Sign in to follow this  
Stearmandriver

Possible to create a realistic looking thunderstorm, using REX, ASN, or any other addons?

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has found a combination of settings that will generate a realistic thunderstorm in FSX? I'm currently using Rex4 + Soft Clouds with ASN for weather... previously used REX Essentials for textures.

Now, I'm greatly impressed with all these add-ons. Every one is well worth the money spent, I don't want to sound like I'm knocking them. This is just as likely to be user error or an FSX limitation than a software issue, and even if it is, they're still superb overall at what they do.

That being said, no matter what combination of settings I try, rendered thunderstorms just don't look anything like a real storm. They just look like loose collections of small cumulus clouds, with open areas you can see through like Swiss cheese, that somehow inexplicably generate lightning. They also seem not to extend above about 30,000 ft.

A real thunderstorm is a solid mass, a wall in the sky with an overshooting top and a cirrus anvil and precip blowing off downwind. The exterior of the storm will be lumpy where you can see individual updrafts (and downdrafts like mammatus under the anvil), but the mass itself is a solid roadblock in the sky, and can easily extend vertically into the 50s.

An example:

http://s.imwx.com/dru/2013/12/3a744ccb-b73d-417d-a83c-b4062238afa4_650x366.jpg

My simming is usually in the form of bush flying up north, where REX textures + ASN play beautifully with the mountains, but occasionally I do some high altitude stuff as well, and it would be great to get some realistic storms rendered.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Andrew Crowley

Following.  I'd love an answer that only involved Rex and ASN.  ASN has easily been the best $ I've spent for the sim, well maybe a tossup with the GTN.  

This was asked a few weeks ago.  I'd be more interested in the turbulence and darkness, flying into it than seeing it from a distance. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Maybe it's not a limitation of the weather addon but P3D/FSX itself?  Maybe there are no "thunderheads" or "anvil" type textures to draw upon?  Which then begs me why haven't they been created?

ha, more questions than answers...

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

I think it's a matter of the settings you've selected.  I've seen plenty of anvils, though only during the summer months as I recall.

I'm recently back to flying, so I'll keep a look out and report back on some settings and screen shots.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

The OP is right, there is no such thing as a fully formed CB cloud whether using ASN or REX, only bits and pieces of it, the anvil can (sometimes) be seen and tops would float around flight levels above 300 like the real things, but there is no texture between the upper part and the lower clouds. I fly very often in South East Asia where CBs are on the daily weather "menu", but I am always frustrated to only see parts of them (high or low) with plenty of lightnings coming from low clouds.

If nothing was offered by any developer so far after so many new releases, i would assume that this is an FSX limitation that won't allow high vertical textures (?!...) but I dont remember having seen any clear explanation for this from any company.

The OP is right, there is no such thing as a fully formed CB cloud whether using ASN or REX, only bits and pieces of it, the anvil can (sometimes) be seen and tops would float around flight levels above 300 like the real things, but there is no texture between the upper part and the lower clouds. I fly very often in South East Asia where CBs are on the daily weather "menu", but I am always frustrated to only see parts of them (high or low) with plenty of lightnings coming from low clouds.

If nothing was offered by any developer so far after so many new releases, i would assume that this is an FSX limitation that won't allow high vertical textures (?!...) but I dont remember having seen any clear explanation for this from any company.

Try checking "enhanced thunderstorms" and "prevent cb" in the ASN menu, and try the new sp5 beta from their download section. They are always working hard to try and reproduce weather with every new build. Prevent CB option should be checked unless you are flying in America.