Sign in to follow this  
JLSeagull

Quality Biplane?

The NGX is an unparallelled 'tech-dream' to fly - as is the T7. The C182 and Lancair, allied with the GTN750, bring a whole new level of hedonistic enjoyment to my short-haul jaunts ..... but ..... I have this nagging urge to get into a good old-fashioned biplane and experience some proper 'seat of the pants' flying!  To that end; can anyone suggest (or endorse), a top quality biplane for P3D?

Thanks in advance,

... Now, where did I put those goggles....?

a top quality biplane for P3D?

Waco by Alabeo is a fantastic biplane, they also do the stagger wing which is fantastic also.

http://www.alabeo.com/index.php

tpewpb-6.png

The biplane that I found, by far, the best is the AN-2 from Sibwings http://www.sibwings.com/an2.php . Nimble she is not  :smile: , but an excellent model inside out (including flight) and a joy to fly .

• Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I have lots of biplanes in my collection but none of them are especially challenging to fly, with the caveat that the restricted forward view makes things harder. Personally, I love the GAS models and have many of their biplanes, including the Travel Airs, Great Lakes, Pitcairn Mailwing, Stearman, Classic WACOs, WACO F & F2 and the original New Standard. I love all of these, but some more than others as the earlier cockpits can be a bit bland. I also have the Alabeo WACO YMF-5, the Staggerwing and the Turbine Toucan. The last is, without a doubt, the hardest to fly but is hardly traditional! Oh, and don't forget the Gloster Gladiators from Icarusgold and FSAddons. (The former looks great but flies like a Lamborghini drives. The latter is a better simulation.)

You can find videos reviewing or featuring the following aircraft on my YT channel:

- Icarusgold Gloster Gladiator (review)

- GAS Classic WACOs package (review)

- GAS WACO F and F2 package (review)

- GAS Stearman (sort of review)

- GAS New Standard D25A - FS9 version (featured)

- Alabeo WACO YMF-5 (review)

- Alabeo Beech Staggerwing (review)

- Turbine Toucan (review)

You can see the WACOs here. This is the short version - there is also the original 5-part extended version ;)

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Yes I can recommend the AN-2 , night textures are amazing!

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

I also like the Christen Eagle from Iris Simulations. Very agile, but big fun!

Felix

A2A's Avro 504K is fun too. Not an Accusim plane, but still provides a solid experience.

And as posted before, I can recommend Alabeo's biplane offerings. Eye candy for sure.

I have lots of biplanes in my collection but none of them are especially challenging to fly, with the caveat that the restricted forward view makes things harder. Personally, I love the GAS models and have many of their biplanes, including the Travel Airs, Great Lakes, Pitcairn Mailwing, Stearman, Classic WACOs, WACO F & F2 and the original New Standard. I love all of these, but some more than others as the earlier cockpits can be a bit bland. I also have the Alabeo WACO YMF-5, the Staggerwing and the Turbine Toucan. The last is, without a doubt, the hardest to fly but is hardly traditional! Oh, and don't forget the Gloster Gladiators from Icarusgold and FSAddons. (The former looks great but flies like a Lamborghini drives. The latter is a better simulation.)

You can find videos reviewing or featuring the following aircraft on my YT channel:

- Icarusgold Gloster Gladiator (review)

- GAS Classic WACOs package (review)

- GAS WACO F and F2 package (review)

- GAS Stearman (sort of review)

- GAS New Standard D25A - FS9 version (featured)

- Alabeo WACO YMF-5 (review)

- Alabeo Beech Staggerwing (review)

- Turbine Toucan (review)

You can see the WACOs here. This is the short version - there is also the original 5-part extended version ;)

Excellent info Mark!  For what it is worth - I succumbed shortly after my initial post and have spent a fair amount of the afternoon [memo to the Memsahib: the grass in the garden will only be a couple of millimetres taller tomorrow dearest], getting intimately acquainted with the Alabeo WACO YMF-5 and have been thoroughly enjoying every moment of true 'low and slow' whilst being able to hang my head outside of the cockpit and admire the views offered by Orbx (that usually float by several thousand feet below). It really doesn't get much better than this Gentlemen. I even returned to the Alabeo website this evening, fully intent on adding the Beech StaggerWIng to the hangar, but the site is currently down for maintenance. Hey Ho! There is always tomorrow.....  

A special 'thank you' to you other guys for your suggestions as well - and I will follow up on all of them. [memo to self: I think that the Memsahib might just have to employ a new Gardener] !! :yahoo:                                                                                              

Yeah. It's: Rise of Flight :)

Are you in the right Forum.....?

The biplane that I found, by far, the best is the AN-2 from Sibwings http://www.sibwings.com/an2.php . Nimble she is not  :smile: , but an excellent model inside out (including flight) and a joy to fly .

This works in P3D V3?

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

Hi Dominique .... and THAT is a very impressive video!  Can I pose a 'generic' question to every member reading this post? Doesn't that video just about sum up what REAL flight simming is all about? Any fool and his cat can hit LNAV + VNAV + CMDA  at 400' and sit there for hour after hour whilst the expensive PC and multiple displays fly the route for hour .. after hour... after hour .... after ..... yawn!  zzzzzzzzzzz

Whatever happened to to the spirit and determined Pilot grit of actually getting an unfeasibly heavy lump of metal from point A to point B without killing yourself and everyone else on-board?

Anyone care to discuss?

Are you in the right Forum.....?

Yes, I think so. Though you might have your vision distorted if you lack a sense of humor...