Sign in to follow this  
Cavemanhead

How realistic is the default P3d ATC?

I'm looking for a realistic experience...  What is the best paid add on for ATC?  My primary interest right now is VFR, thought please answer the question in the context of VFR and IFR.

Also, same question but from the standpoint of learning ATC via online like VATSIM, Pilot's edge, etc...  What do folks here recommend?

Pilotedge is hands-down the best learning/flying VFR/ IFR experience that can be had...Its not free, and limited to the LOS ANGELES ARTC, and only From 7 AM to 11 PM Pacific time I believe..

…second is VATSIM or IVAO, both free but limited in terms of tower manning…and third, a tie, still functional, is the legacy Radar Contact (RCV4.)3, & and the highly immersive and enjoyable, but apparently orphaned, voice-driven voxATC.

No matter what, you're going to have to do your homework and learn ATC with the myriad of Training tools available on the Internet. Pilotedge has wonderful, in depth tutorials taught by Pete Smith, Pilotedge's founder and owner.

I hope this helps,

Chas

• Upvote 1

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Default is really pointless when comparing to real life.

It doesn't so so SO many of the things that happen in real life all the time, I'd almost call it useless/pointless to use the default ATC.

PilotEdge is the best - VATSIM can be great, all depending upon the region, density of traffic and controller skill/care about his work.

Pro ATC X is the best if you are flying IFR.  

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

As the primary interest is VFR I'm not sure of what you are looking for? Airport control? Circuits? Enroute flight following?

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

Pro ATC X is the best if you are flying IFR.

What's its status these days?  I remember when it was coming out and the whole event gives me shivers.  Some extremely unhappy people.

BTW, there's also this one http://www.avsim.com/forum/713-pilot2atc-users-forum/ which is currently in 2.0 beta.  I tried a 1.x version a while back and it had some glitches but it had potential.  Looks like a decent beta underway.  Any reports from how it's doing from anyone?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

What's its status these days?  I remember when it was coming out and the whole event gives me shivers.  Some extremely unhappy people.

BTW, there's also this one http://www.avsim.com/forum/713-pilot2atc-users-forum/ which is currently in 2.0 beta.  I tried a 1.x version a while back and it had some glitches but it had potential.  Looks like a decent beta underway.  Any reports from how it's doing from anyone?

I have flown every ATC in MSFS since it came out, including a couple of years on Vatsim. ProATC is the most realistic ATC I have ever tried, and it is in development currently. I don't fly without it, ever, 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I have flown every ATC in MSFS since it came out, including a couple of years on Vatsim. ProATC is the most realistic ATC I have ever tried, and it is in development currently. I don't fly without it, ever,

Nice to see a good review.  I'm still on my hands on ATC.  I have RadarContact...had some issues but more RTM problems than anything.  VOXATC gave me fits losing where I was, completely losing contact with it...nice when it works.  Pilot2ATC has some serious potential but may have a ways to go?  I'll look at ProATC when I get some time.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I second PROATC/X, especially if you like flying SID/STAR procdures. Here's a flight I did to Las Vegas to give you an idea what to expect. (accelled time in cruise) This is in FSX.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

For VFR, default ATC is fine. You aren't missing much compared to the real world. Call your position, call your pattern, land. Call your runway, takeoff. It's no different in real life.

For IFR, ProATC /X is the way to go.

• Upvote 1

Guest JustanotherPilot

ProATCX is brilliant for airliners or commuters flying IFR, will guide you through SIDS and assign STAR approaches, has background ATC chatter and communication with AI aircraft, it is an ever evolving program, adding more features each update.

For VFR, default ATC is fine. You aren't missing much compared to the real world. Call your position, call your pattern, land. Call your runway, takeoff. It's no different in real life.

For IFR, ProATC /X is the way to go.

+1 on both. I'd even say for VFR default ATC is even better than any add-on. And ProATC needs some time to get used to but it is very easy (quick) to use and works great (IFR only indeed): I had some strange problems in the beginning (losing contact with ATC, getting odd instructions, etc.) but I don't have those at all anymore (I've been using the add-on with the AS Airbus almost daily for a few weeks now) so those were clearly 'pilot errors'.  :wink:

I'd even say for VFR default ATC is even better than any add-on.

Fully agree.  I mainly fly VFR in FSX/P3D, and the default really can't be beat for that purpose.  Except of course, perhaps something like PilotEdge, where you could transition into IFR if changing conditions called for it.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Hi Folks,

Yeah - I still use RC4 for all IFR flights - but - default for all VFR... My only gripe about default with VFR is with Flight Following - RW - ATC typically knows your destination - therefore - they would facilitate the handoff to any controlled airspace at your destination airport - which I don't believe default ATC does...

Well that - and provide real traffic separation services - hah - the holy grail of ATC - but that ground has remained untrodden in FS - still waiting...

:wink:

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7