Sign in to follow this  
Guest BobLee

ILS nav and approach mode

Guest william273

continuing from my previous post a few days ago i'm unsure about the autopilot nav and approach modes. from what i understand and what i read, if you put the ILS freq. into Nav1 and hit the Nav button, it will follow the localizer. if you click the approach mode button it will do the same thing. question is, which do i want to click, Nav or approach? from what i've read they both seem to do the same thing. or does the approach mode track both the localizer and glideslope and the Nav button only tracks a localizer? thanks, william

AP in NAV mode will guide you to a VOR (lateral). ILS will guide you to the localizer and glideslope (lateral and horizontal).For a CATIII ILS approach, you will have to set both NAV radios to the ILS to automaticaly intercept and hold both the localizer and glideslope. If you set only NAV1, then the AP will only intercept and hold the localizer.

Guest RonB49

> If you set only NAV1, then the AP will only intercept and hold the localizer.Huh? Not so on my rig. I usually have NAV2 set to some nearby VOR while using NAV1, tuned to the ILS frequency, coupled via App Hold to the autopilot. With this arrangement, NAV2 can lead me to an approach fix where OBS1 (or HSI) will then display both localizer and glide slope information. Then the autopilot locks onto it.R-

Guest macman4

I don't know how you usually fly. The way I fly (and by no means am I no were near a expert)I'll make a plan in FSNav, export it to FS9 GPS.Fly the plan GPS. Nav1 on and Nav/GPS in GPS mode.When I get close to my des. airport I find out what R/W I'm going to use. Then I put that ILS freq. into nav1 radio.Then I break off the GPS mode to NAV mold and use heading hold to intercept the ILS R/W. That way Nav1 will capture the ILS of That R/W.When it does I'll watch the glideslope needle.When it starts to fall I change to Approach mode button and that will take me right to the R/W. Hope this helps in layments terms, works for me. Bob

Guest william273

sorry, i meant that as a question. just wasn't sure if it did that or not. roger that, use both nav 1 and approach hold. thanks very much. william

Guest william273

i'll have to check and see exactly what type of ILS i've been trying fly. thanks much. william

Guest william273

i think that was my problem or one of them. i wasn't waiting long enough for the glideslope to start falling or waited til it fell to far. tried hitting the app. hold button after it started falling BUT before it got to the middle dot. worked good then. thanks. william

Be very sure that you turn the GPS/NAV switch to the NAV mode before hitting the approach button.If the switch is in the GPS mode - you will have all kinds of weird stuff unless you have activated and approach with the GPS.An excellent practice, but not one which many people use.

Guest Shalomar

Donny AKA ShalomarFly 2 ROCKS!!!I have never had much of a problem using the HDG and ALT. NAV also works for the *initial* aproach. When I know I am below the gideslope, I activate APR if I'm in the mood. The autopilot still responds to changes in the heading bug. I put in an intercept course to the localiser, as long as it's shallow or I'm pretty far out it's no problem. I've never done a "real" CAT III autoland, (did cheat a few times) the biggest problem I have is when I deactivate the autopilot near decision height. It doesn't seem like the the trim is set right by the autopilot for the speed in FS9, but it's compensatable if anticipated. The Nav/GPS switch is crucial as otherwise said of course. REV is an aproach mode also, for runways like 24 at KABE where the ILS is on 6 but you can use the localiser for a nonprecision aproach on the recip. REV compesates for the go left when needles right scenario in planes without an HSI and it ignores the glideslope. In HSI planes, you would set the course arrow to 061 to help with handflying or situational awareness when "George" is doing it for you.Best Regards, Donny:-wave

Guest ecv737

FSNav will give you the altitude at which one intercepts the GS 5 miles (always 5 miles) from treshold. All you have to do is Zoom out the landing runway and right click (or left click I do not remember which)at the beginning of the asigned runway (the black line). Remember that in FS2004 you can only intercepr from below.What I do is to try to be as close as posible at the intercept altitude indicated from FS NAV for the asigned runway some 5 to 10 miles out(depending on obstacles) and have AP on and NAV 1 NAV2 in the same frecuency as indicated inprevious posting, use Nav mode, Heading Hold and then click APPR mode -REMEMBER- before getting to 5 miles DME.Do not forget to get out of the GPS/Nav mode, switch to NAV mode before hitting approach bottom(as indicated above).Edmundo

If there is an ILS, RNAV or VOR approach which one would you chose to get you down to the field, say flying a 737 PMDG.

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

Guest william273

thanks very much guys! all of you hit the nail on the head. just what i needed to know. thanks again. william

I always prefer the RNAV approach because they usually mirror the ILS approach very closely.A lot of VOR approaches will be "Circle to Land". That's an extremely useful technique to learn, especially if you fly GA sized aircraft.Also remember just because you are flying a RNAV or VOR approach, you can still use the ILS on final for the landing.

hiyes but some fields only have VORs to land not ILS equipped, especially country regional fields which still fly in 737s.

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

A few techniques every flightsimmer needs to learn are visual landings, executing a proper missed approach and circle to land.Those are important to me because I fly my flightsim all over the work in many different aircraft at fields from grass strips to the big international airports.The concept of traveling to different places around the world - learning about those place and the aircraft, airlines and products flown - those are then things which interest me.For someone who flies a regular route or a select few airports - DP/STAR, ILS, RNAV, etc - might be what they need.But in my mind, a flight simmer should be able to navigate to without the GPS to an island 800 miles from anything with only a VOR at the departure point and an NDB at the destination. Then land and takeoff a B727 on a 6,000 ft gravel or dirt runway with no lights.A commercial US airline flight I made several times back in 1973-74.If you want a real challenge - look up Continental Micronesia flight #956 PGUM-PTKK-PTPN-PTSA-PKWA-PKMJ-PHNL - or the return trip #957.Though they use B738's today - it's still test of skill.