Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[08MAY16] PMDG DC-6 Update - Beta Testing Nearly FInished for X-Plane Release!

Here is a nice preparitory training video. The commentary is in German but with English subtitles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnkP1d-3u2E

Good find. That's the sister ship to the one we modeled.

There's a really good line in there, too:

"Wie kannst du wissen wohin du gehst wenn du nicht weißt wo du herkommst? [...] Wie sollen wir sonst den kommenden Generationen von Piloten und Flugingenieuren erklären wie es früher war?"

"How can you know where you're going if you don't know where you're coming from? [...] How else can we explain to the next generation of pilots and flight engineers what it was like in the old days?"

That's definitely along the lines of the things I say at airshows when people ask why someone would put so much work into such an old aircraft.

The airport fee mentions remind me a lot of all of the random stuff Jerrie Mock had to deal with in her round-the-world flight. Her book - Three-Eight Charlie, an allusion to the tail number - goes into quite a bit of detail about this constant hassle.

Kyle Rodgers

Good find. That's the sister ship to the one we modeled.

There's a really good line in there, too:

"Wie kannst du wissen wohin du gehst wenn du nicht weißt wo du herkommst? [...] Wie sollen wir sonst den kommenden Generationen von Piloten und Flugingenieuren erklären wie es früher war?"

"How can you know where you're going if you don't know where you're coming from? [...] How else can we explain to the next generation of pilots and flight engineers what it was like in the old days?"

That's definitely along the lines of the things I say at airshows when people ask why someone would put so much work into such an old aircraft.

The airport fee mentions remind me a lot of all of the random stuff Jerrie Mock had to deal with in her round-the-world flight. Her book - Three-Eight Charlie, an allusion to the tail number - goes into quite a bit of detail about this constant hassle.

Kyle,

It did mention in the video how much oil the engines drink lol. Off hand I can't remember but it was a lot! That's going to catch a few simmers out if you model that rate of consumption!!

It did mention in the video how much oil the engines drink lol. Off hand I can't remember but it was a lot!

They certainly do. We have a literal crate of oil for the DC-3. Not even kidding. We don't take it with us, but if we go on a longer flight, more oil containers get brought on board with us.

That's going to catch a few simmers out if you model that rate of consumption!!

:diablo:

Kyle Rodgers

Looks like a very refined aircraft and I am looking forward to the release. The attention to detail and the "F/E" are impressive. This will be my first PMDG aircraft. I am a fan already.

Will there be a ready to fly mode? While all the complexity of  cold and dark mode are interesting, I'd like to be able to fly and see how it handles.

Jim Morgan

Will there be a ready to fly mode?

X-Plane loads the aircraft either engines running or off, globally, depending on how you set XPL up. RSR's screenshots didn't show it, but if you look at the icon panel on the left, the Airplane Icon will bring up the ramp manager, which has three presets: cold & dark, ready for start (useful if want the satisfaction of starting the engines, because everything up to that point is already set for you), and ready for taxi (engines running, just run the before takeoff checks).

Kyle Rodgers

Hi Scandinavian 13,

Thanks for your quick response.

I flew the DC-6 and DC-7 as an FO/FE. Not that I remember everything, but it sure will be interesting to be back in the virtual DC-6 cockpit. I am looking forward to flying the PMDG version.

Jim Morgan

I flew the DC-6 and DC-7 as an FO/FE. Not that I remember everything, but it sure will be interesting to be back in the virtual DC-6 cockpit. I am looking forward to flying the PMDG version.

Nice! My step-grandfather used to fly on them a whole bunch between the NY Area and Scandinavia since he managed the US operation of SAS. It's interesting to hear his stories about flying back then. From what I remember, they pioneered some cool stuff  with the DC-7.

Kyle Rodgers

Love the video! I haven't so much as touched FSX since the release of IXEG. I love X plane- very excited for this release

Peter Osborn

Looking forward to this one!  How are the flight dynamics?  How close were you able to get it?  I understand because of the way X-Plane models performance it's a lot harder to get it on the mark throughout the same envelope as P3D/FSX.

Tony

Great work as always from Pmdg !

Just out of interest a question from a programming layman::

"Initial release will take place on the X-Plane platform, with FSX/FSX-SE and Prepar3D versions to follow."

Is it possible to recuperate some of the X-plane coding or programming for FSX or will the Fsx version have to be redone from scratch?

Guy

The core simulation stuff that we run "outside" the sim will port over fine, but X-Plane and FSX/P3D are pretty different in terms of how the aircraft interacts with the sim, so there will definitely be work involved to move it to another platform like that.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Yeah, the differences are CLEAR...X-plane seems much more fluid and feels closer to a ' real' plane.

Peter Osborn

The core simulation stuff that we run "outside" the sim will port over fine, but X-Plane and FSX/P3D are pretty different in terms of how the aircraft interacts with the sim, so there will definitely be work involved to move it to another platform like that.

Thanks for the answer !

Guy

Steve, No need- the plane they modeled this after ( I think ) is on sale for 1.2 million...

Here's a video about restoration of the bird they ferried from Africa. I think all that would probably have cost significantly more than the 1.2 million purchase price you mention...

• Upvote 2

ACH1506.jpg

“Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.” — Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time

Hello Guys,

I have a question regarding the upcomming release of the DC-6. I´m a proud owner of the 777 and the 747 and REALLY excited about the DC-6 release BUT I have serious concerns about x-plane, maybe someone is able to answer me this "to buy or not to buy" question.

I bought X-Plane and the beaver and put it away after a few hours just because of the non existing feature to save flights properly. The DC-6 is well known for her long flight abilities and I think it would be frustrating to not be able to save flights in a proper state. PMDG always comes up with creative external or internal solutions so how about this one? or with other words: Is this worth a buy for "flight saver"?

I do know x-plane is a "better" simulator but I really can´t understand how people want to fly big birds without the ability to save your flight?! Especially for new aircrafts where I want to be able to test several inflight conditions.

Best Regards,

MightyRic

p.s. I hope it´s ok to ask in this thread^^