Sign in to follow this  
crvm

F1 C172R: Thoughts, Comments

Hey folks... hope things are going well for ya :)I hope you dont mind but I just wanted to share my thoughts on the Flight1 Cessna 172RI just bought the 172R. At first, I was thinking to myself... I paid $25 for this? For a little 4 seat Cessna? I wonder if it would be stupid to ask for a refund. It had a good first impression... it just didnt explode off the screen as a real prince of an aircraft as the bigger, faster, more complex birds do, such as my Aeroworx B200. So thats why at first I was like, I paid this much for what? Then I spent some real quality time with it... For the first time, I think, I actually left the autopilot completely alone and practiced procedures that I would be learning in the real world in a C172. For example, tonight, I started up at my local airport, KFAT, as I always do, tuned to the CZQ VOR, 110 Radial, took off, and went back and forth on that radial/bearing. Fly 30 or so miles on the radial (outbound) then turn around, and re-establish myself on the bearing (inbound), and repeat. Why? Just to fly... to learn how to read and use the Cessna's VOR instruments, which are harder to use than "follow the yellow line" type HSI-type instrument. To learn the scanning technique. To practice turning while holding altitude while holding the right rudder input while maintaining turn rate... All kinds of little things like that. I find myself spending hours just flying this thing around. My brother, who has flown Cessnas, told me once that when youre taking off in a Cessna, the best thing to do is to put the glareshield right on the horizon and you will get a 500-700 fpm climb, which is just right. Well, doing that in this plane gives you the same result. Very cool.Doing all this, you know what I've noticed? This thing is a real gem. It doesnt always show it at first glance, but spend a couple of hours flying it... and it's qualities come to life. I just LOVE the way it flies! When I fly it, I never wonder what made the real Cessna such a popular aircraft. The Flight1 Cessna looks great, yeah... but you know what? Here's another first: I rarely leave the cockpit. Any other aircraft, with the exception of the B200, I'm always in spot view at least half the time. But not this little Cessna. The real prize isnt in the 98% fuctionality, the complexity, the fully functional FMC, the polygon-jammed visuals... it's the way it flies. This thing makes me want to fly in real life more than any other aircraft I have. I'll stop here so I dont bore you all... but I just want to insert a thanks to Flight1 for doing such a good job on the flight model of this thing. Keep up the great work!By the way, I'll make a couple of videos for you all in the next couple of days... well, I'll TRY, anyway!

Guest LahaskaFlyer

hi, i enjoyed reading your message. in my opinion the default 172 and 182 in fs9 are NOT even close to hand flying the real thing. the default cessna in fs9 seems to jump up from the runway on takeoff and it is jerky in flight. nothing like the softer feel that i remember from flying the real cessna. with the scenery packages now available, slow vfr flight requires more than the default fs9 cessnas and mooney. so, i ask: have you compared the difference between the flight1 cessna and the default fs9 cessna in turns, takeoffs and descents? is the response to changes in attitude more gradual and believable. jack wilson

MUCH more believeable. Actually, I think I'll load up flightsim and do a comparision video between the default 172 and the Flight1 172... check back soon!

My favorite GA! Truely a master piece, everytime I load it up I say wow...Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]http://www.rawbw.com/~bdoolin/shinault/Animation1.gifCaution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)AMD 64 3200+ | NEC LCD 1980SXi 19" | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | Maxtor 6Y080M0 SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 | Windows Xp Pro |

Guest bisinchi

That would be interesting to be able to compare both planes,Regards,Francois

Guest metamarty

I would also like to have a comparison between this new cessna and the dreamfleet archer. I purchased the archer last week. I always held it off because I thought it was one of their earlier aircraft, and since I have all of the new ones, I thought they would be better.I just love the archer for it's flying characteristics. Since I dropped heavy iron, I've always flown small aircraft by hand. I never use the autopilot and rely on correct trim and power settings to fly. The archer just gives me the best feeling of flight. The other dreamfleet planes are close, but I think it's the archer that feels best. I would really like to see someone's opinion on this new cessna vs the archer.

Guest MrGnome

I also really love this plane, mostly because of the beautiful graphics. However I have problems with the radio/AP font. It's supposed to be some type of quarz font, but I have a regular arial or something, that shows strange characters. It's like the quarz font is missing. I have a quarz font in the fonts folder in fs9, but I dont know which font the gauge uses.I've tried reinstalling the package, and installed the update but still my radio doesnt look right.Can anyone with the F1 172 check your fonts folder? This is what i have:nvgthc.ttfmsgothic.ttcmaiandb.ttfmaian.ttfquartz.ttfglassga.ttfarialnbi.ttfarialnb.ttfAny help greatly appreciated!

I have the F1 172 and put the upgrade on as it seemed to have an extreme reaction to trim on take off .....this seems to be fixed somewhat in the upgrade but had similar experience on autopilot where suddenly the plane went into climb and stall.....never flow the real thing but hope this is not what happens at real 5000ft.......if anyone has similar probllems, let me know what the fix is

Guest MrGnome

I dont have the problems, but i have decreased the repeat setting for trim in fs9 assignments page. Try that! Could You please tell me what fonts you have got in the fs9 fonts folder since i seem to be missing the one for the radio stack. It would really help me alotthanx :)=

I agree, it's just like the one I fly. I'm doing my instrument check-ride tomorrow, and am prcaticing holds and DME arcs using it. I fly the SP version, but the panel is exactly the same as the -R model.Bruce.

Guest B1900 Mech

Great airplane! I love the demo flight with the instructor,He was to demanding, so I went into CF9 Root/Flights/Myflights/F1_172_Tutorial ABL file and changed the heading and altitude allowances to heading plus/minus 10 degrees, and airspeed plus 10 minus 5. Do any real life pilots know what the PPL checkride allowances are for the VSI? I could not find it in the PPL PTS.http://av-info.faa.gov/data/practicalteststandard/faa-s-8081-14a.pdf

Guest Ken_Salter

I agree - it matches the C172 I fly in my other reality pretty close (my C172 has a bigger engine 180HP).Last night I added the fs9 gps and Reality XP weather gauge into the VC so now I'm fairly happy.

Guest yunkah

>Could You>please tell me what fonts you have got in the fs9 fonts folder>since i seem to be missing the one for the radio stack. It>would really help me alotI have the very same problem using a french version of WinXP: the last digit of the frequency shows as an accentuated vowel instead of an actual number.I haven't found how to figure that out so far. :-(

Hi Todd,Did you have the Real Air 172 before this, or were you just using the default Cessna's? The default's are really crap, but I have enjoyed flying the Real Air 172, which is also Freeware, and has an awesome Airfile, IMHO.Real Air 172 - Over +26,500 Downloads:http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID...04ac&DLID=37254Can you contrast the Real Air with this instead of the default?I can't really say I would be too enamored with a 172 that has weather radar, a full autopilot, or fully functional FMC. Not many I've seen in real life have them, as the ones I fly just have the basics plus a GPS now. (I rent)As for VOR, I hear you. Lately Iv's been downloading VOR Approaches from AirNav, printing them and doing the VOR Approaches in the real Air172, no Autopilot activated at all. (Nice to have, but really the best way to learn approaches IMHO is to hand fly them.Yesterday in the sim, I flew from Burbank Glendale, to the Paradise VOR, the Homeland VOR, then Oceanside VOR, then Tijuana VOR, then flew all the way down to Ensenada, then switched aircraft and flew a VOR approach into Mazatlan, and then General Something in Mexico City. (Mexico loves to name airports after generals) ;-)I love VOR Flying, GPS is nice, but we will have VOR's for quite a while, IMHO. There is just something about getting somewhere without the AP or GPS turned on, maintaining altitude, practicing steep turns, properly using the attitude indicator instead of chasing the VSI, etc....And I also stay pretty much in the cockpit in the real Air 172, since in reality I can't sit outside and view my great approaches and greased landings from 20 feet behind and ten feet above the aircraft. ;-)Regards,JoeJOIN The AVSIM RTW RACE FLIGHT TEAM****************Grab My FREEWARE Cessna 172 Voice recognition Profile here:[a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004misc&DLID=58334]Cessna 172 Voice Profile[/a].You will need the main FREEWARE Flight Assistant program to use it, get it here:[a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=genutils&DLID=39661]Flight Assistant 2.2[/a]

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Funny Stuff, :-)I didn't realize someone regurgitated this from the past. I thought it was a new thread.JoeJOIN The AVSIM RTW RACE FLIGHT TEAM****************Grab My FREEWARE Cessna 172 Voice recognition Profile here:[a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004misc&DLID=58334]Cessna 172 Voice Profile[/a].You will need the main FREEWARE Flight Assistant program to use it, get it here:[a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=genutils&DLID=39661]Flight Assistant 2.2[/a]

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube.