Re-Used from existing setup

- Antec P180

- Corsair GS800 (800w)

- System SSD : Corsair Force Series 3 180 GB

- Sim SSD : Crucial MX100 512 GB

- Couple of Western HDD for data.

- Noctua U12P Ventirad.

Added parts (pretty much 2016 standard)

- I7-6700k + LGA1151 mounting kit for noctua.

- Asus Maximus VIII Ranger

- Couple of Noctua NF-F12 PWM fans to replace existing NF-P12 CPU fan (almost dead).

- 3 Noctua NF-S12A PWM to replace stock case fans (dead).

- DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws V, 2 x 8 GB, 3200 MHz, CAS 15

- Win7 x64 until there is no more support and no other options than W10 (around 2018 if I read correct).

- And finally .... one GTX1080 starting end of May (GTX760 during transition).

Just tell me your thoughts ! Apart from the videocard, everything else is already ordered.

• Upvote 1

- 3 Noctua NF-S12A PWM to replace stock case fans (dead).

Nice fans, I have 5 of them ready for my 6700K build, for a Lian Li X510.

Couple of Noctua NF-F12 PWM fans

Again, great fans. I too have a couple on my shelf, spare. Some dislike the Noctua colour scheme, but I love it.

You can't beat Noctua fans, quiet, great performance and great build quality.

DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws V, 2 x 8 GB, 3200 MHz, CAS 15

Yep, same as me. looks like we are on same page.

Are you overclocking Jerome? If so, will the U12P be enough? Great coolers Noctua, but if I were you I'd consider the NH-D15S. That was my chosen cooler, as I'm not a fan of closed loop coolers.

Win7 x64 until there is no more support and no other options than W10 (around 2018 if I read correct).

I'm not a fanatical simmer these days, so I had no hesitation in opting for W10.

And finally .... one GTX1080 starting end of May (GTX760 during transition).

I already have an EVGA GTX980 Ti Classified, so unless the GTX 1080 demonstrates phenomenal performance, I'll be sticking to that. If I were to switch, I would wait until the non-reference designs were available, better clocks and cooler.

I take it you aren't bothering with M.2 or U.2 for now?

i would wait for the 1080ti, it will have much more vram and more future proof, i have a 980ti and plan on waiting until the 1080ti,the non reference cards are better with 2 or 3 fans in my opinion, outside of that everything looks great.

Are you overclocking Jerome? If so, will the U12P be enough? Great coolers Noctua, but if I were you I'd consider the NH-D15S. That was my chosen cooler, as I'm not a fan of closed loop coolers.

Hi Martin, yes I am currently, I use this U12P for Oc'ing a I7-3820 from stock 3.6 to 4.4. I played a bit with bclk in the past but I couldn't manage to go much higher. As I mentionned in first post, this part I already have so I will give a try with it first to see if I can push the 6700k to 4.4~4.5 territory while keeping reasonable dB levels.

To be honest I have no clue if they will be enough before trying :-|

I take it you aren't bothering with M.2 or U.2 for now?

Why not for future SSD purchases :) As far as I keep my current SSDs, will stick to SATA3. I have to keep a budget here so new SSD or new case was the first things I dropped.

I already have an EVGA GTX980 Ti Classified, so unless the GTX 1080 demonstrates phenomenal performance, I'll be sticking to that. If I were to switch, I would wait until the non-reference designs were available, better clocks and cooler.

Honestly I don't think there will be that much improvement, sim wise, from a 980ti (especially overclocked) and a 1080.

Only added benefit I see for the 1080 are the 2 additional GB, if that's ever needed depending on the number of displays and 1440p vs UHD. And the lower W consumption.

i would wait for the 1080ti, it will have much more vram and more future proof, i have a 980ti and plan on waiting until the 1080ti,the non reference cards are better with 2 or 3 fans in my opinion, outside of that everything looks great.

Well the thing is, I currently have a GTX760, and I have been pushing the brakes since months to avoid purchasing a 980ti and waiting for Pascal. If you own a 760 and want to upgrade, 1080 is a no brainer choice today compared to a 980ti isn't it.

Can't wait for 1080ti, I guess it will be at least 9 month wait in line, I have no more patience :-)

I agree with you there Brett. The non-reference designs are usually way better in terms of cooling. The EVGA ACX 2.0 coolers for example. Usually they are pre overclocked too.

Hi Martin, yes I am currently, I use this U12P for Oc'ing a I7-3820 from stock 3.6 to 4.4. I played a bit with bclk in the past but I couldn't manage to go much higher. As I mentionned in first post, this part I already have so I will give a try with it first to see if I can push the 6700k to 4.4~4.5 territory while keeping reasonable dB levels.

To be honest I have no clue if they will be enough before trying :-|

The Noctua U12p is 12 degrees hotter than the D15 Jerome, overcloked, under load. Just so you know where you stand. I'm guessing you may be able to get the 6700K to 4.5 - 4.6 GHz, with the U12P. Dependant on the silicone lottery of course. Not to mention the quality of your chips IHS/Die interface.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/noctua_nhd15/5.htm

• Upvote 1

Exellent mems, gskil 3200 2x8 c15 is very very good ,

Its samsung B-die have 4sets , all as good as trident Z 4000mhz ( same chip)

The Noctua U12p is 12 degrees hotter than the D15 Jerome, overcloked, under load. Just so you know where you stand. I'm guessing you may be able to get the 6700K to 4.5 - 4.6 GHz, with the U12P. Dependant on the silicone lottery of course. Not to mention the quality of your chips IHS/Die interface.

http://www.overclock...tua_nhd15/5.htm

You got me.

I've just spotted a 40$ used NH-D14 on a local ads website. Trying to get it before the "week-end build" if still avail.

If I send back to store my two NF-F12 PWM, that will cover the cost of the D14. Let's cross fingers :)

• Upvote 1

I've just spotted a 40$ used NH-D14 on a local ads website.

The NH-D14 is 4 degrees warmer than the newer NH-D15. I have the old NH-D14 in my Ivy Bridge rig.

A good buy if you are short of cash.

However, my preference is for the new NH-D15S.

The "S" variant is, in my opinion, the perfection of the design. Way better RAM clearance and an offset design so that there's more space between the cooler and the uppermost PCIe slot. It has only one fan rather than two. But the difference between two fans and one is only 2 degrees and you can add a second fan if you desire.

Make sure the NH-D14/D15 or 15S fits in your case. They are big.

Very important for all the coolers, in particular the D14/D15 is to make sure you have enough RAM clearance!

D14 dimensions here...

http://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-d14/specification

D15 dimensions here...

http://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-d15/specification

D15S dimensions here...

http://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-d15s/specification

Okay the D14 seems unavailable so I went to a D15 finally. It will be okay on the dimensions with Ripjaws V. Corsair vengeance would have been a totally different story :)

Im sure i will be Martin, will report back.

It's very hard to say no to a 12°C improvement. That will allow to crank up the vcore a notch and gain that extra FPS that makes the whole difference :)

I see it like you guys.

I am also waiting for the GTX 1080 in a non-reference design. Best for me would be EVGA or Asus, they have the best designs in my eyes.

Would I have a 980ti I guess I would wait for the 1080ti or even for the next generation.

But as I own a GTX 970 and want to play in 4K - I will also go for the 1080 because the 970 is simply not fast enough for the new titles in 4K. :-(

I see it like you guys.

I am also waiting for the GTX 1080 in a non-reference design. Best for me would be EVGA or Asus, 

Yep, agree with you 100%. I've had many EVGA cards, love em. The ACX 2.0 cooler is great, cool and quiet. Fantastic support form EVGA too.

Hi Jerome

If you like silent OC , you can easy OC your GSkill 3200 mems with less then safe 1.4v like the 4000-4133 trident Z kits

You gain like 200mhz on CPU clock, approx 0.5-0.7% each 100mhz depending how much you most loose the timings.

How you do it set 16-16-16-36 in bios raise the dramvoltage to 1.3950v raise the dramspeed to 3733 or 3866mhz .

Mine 3200 do 4000mhz with these timings and voltage, a cheap way without buy overprized kits.

Voltage less than 1.4v is safe on Skylake memcontroller 24/7 , the samsung mem itself have no problem with much more voltage 24/7 a safe Max voltage 24/7 is 1.45v for the memcontroller.

I am almost done with the setup, currently reinstalling the simulator.

Finally got a D15S, thanks to Amazon Premium, that last change didn't impact the delivery delays.

I am glad I took this route. It's huge. I would have add problems with the PCI16x bus proximity using the D14/D15.

IMG_5818_Small_Mobile.jpg
IMG_5819_Small_Mobile.jpg
IMG_5820_Small_Mobile.jpg

I added an extra fan to it on the right to gain that extra 1°C hopefully.
As you can see on pics, all case fans as been swapped for Noctua fans.

IMG_5829_Small_Mobile.jpg

Top case fan
IMG_5830_Small_Mobile.jpg

Back fan
IMG_5831_Small_Mobile.jpg

Front fan
IMG_5832_Small_Mobile.jpg

Windows Seven installation was a bit tricky due to the lack of xHCI support.
Asus EZInstall ISO patcher didn't work, both SATA DVD-drives weren't working at all. The Auto_Unattend method didn't work either. Hopefully, the Asrock ISO patcher hopefully worked, loading USB3 drivers during Win7 install was flawless.

By the way, I gave a try to windows 10 but it lasted 24 hours. I just couldn't cope with the way windowsupdate works. After using it for a couple of hours, I had already made ~10 hacks to the registry to disable this, or that, define ethernet as "metered" to pause the windowsupdate downloads, and see that it has already upgraded my chipset and nvidia drivers without my permission. Enough of that, went back to Seven.

Here's my previous 3820 with an Asrock X79 and the Noctua U12 on it, waiting for its new owner :
IMG_5834_Small_Mobile.jpg

Haven't overclocked yet (apart from loading XMP to reach DDR4-3200 speed). I am running at stock 4.2Ghz, case open, core temp not exceeding 30°C at idle. The calm before the storm :)
  • Upvote 1