Sign in to follow this  
ozflyer

Minimum FPS for a smooth FSX

I hear30 fps is smooth, have also read 20 GPS is good.

Just wanted to know what is the minimum fps required for a smooth experience, without scenery lags etc.

Thanks

Don't  know why  you want  to know  for  as  long  as  your   having  a smooth flight is  what  counts?    Don't  go  fps   watching  as  some  users   here  seem to be  doing,  if  you have  stutters  than  start  to  figure  out  whats  going  wrong  till  then  just  fly  and  don't use  shift  and  z  at all :wink:

• Upvote 2

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I agree with Pete, although for me anything under 20 FPS feels a little shaky. Fortunately I've been able to tune my install to pretty much always remain above 25 FPS in all circumstances.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Don't  know why  you want  to know  for  as  long  as  your   having  a smooth flight is  what  counts?    Don't  go  fps   watching  as  some  users   here  seem to be  doing,  if  you have  stutters  than  start  to  figure  out  whats  going  wrong  till  then  just  fly  and  don't use  shift  and  z  at all :wink:

Yeah... I pretty much keep fps on and watch the numbers... external views email around 20 GPS, but in VC and with Rex soft clouds my fPS drops to 15.

But I think its a benchmark I am trying to hit... even at 15 fps I don't find any jerkiness in the scenery.

• Upvote 1

Away from Orbx airports,  I have the outside scenery sliding smoothly by with no obvious jitters as low as 15fps and sometimes even lower with no real jitters.

I've seen people claiming 60,70,even more fps on these forums and wonder why bother. The human eye and brain processes the outside world at 25 fps. With my old PC that cant accommodate a new display card Im grateful for anything over 20.

But I think it depends on the planes you are in. I stay mostly with props and so dont go over 150 kts generally and landing speeds 90-100kts, and by my reckoning  fps is not as important, as for each 1/25 of a second you dont cover as much ground as a faster plane does, so jitters are not as obvious. If someone can show my logic here is wrong, please do.

Don't watch the frame rate counter, don't even turn it on, it is a distraction.  As long as the sim is displaying a smooth simulation of motion, fps does not matter.

• Upvote 1

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I've seen people claiming 60,70,even more fps on these forums and wonder why bother. The human eye and brain processes the outside world at 25 fps.

While I agree with your comments about framerate peeping, I have trouble letting this slide, especially in framerate discussions, because while often cited it is dead wrong.   The whole "24 fps is all you need because it's what the movies use" disregards the fact that the only reason it works is because film contains motion blur, which smooths out what would otherwise be stuttery motion.

The minimum detectable gap varies based upon your own biology and training, but the human "average" is definitely above 24/25 fps.   This graph from one study on this shows that the mean gap detection threshold for young adults is under 20ms -- so over 50fps.   This page has some demonstrations on the effects of framerate, and includes the note that some Air Force pilots have been able to not only see, but identify a plane flashed to them in only 1/220th of a second.

I think it's safe to say they could detect more than 24fps.

(Personally,  I detect a noticable difference between 30fps and 60fps. My current rig pushes 3440x1440 with sliders way to the right around 60fps usually, and I can tell the difference when it drops to 30ish.  Really, though, I can fly fine all the way down to about 20fps.  Beyond that small control inputs become difficult.)

• Upvote 3

I have stated in another forum that I can sometimes see "stutter" or individual frames of a movie, and most people did not believe me.  I have been used to gaming at 60fps for a very long time and my eyes and mind have gotten used to it.  I was also a commercial rated pilot years ago.  I mentioned at that web site that some military pilots could see individual frames while in a flight simulator that ran at 60 fps [or did at that time, I am not sure if military flight simulators now use 120fps].

I will be 67 years old tomorrow, and if I can sometimes see individual frames while watching a movie on television, I am very sure many younger people can as well.

There is a satisfaction threshold for many games, including flight simulator.  For flight simulator it seems to be 20 fps and above for many people, 24 fps* does not bother me much, even though I can see individual frames that make the game "stutter" or look choppy for a lack of better terminology.

If I want to increase frame rates I increase my i5 3570K from 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz and that makes a great deal of difference, as 30 fps is the lowest I like to go.  Usually at 4.0GHz my frame rates are acceptable to 60 fps+, large airports in large cities with lots of aircraft and ground vehicles, including automobiles drop fps especially on several of my *Carenado and some Alebeo aircraft.  Planes from companies like Milviz produce high frame rates no matter where I fly.

The only add-ons I have are aircraft, Zinertek HD Airport Graphics, GEX and UTX.  I use no programs to increase fps nor do I get into the code to increase fps.  I use raw "horsepower" only.

Although my computer is four years old, my video card is not, and is used for more than MS FSX. 

For those that are interested my computer specs include:

MB: Gigabyte Z77X-D3H, Intel  i5 3570K at 4.0 or 4.4GHz on air [it can do 4.6GHz however I like temps no more than in the 60s [C] under stress, and that means running it at 4.4GHz. If I want to keep max temps in the 50s [C] while under heavy load I decrease the overclock to 4.0GHz], CPU cooler: Noctura NH-C14 with two 140mm SSO fans, TIM:  GELID Solutions GC-Extreme, RAM:  24GB of G.Skill Ripjaws X 1866 CAS 9. SSD Samsung Pro, Intel 335 series, WD Black 4TH, Video card: MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning LE, Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Z, PSU: Seasonic Platinum 660 watt, Case:  Cooler Master 922 HAF [High Air Flow], Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, UPS:  APC XS 1500 Back-Up

• Upvote 1

thxs for  the above...I did not cite the 25 fps because movies use it .. it was what we got told in high school i.e. that humans see the world at 28 fps .. obviously research in the intervening decades has put that into the "busted" bin.

It would be interesting to know if humans are now processing their eye input data at higher speeds due to constantly looking at IT screens and TVs.  The principles of evolution would suggest such a possibility.

I completely agree with those who suggest trying to avoid falling into the trap of FPS watching. I went through a phase of FPS watching many years ago when I first started using FS9 and I found I was becoming preoccupied with watching the FPS rather than enjoying the flight itself. As others have said, providing everything is looking smooth to you the user, the FPS doesn't really matter and now using FSX, I don't have the FPS counter visible at all. The only time I turn on the FPS monitor is when I am assessing the performance of a new FSX addon for the first time, when I like to establish how demanding it is going to be on resources (I also monitor VAS usage on initial use of new addons) or if I am having display issues with FSX.

Bill

• Upvote 2

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Dan! And keep enjoying simulated flying!

• Upvote 1

Felix

To me, the minimum minimum is 20 FPS. Desirable minimum is 30 FPS.

Above that, we can start talking about smooth or not smooth, in my honest opinion, although there are people who disagree :)

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

Flyfox,  Thank you very much!  :Party:

Dan

To me, the minimum minimum is 20 FPS. Desirable minimum is 30 FPS.

Above that, we can start talking about smooth or not smooth, in my honest opinion, although there are people who disagree :)

To my mind it's either smooth or it isn't - the FPS is irrelevant. Once you start to put figures into the equation, you start to become concerned when your FPS falls to whatever you've decided is the minimum without considering whether or not it's still looking good.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I always associated low FPS with stutters... is that not right ?.

I have posted another thread asking for advice on my setup... I.e should I keep HT on or off on my rig... specs in my signature below.