axis or button.

Knowing that F1 is a immediate "throttle cut" input, and F2 being a "throttle decrease" input (by default). In theory a sufficently large (single) throttle decrease input should result in a successful reverse thrust application.

By assigning the "Throttle decr" command to one of my CH throttle quadrant buttons via FSUIPC and a -10 in the parameter field (the size of the decrease command) with "repeat when held", now results in a perfect idle reverse thrust application when the button is pressed once upon touchdown. Touchdown being verified by the speedbrake handle moving to the up position automatically (when armed). No need for anymore F1 or F2 keyboard inputs.

Note you can also assign this directly via theFSX/P3D interface (no FSUIPC needed). Just select which button to link with the default F2 command, a repeat rate that gurantees sufficent throttle decrease to activate reverse thrust upon a single press of said button.

• Upvote 1

I use saitek throttle system and have assigned central reverser for both engines. I too have problem that reversers are not engaged till nose wheel is touched down. Is there any solution to it using sitek throttles?

Best wishes

Ash Nerurkar

Ash Nerurkar

Excellent support Leo, thanks for your tutorial video!

Note: When A/T is not used on landing, there is no interference whatsoever as there is no automatic SPD -> IDLE transition.

In fact, I didn't notice this interference since I always fly with AT off when flying manually (yes, even if this is not the recommended technique by Boeing). As I usually don't notice issues with Autoland and stuff until somebody posts them because I do all my landings manually :-)

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

Knowing that F1 is a immediate "throttle cut" input, and F2 being a "throttle decrease" input (by default). In theory a sufficently large (single) throttle decrease input should result in a successful reverse thrust application.

By assigning the "Throttle decr" command to one of my CH throttle quadrant buttons via FSUIPC and a -10 in the parameter field (the size of the decrease command) with "repeat when held", now results in a perfect idle reverse thrust application when the button is pressed once upon touchdown. .

This way seems to work for me. Thank you!

You can all sorts of combinations to help with this using FSPUIC - its possible to send button commands when your levers pass through a range etc.

There a multiples of this, including maybe using a spare lever for reverse thrust settings separate from maybe the two you use for main throttles.

However one method - is to set at the very low end of your throttle range a value that if it passes through it then it will send the F1 command, which means every time you move the throttle lever towards the bottom it will also send F1 to ensure its selecting minimum thrust - you can then set it to say that when you pull the lever past the detent which activates a button as such it selects the F2(and have it set to repeat) 

There is a module for FSPUIC (look on the pete dawson forum) which actually turns your throttles into reversers once it is pulled right down, so pushing them back up again it then makes them adjustable reversers - I use this with a couple of other tweaks to make sure I can get the idle and reverse throttle working well.

There are several issues with PMDG A/C around throttle control - suggested by the PMDG team to be related to FSX issues and PMDG trying to simulate proper throttle settings, such as approach idle etc, one of the others you can see is in descent when the auto has commanded idle, you'll find  that if you hit F1 part way through that, you'll get a lower idle than before, its like it sets it to idle but then as that becomes lower with height it doesn't continue to command a lower idle unless you hit F1, this can be the issue sometimes with not making descent paths.

Im sure with time some of these will get ironed out as PMDG work out better ways to realistically model the thrust settings, while still dealing with FSX coding ways.