Sign in to follow this  
basementflyguy

WX Advantage Weather Radar!

Reasonable comparisons between different wx radars should be allowed in a FSX topic like this one here.

With PMDG planes, the wx radar is also linked to the EGPWS, which is not the case for any "4th party" addon gauge.

Must say, I'm rather impressed with the REX/MilViz gauge as it has no fps impact on my system. (Which is different from the impact the Aerosoft Airbus wx radar has for me.)

To REX and MilViz I would like to suggest to explicitly mention the Acceleration Pack requirement for FSX-MS users in their product description also. It's in their system requirements already, but still customers get surprised because they seem to rely more on the descriptive text than the requirements stated.

Looking forward to more aircraft developers integrating the REX/MilViz radar into their Virtual Cockpits.

Reasonable comparisons between different wx radars should be allowed in a FSX topic like this one here.

Yes, why not mention Roland's gauge. It does have the advantage and ability to be placed in almost any glass cockpit by the user.

This is the FSX forum and not the manufacturers forum after all.

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Forgot  to add  that part,  thought  by now  it  was  a  known fact.   besides  there is  no  where  to integrate  it  in the ngx   and  you could  only  use  it  as  a  pop up,  think most users   would prefer  to have  it  integrated  in  the panels of  their  aircraft.

Thats why REX and Milviz are releasing API's to allow the ND's of aircraft like the bus and the NGX to show just like the ASN implementation.

Mentioning is fine.  Providing links is not.

Plus, an admin decided to merge the three different threads and now it's one.  So ... not entirely clean on this...

Please contact oisin at milviz dot com for forum registration information.  Please provide proof of purchase if you want support.  Also, include the username you wish to have.

It's a gray area. The title of the thread refers specifically to the Wx Radar. A mention was made of the ASN radar as well as Roland's freeware. Even providing an informative link to same is not an issue. Discussing the merits of A vs B vs C is not a problem either. Discussion of how to install and/or use other products becomes more like hijacking the thread, even if this is not the Wx Radar support forum.

Just as a for instance, should someone start a thread asking "which should I use?" - that becomes a wide open discussion.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Mentioning is fine.  Providing links is not.

Wait...developers now dictate what is and is not a appropriate forum content?  Did my url redirect to me a Milviz specific and/or controlled forum?  I find your statement to be misguided, misplaced and inaccurate.  Providing links should be fine as long as its related to the discussion; I noted you didn't protest with the embedded video demonstrating your products capabilities. Simple fact, there's a freeware alternative for ASN users to consider; some of these alternatives provide greater capabilities (e.g. VC integration).  As forum members, we should be allowed to identify (provide links) alternatives to our fellow community members for consideration.  If we can't, why bother with a forum at all?  Moreover, I believe the moderators actions were appropriate; specifically, the removal of a post requesting tech support for rolands' gauge.  That post had no relevance to this thread and was rightly removed. 

Kudos to the AVSIM staff for allowing its members to recognize alternatives to vendor products.  I know there are a lot of conspiracy theorist who believe AVSIM always sides with the vendor; however, from my perspective, this is FAR from reality.  They allow for open dialogue and respectful exchange of ideas. I come to AVSIM seeking opinions before making any FS related purchase.  In a lot of situations, my fellow forum members have saved me time, frustatoin and money.  Thank you for the service you provided, AVSIM!  Happy to be a member of this forumn...

Thats why REX and Milviz are releasing API's to allow the ND's of aircraft like the bus and the NGX to show just like the ASN implementation

That's only relevant for members who don't utilize ASN.  If you already own the ASN, you've had this capability in PMDG and Majestic products for over a year.  BTW, at the $40 price point, it's actually cheaper to buy ASN and organically obtain this capability, vice buying a new weather radar.  Just something to consider...

Matt King

Actually, though it might be "cheaper" it's not, as it doesn't work with all WX engines PLUS, there's NO FPS hit.  None at all.  ZERO.

The product does allow for VC integration in the exact same way as the "other one" but with all the pluses above.

As well, we're in the process of adding further functionality to make this even better... including terrain and cloud masking, attenuation and dual beam capability.

Please contact oisin at milviz dot com for forum registration information.  Please provide proof of purchase if you want support.  Also, include the username you wish to have.

"as it doesn't work with all WX engines"  

​That is a significant achievement and one you should take pride in; to that end, your product should appeal to users of the other 4 weather providers (e.g. Opus, REX, RealWx and default). However, as previously stated, I, and several others in this thread, fail to see how it applies to ASN users.   After all, how many among us use one weather engine one day and another engine the next day? ASN users are probably going to stick with that engine, just as OPUS user are sticking with that engine; thus, the need for a cross platform capable radar is nullified. That's why I advise for users who don't own ASN to acquire it; under that paradigm, you save a reasonable amount of money, get arguably the best weather engine on the market AND multiple FREE weather radars to choose from.  Moreover, you get to take advantage of PMDG, Majestic, etc weather radar integration.  In my mind, this is just sound advise and one I hope someone would provide to me.  Obviously, this recommendation doesn't apply to most Opus users; those users appear to enjoy the great camera features of that product. Those users are probably incredibility excited about your product and will jump at the chance to acquire it!   

As far as the FPS comment, I'm not sure I see the relevance in that statement.  After all, how many stand alone gauges impact FPS? I've used Capt Sims, Reality XPs and Rolands weather gauges without any impact on frames.  As you're well aware, the FPS hits derive from the weather engine itself, not the weather gauge interpreting and rendering the data outside of the sim.    

I know I'm coming off as negative, sir.  I'm not trying to depict this product as "crap."  In point of fact, it seems to be an outstanding add-on, especially for those who prefer the Rex and Opus weather engines. Yet, I've been enjoying the capabilities this product provides for well over a year...for free.  Therefore, I don't see how this product will enhance my own, or any other ASN users, flight simulation experience.    

I wish you well and hope you're able to grow this product to its full potential.  You make fine aircraft and have some real capable programmers...good luck, sir!  

Matt King

Ok, all things being equal - everyone has had their say and we are getting well beyond the "announcement" of a new product - I am shutting this down.

Discussion of the pro's and con's of this and other similar products might be best served in it's own thread.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors