Sign in to follow this  
RaptyrOne

Toposim Terrain Mesh

Has anyone tried the Toposim terrain mesh packages available on Sim Market?

In particular I am looking at their Africa packages. I tried emailing them but no answer after several days.

Curious to know the quality. Website screenshots are not really informative. For example, would like to see what their rendition of Table Mountain in Cape Town looks like. Both FSX and P3D really come up short in Africa. Any other ther good quality mesh packages I should consider?

Thanks.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

I think this is the old owner of FSGenesis that has since re-started this new business as Toposim.  Don't recall all the details.  But, when he was FSGenesis, they were good.  I still use his FSGenesis versions to this day.  So, assuming he's using at least the same techniques/data, they should be at least as good, if not better.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Honestly, I agree with David, the Freemesh package is really good.  I'm certainly not disappointed.    I have recently bought Kigali and want to start doing alot more flying around the African region.  

Have you tried this excellent freeware mesh?

http://www.avsim.com/forum/737-freemeshx-global-support-forum/

Thanks for the tip! I'm checking it out right now and I just might give this a go!

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Has anyone tried the Toposim terrain mesh packages available on Sim Market?

I recently installed the Asia mesh package from Toposim and found it to be a vast improvement over the default. I've been doing a good amount of flying around Japan and while default FSX/P3D has "good" terrain coverage for the country, the Toposim package certainly seemed to provide an improvement.... of course, I can't speak for their African coverage.

Good luck!

-Greg

Busy down loading the freeware mesh right now. Huge files (8GB) and download is rather slow but will get there. No idea on how to "torrent" so downloading the old fashioned way. I like that you just drop this in a folder and connect it to your scenery through the Scenery Library. Seems a clean and low risk option.

GregH

Busy down loading the freeware mesh right now. Huge files (8GB) and download is rather slow but will get there. No idea on how to "torrent" so downloading the old fashioned way. I like that you just drop this in a folder and connect it to your scenery through the Scenery Library. Seems a clean and low risk option.

No risk actually  :wink: just put it in its proper place in the scenery library order

Rich Sennett

Ok, confusion :-(

I downloaded the two FreeMashX files for Africa. Also installed 7-Zip.

I placed both files in the same folder and used 7-Zip as per guide to extract the .001 file as per the instructions. It seems to extract only the 001 and not the 002 file. Plus the extracted file gives me a "what program do you want to use to open this" option. Clearly I am doing something wrong?

GregH

It almost sounds as if the second file was a bad download. The two files combine to make a single complete file, if one is good download and one is not then the good one doesn't even know what it is doing.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

This is addressed in the installation guide. You only need to extract the first folder, the others are extracted automatically.

Jose A.

Core Components: AMD Ryzen7 7700X - G.Skill FlareX 32 GB DDR5 6000 CL36 (XMP)  - Gigabyte B650M Aorus Elite AX  - Asus ROG Strix RTX3060 12gb

Storage: WD Black SN750 NVMe 1TB - AData sx8200 Pro NVMe 1TB - Samsung 860 EVO 500GB - Samsung 870 EVO 1TB

WIN10 - P3D v.5.3 HF2 - XPLANE 11 - MSFS

It must be a corrupt download I guess. I have gone with Toposim payware, seems OK...

GregH

It almost sounds as if the second file was a bad download. The two files combine to make a single complete file, if one is good download and one is not then the good one doesn't even know what it is doing.

This is addressed in the installation guide. You only need to extract the first folder, the others are extracted automatically.

Indeed! You actually had done everything until you tried extracting the .002 file. Don't bother trying to extract .002 because it's not meant to be extracted individually. Just extract the first volume, and everything will be automatically extracted afterwards, and you'll be fine.

Hi Daniel, I think the download might have been corrupt as initially I did only click on the .001 file (right click) and selected option to extract using 7-Zip. The process completed but all I ended up with was a folder with another .torrent file inside it and with a file size the same as the .001. It seems that the second file (.002)was ignored completely by 7-Zip in the extraction process.

Cheers!

GregH

Indeed, that sounds off.

This is what it should look like. When I open the .001 in the 7-Zip File Manager, there should be a single scenery folder within. Notice the size is greater than 9 GB. That is the sum of both the .001 and .002 parts, indicating 7-Zip has successfully read in both parts.

X2X01ld.png

You may indeed have a corrupt download. I recommend the Bit torrent option then. It has checks during the download process to ensure the files downloaded retain their integrity. You'll need a bit torrent client though. There's many free ones out there. I use Tixati.