Sign in to follow this  
FlyIce

The new Nvidia GTX 1080 could be perfect for triple monitors

Just read that the new $599 GTX 1080 not only is 2x powerful than $1000 Titan X, it also has this fantastic "simultaneous multi-projection" feature for super wide screen/triple monitor setups. It automatically corrects the FOV on each monitor so all those nasty distortions will be eliminated with not performance hit. 

With that I'm seriously thinking to fly my future P3D gear in 3x TV or projectors. I didn't want to do triple displays b/c I hate those distortions caused by super wide FOV.

Don't know whether this feature is all done at the drive level or it has be specifically supported by each games though. 

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

Just read that the new $599 GTX 1080 not only is 2x powerful than $1000 Titan X, it also has this fantastic "simultaneous multi-projection" feature for super wide screen/triple monitor setups. It automatically corrects the FOV on each monitor so all those nasty distortions will be eliminated with not performance hit. 

With that I'm seriously thinking to fly my future P3D gear in 3x TV or projectors. I didn't want to do triple displays b/c I hate those distortions caused by super wide FOV.

Don't know whether this feature is all done at the drive level or it has be specifically supported by each games though.

Quite sure it requires game support just like all other nVidia technology. But I don't imagine it would be that hard for LM to implement it with a future update/release.

Btw I think all the pascal series should have that feature, it's not exclusive to the 1080gtx.

This is interesting, the 1080 will go on sale for around $600, the 1070 at $450

I am interested using this for my setup, multiple projectors, screens with one computer. 

Right now undocking views is mightly slow, perhaps this can fix this.

(2 undock views at 90 degrees each for 180 degree visuals). 

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

This is interesting, the 1080 will go on sale for around $600, the 1070 at $450

I am interested using this for my setup, multiple projectors, screens with one computer. 

Right now undocking views is mightly slow, perhaps this can fix this.

(2 undock views at 90 degrees each for 180 degree visuals).

Wow that's steep for a x70.

Nvidia must be really confident of performance. The 970 launched at $329.

The price gap between the 80 and 70 is way too narrow now.

Wow that's steep for a x70.

Nvidia must be really confident of performance. The 970 launched at $329.

The price gap between the 80 and 70 is way too narrow now.

$450 for the special edition. ~$370 for the regular version

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

Guys I think you missed something the first launch versions of these cards are not gaming cards - those are not due out till 2017 at least thats what I gathered from the videos - videos do not say they are twice as fast as a Titan X - nvidia said that and someone is wrong - I think they are not as Nvidia makes this claim every time and the next gen card is only about 20% faster 

Rich Sennett

Guys I think you missed something the first launch versions of these cards are not gaming cards - those are not due out till 2017 at least thats what I gathered from the videos - videos do not say they are twice as fast as a Titan X - nvidia said that and someone is wrong - I think they are not as Nvidia makes this claim every time and the next gen card is only about 20% faster

You are totally correct Rich.

I have my Titan X since 8 months now and I will keep it for at least a other year...

P3D is running great :-)

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Kinda interesting he states the 1070 is faster than a Titan X.

For certain tasks. ;)

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

For certain tasks. ;)

Cheers!

Luke

I believe that's in VR mode, so have to wait and see what it will do in game mode.

Billion+ dollars on developing these cards... crazy!

1080 will be available at the end of May, it's around 25-30% faster than a 980Ti / Titan X  for "normal" tasks, and double as fast of a 980Ti about the "VR" tasks (stereo rendering).

1070 is slightly slower than a 980Ti / Titan X, but faster that it in "VR" tasks (again: stereo rendering.. etc.), and it will be available 11th June.

...in any case, those two cards are amazing! I doubt they will offer any concrete advante in FSX/P3D tho... as I barely see any avantage going from a 780 to a 980Ti! eheh

I think they are not as Nvidia makes this claim every time and the next gen card is only about 20% faster 

We will see about that Rich.

The 1080 was introduced by Mr. Jen-Hsun (nvidia President) himself last night and he stated and demonstrated that the 1080 is 2x faster the the Titan X.

Link to details of presentation: 

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/05/06/geforce-gtx-1080/

"Speaking at the DreamHack gamer gathering in Austin, Texas Friday night, he drew gasps of disbelief as he explained that our newest gaming GPU delivers 2x the performance and 3x the efficiency of TITAN X."

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Don't we still need much more GPU utilization (relative to CPU usage) in P3D to really see major gains at this point?

Rich, the NVIDIA CEO announced that the GTX 1070 will be available on 10 June 2016, the GTX 1080 on 27 May 2016, you won't have to wait until 2017.  :wink:

The fact that he made the announcement at the DreamHack gamer gathering in Austin, Texas, would support the fact that these are definitely gaming cards.

Cheers,

Jerome

The VR improvement is huge if it can be implemented by LM. I have a Vive now and still waiting on the CV1 and the improvement from the DK2 is pretty dramatic. If these cards can help with the fram rate issues caused by the double rendering, it will be a big step forward.

Terry

• Upvote 1