Sign in to follow this  
Arjun7741

fsx how to improve performance

I am running FSX On a HP 15 Notebook with

Windows7

Intel®HD Graphics card

Intel®Pentium®CPU N3450 2.16Ghz 2159Mhz 4core(s)

I get 30Fps while cruising and with scenery density 7-10fps

How can i improve performance by ?by upgrading Graphics card or processor?and which processor or graphics card?

Ouch.  Yeah, a notebook with on board graphics card and Pentium is really going to struggle.  And notebooks are hard to upgrade.  You'll find a lot of info on this issue with a little searching, but, in general, FSX is CPU bound rather than GPU limited.  Generally, you need at least 4 ghz to use higher settings in complex areas and still get decent FPS.  Once you have a top end CPU, like an i7 that you can run at 4.5 ghz or better, then upgrading your GPU can help a bit with some aspects of graphics, but the CPU really has to come first.

I run FSX on an i5 2550k I've had for a few years now that I oc to 4.3 ghz and a new GTX 970.  I can do most areas at very high to high settings, but Seattle and San Fran and LA/San Diego still slow things down into the 20s, particularly when overcast or in more demanding aircraft.  

The FSX graphics engine just wasn't built for the kinds of architecture we have now.  And most of our current addons are pushing that engine as far as it can go.  Perhaps what DTG is doing with it will make a difference.  Perhaps not.  

If you are planning to do a lot of flying, and not just "every now and then", don't use the laptop.  Go with Griphos's suggestions, but investigate at least an i7 CPU running not less than 4.0Ghz and a graphics card that will compliment the CPU.  A GTX 970 ain't a bad choice.

Stew

"Different dog, different fleas"

I'm sure there's a laptop which will run FSX....but yours isn't it!

Stan

actually it works pretty decently for me on this laptop but yeah I'm gonna upgrade my CPU first and see

I am running FSX On a HP 15 Notebook with

Windows7

Intel®HD Graphics card

Intel®Pentium®CPU N3450 2.16Ghz 2159Mhz 4core(s)

I get 30Fps while cruising and with scenery density 7-10fps

How can i improve performance by ?by upgrading Graphics card or processor?and which processor or graphics card?

Intel graphics is notorious for poor performance with sims such as FSX, Nvidia is the best for FSX.

The CPU is slow, best FSX performance comes from multiple cores running at 4 GHz or faster.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

First off, Stan's comment about laptops that can run FSX, yes there are and you have to invest a lot to get FSX, even P3D or X-plane to actually fly well and give you the graphics you want.  The laptop you currently have will not provide to you a sim the way it should be seen and operated.  Onboard graphics will die on you if you adjust your settings to anything near what the sim should display.  A Pentium, while still a decent processor, is still underperforming.  Take this from someone who has been through a few laptops over the years, trying to get FSX and P3D to perform well.  My current laptop was customized in order to handle whatever FSX or P3D could throw at it.

Your current laptop may be difficult to upgrade to anything that can handle the advanced graphics and performance and there is no way to upgrade the gpu, as it is integrated with the cpu.  You definitely need a separate graphics card to handle things, but more so, a processor well about 3ghz.  If you are getting 30fps with your laptop, you must have the settings set rather low, which really doesn't unlock the true potential of the sim.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit