Sign in to follow this  
joolsd

Best A/T Setting for Saitek throttle?

I just have a cheap throttle, which came with the Saitek Pro flight System. (Had it for years now)

Just of late I have been experimenting with the A/T settings in the MENU. As you are probably aware there is a A/T overide option in the MENU.

IN HOLD ARM/MODE ONLY

NEVER

ALWAYS

What is the best option to use for a none expensive throttle?

If you were in the real 737NG and you were flying level at FL250, with VNAV and LNAV on, and with the A/T on. What would happen if you pulled back on the throttle? Would it go back to the selected speed chosen speed in the cruise page in the CDU?

I tried all of these settings.

The 'IN HOLD ARM/MODE ONLY' just seems to fly the commarded speeds set in the CDU. I am not sure what this mode is doing? Or how it is different to NEVER?

NEVER: as expected.

ALWAYS: will momentarily reduce the speed but return to the commarded speed. (Kind of like this option)

thanks

Jools

The 'IN HOLD ARM/MODE ONLY' just seems to fly the commarded speeds set in the CDU. I am not sure what this mode is doing? Or how it is different to NEVER?

If only there were a manual or something someone could read to answer this...

This mode simply allows you to manipulate the throttle in HOLD/ARM, which is most commonly seen in IDLE PATH descents, and when the throttle drops to HOLD on takeoff.

ALWAYS: will momentarily reduce the speed but return to the commarded speed. (Kind of like this option)

This mode is best for people with throttles with servos, which yours likely does not.

Kyle Rodgers

If only there were a manual or something someone could read to answer this...

I saw this in the 'NGX indroduction' PDF is more info on this?

I read this unfortunatly I still don't fully understand it. Or at least it doesn't seem very intuative the way it works.

I'd be happier just not using any A/T mode at all at the moment.

I'd be happier just not using any A/T mode at all at the moment.

Why?

It's there to reduce the workload.

Sean Campbell

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

A/T is also much safer, that's why real pilots use it almost all  the time. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

A/T is also much safer, that's why pilots use it most all the time. 

I know I use it all the time, but maybe I don't fully understand how it works. It feels a bit like cruse control on a car that won't switch off.

What is the quickest way to idle the thrust at any stage of flight? 

For example with the A/T on and you need to reject the take off?

Or you are flying too fast in the climb after take off. Yes I know VNAV controls this but what if the pilot wants to completely interupt the power?

IN HOLD ARM/MODE ONLY

That's the best mode for "cheap" hardware throttles (i.e., not backdriven). However, you need to keep the throttles in SYNC with your thrust levers in the aircraft. This is particularly important during the take-off because at 80 knots the thrust mode reverts to HOLD, and you don't want the slightest breeze of air in your room to cause you a reverted take-off.

Help yourself with the BLUE RING around the N1 gauge, this BLUE RING set it to "when moving only", so that whenever you move your hardware throttle, you see the corresponding position of the aircraft's throttle.

If you were in the real 737NG and you were flying level at FL250, with VNAV and LNAV on, and with the A/T on. What would happen if you pulled back on the throttle? Would it go back to the selected speed chosen speed in the cruise page in the CDU?

In the real aircraft the pilot can ALWAYS override any control, this includes the thrust levers. If the pilot closes the throttles, of course the engines will spool down and the speed will decay, providing you're flying in a "thrust on speed" mode. Once the pilot releases his hand from the thrust levers, they will be driven back to the previous position to regain the commanded airspeed.

I don't know about the 737, but on the 777 if you're in a "pitch on speed" mode, for instance, FLCH (or LVL CH in the 737) and you manually override the thrust levers, the thrust mode will go from THR or THR REF to HOLD, disconnecting the servos and leaving thrust lever control up to the pilot.

This was one of the causes of the Asiana accident in SFO. You can read this interesting thread.

This mode will give your hardware control over the thrust levers whenever AT is engaged but the thrust mode on the FMA is "HOLD".

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

That's the best mode for "cheap" hardware throttles (i.e., not backdriven). However, you need to keep the throttles in SYNC with your thrust levers in the aircraft. This is particularly important during the take-off because at 80 knots the thrust mode reverts to HOLD, and you don't want the slightest breeze of air in your room to cause you a reverted take-off.

Help yourself with the BLUE RING around the N1 gauge, this BLUE RING set it to "when moving only", so that whenever you move your hardware throttle, you see the corresponding position of the aircraft's throttle.

In the real aircraft the pilot can ALWAYS override any control, this includes the thrust levers. If the pilot closes the throttles, of course the engines will spool down and the speed will decay, providing you're flying in a "thrust on speed" mode. Once the pilot releases his hand from the thrust levers, they will be driven back to the previous position to regain the commanded airspeed.

I don't know about the 737, but on the 777 if you're in a "pitch on speed" mode, for instance, FLCH (or LVL CH in the 737) and you manually override the thrust levers, the thrust mode will go from THR or THR REF to HOLD, disconnecting the servos and leaving thrust lever control up to the pilot.

This was one of the causes of the Asiana accident in SFO. You can read this interesting thread.

This mode will give your hardware control over the thrust levers whenever AT is engaged but the thrust mode on the FMA is "HOLD".

OK great this is really  helpful thank you. I will need to lookinto this more.

What is the quickest way to idle the thrust at any stage of flight? 

Manually closing the thrust levers.

At the same time the pilot would disconnect the AT via the disengage switch, conveniently located under the thumb when the hand is on the lever.

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

Ok cool, yes I have done this with the saitek, by using the buttons as a A/T disconect.