Sign in to follow this  
LoRusso

Immersion... Triple Monitors, 4K or single projector.

I know this is a pretty subjective question but sick of spending money to realize I went the wrong direction.

Looking for the most immersive display experience I can hobble together.  

I have around $1k of money for displays that will only be used for flight and racing sim.

4790K 4.0Mhz, GTX 970 P3D v3.2 Samsung 47" 1080p LCD.

Thoughts on which is more immersive. I have the room to build curved screen for projector just don't want to go triple projector route yet.

Would a 2nd GTX970 help any of these setups or is better to wait for next gen of cards?

Thanks

I just posted this on another thread regarding the projector

" I just went from a short throw projector back to a 55 ' 1080p TV mainly because I was sick of sitting in a dark room during the day and most simmers will agree that night flying is just 'off" with a projector. Runway and city lights look washed out"

But if your happy to sit in the dark and dont fly at night, then nothing beats the immersion of a projector

ZORAN

I was one that started off with a 27" 2560x1440 monitor. Wanted more immersion much like yourself. I then got two more 27" 2560x1440 monitors to use the three with NVIDIA Surround. Although it was really cool and definitely immersive. I got tired of the distorted edges, and the performance hit on the GPU didn't seem worth it to me. Now I am most happy and content with my Dell 34" curve. Wonderful monitor, just wide enough and a slight curve to give you that immersion I was looking for and a heck of a lot less of a performance hit than trying to run 8100x1440 resolution.

• Upvote 1

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

As a point of comparison, these are with a single ultra-short throw projector with two 32-inch HDTV LCDs for side monitors.

This one filmed with some lights in the room on ...

This one filmed with lights off, and at night (with Chris Bell's Night Environment package) ...

All three (plus the 7-inch touch screen) are driven by a single 980 TI. 

BasementFlyGuy

GA home cockpit running X-Plane 11 (and sometimes P3D)

Blog: www.ontheglideslope.net

YouTube: OnTheGlideslope Channel

Facebook: On The Glideslope

I share the 4790 processor you use.  In addition, I have 2 Nvidia 960 2 Gig video cards linked in SLI.  Couple this with three 24"  monitors and I get a 5760x1080 display.  Not perfect but adequate for me.  P3D is giving me 25-30 fps with PMDG birds and Megascenery so I have little to complain about.

As a point of comparison, these are with a single ultra-short throw projector with two 32-inch HDTV LCDs for side monitors.

This one filmed with some lights in the room on ...

This one filmed with lights off, and at night (with Chris Bell's Night Environment package) ...

wow night enviroment is impressive

ZORAN

I was one that started off with a 27" 2560x1440 monitor. Wanted more immersion much like yourself. I then got two more 27" 2560x1440 monitors to use the three with NVIDIA Surround. Although it was really cool and definitely immersive. I got tired of the distorted edges, and the performance hit on the GPU didn't seem worth it to me. Now I am most happy and content with my Dell 34" curve. Wonderful monitor, just wide enough and a slight curve to give you that immersion I was looking for and a heck of a lot less of a performance hit than trying to run 8100x1440 resolution.

Same exact experience here and I also went with the Dell 34" . I just got tired of wrestling with the 3 screens performance hit,  every driver update required redoing bezel correction ad nauseum. 

Hi, are you running 3 multi-views? How do you get such good performance with just a 980 TI? Very impressive! I drive my 3 30" monitor (multi view) with a single 970 and only get about 20+fps.

Thanks for all of the input. very impressive setup basementflyguy. 

With the Dell 34" will a single GTX 970 drive it at usable frame rates?

Will I see a performance increase worth the money of a second GTX 970 in SLI?

Thanks

I was sick of sitting in a dark room during the day and most simmers will agree that night flying is just 'off" with a projector. Runway and city lights look washed out

This is because most people still using the typical white projector screen. There are 'black' projector screen available now which you can see pitch black projected image even with plenty of daylight in your room. Google or search in fb 'Simpit Technologies'.

This is because most people still using the typical white projector screen. There are 'black' projector screen available now which you can see pitch black projected image even with plenty of daylight in your room. Google or search in fb 'Simpit Technologies'.

That screen is a game changer but geez $600 US fpr 100" screen aint cheap

ZORAN

P3Dv3.2 supports multimonitor way better than earlier versions.

Two extra undocked views now have a performance hit like one extra undocked view before.

I use it that way : 1x 40" for the left front view and 2x 32" for the front view ( = front + right front )

No distortion like with one view spread over 3 monitors and sharp .

Cockpit3.jpg

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Or :

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Wow. I bet that set up put a dent in the piggy bank!

Cheers

Steve Hall

Wow. I bet that set up put a dent in the piggy bank!

ROTFL. But it's uber cool... :hi:

Best regards, Luís

SYSTEM (build date july, 2023): Case: Lian Li Lancool III  |  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z790-E Gaming WIFI  CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-13900K Processor @ 6.0 GHZ  |  RAM: 128 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB @ 4800 MHZ  |  MVMe 1: 4 TB Crucial T700 PCIe Gen 5 MVMe 2: 4TB WD Black SN850X PCIe Gen 4 Cooler: Corsair iCue H150i Elite LCD XT | PSU: Corsair HX1500i | GPU: Asus ROG STRIX Gaming 4090 OC | Microsoft Windows 11 x64 Pro