Sign in to follow this  
JYW

Aerosoft Airbus / Thomas Ruth A330-200 Merge

Been working for days on a merge, to get the Aerosoft Airbus (A320/A321) VC and functionality, into the Thomas Ruth freeware A330-200 model.   After much pain, I have got results better than I expected.

The merge was done by placing the Thomas Ruth A330 model, into the Aerosoft A321 IAE aircraft configuration. This worked far better than doing things the other way around (AS VC into the TR A330 aircraft).   Work was needed to reset contact points, and I also reconfigured the fuel capacity - not to exact A330 specs, as this compromized the flight model too much - but I've got a range somewhere in between an A321 and a A330-200. :wink:    Similarly, using exact A330 weights and payloads was too much of a stretch, so another compromise there, but with some minor tweaking of jet thrust scaling, it's performing really well.    I also tweaked the flight tuning, to make the elevator and aileron responses slower and "heavier".

Lastly, there was that "A330-200" placard on the left side of the MIP, as you can see in the 2nd screenshot - completely unrealistic, but it just gives more of a sense / reminder that you're flying the A330, despite being in an A321 VC.    :smile:

Next up will be putting a more suitable sound pack in.

2016-510.jpg

2016-511.jpg

I know there may be some interest in my sharing what was required to do this, but there are problems with that. Mainly just that I haven't kept a good track of all the changes made to get to the final result! But also, with regards to copyright issues regarding both authors. But I may try to write a guide on how it was done, which I may then be able to share.

:smile:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

As tempting as it sounds to know how to do this, I'll take the legal route and wait for Aerosoft's release of the A330.  I know that Tom Ruth frequents the Aerosoft forums and provides a lot of great input.  I wouldn't be surprised if he has a hand in the development of the A330 for Aerosoft.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

As tempting as it sounds to know how to do this, I'll take the legal route and wait for Aerosoft's release of the A330.

I don't believe there is anything "not legal" about pointing some legally owned files to other files, for personal use - when no content is being shared or distributed.

I can't see that it's any less legal than making some tweaks to an aircraft's .CFG file for one's own personal use.

And of course, it will be no substitute for the Aerosoft A330, which I eagerly look forward to.  Just a fun project, to see if I could do it, more than anything else.

I know that Tom Ruth frequents the Aerosoft forums and provides a lot of great input. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a hand in the development of the A330 for Aerosoft.

Yes, I certainly hope he has! :smile:

Thanks,

• Upvote 1

Bill

I don't believe there is anything "not legal" about pointing some legally owned files to other files, for personal use - when no content is being shared or distributed.

I can't see that it's any less legal than making some tweaks to an aircraft's .CFG file for one's own personal use.

And of course, it will be no substitute for the Aerosoft A330, which I eagerly look forward to.  Just a fun project, to see if I could do it, more than anything else.

Yes, I certainly hope he has! :smile:

Thanks,

Performing adjustments, additions and such to one's cfg file is not illegal, in fact it is encouraged by the sim developers like MS and LM.  Have you ever delved into the SDK?

EULA's can differ from one dev to another.  This isn't the Aerosoft forum, so I doubt anyone would jump down your throat for proposing what you did and I am not here to judge either.  Your statement about copyrights and owners was vague, but I suspect you were alluding to the fact that you feel it isn't illegal to pull code from one payware product and dump it into a freeware product and that is your choice and opinion.  Bringing it to the forum though could be frowned upon, but again, I am not hear to judge and if anything, just providing some "devil's advocacy".

Oh, I almost forgot to put something else into perspective.  We don't own the product, we buy the right to use such products in our sim.  Come to think of it. we don't own the sims either.

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Yet again, I feel a sense of balance is being lost here.  For a post purportedly "not judging", there's a lot of content in your message that reads quite judgementally to me, in terms of a light-hearted post showing an aircraft / VC merge.

I wasn't 'proposing' that anyone do what I did, although granted, I suggested that I may try to offer a guide to others.   This was purely because I created a similar guide for users to place the Flight 1 GTN750 into the Orbx Lancair, and received over a hundred PMs from fellow simmers asking if I could share the mod.

I will retract the offer to create such a guide, and the above post can be seen as nothing more than one man's tinkering with legally bought products - on his own PC, for his own amusement only,

The moderators of AVSIM, who I respect sincerely, can delete this thread if it's deemed inappropriate.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bill

Please re-read what I wrote.  I never made statements condemning anything (mere opinion).  Again, I was merely providing another viewpoint.  Just because you didn't like what I had to say, doesn't make what I said right or wrong nor does it cast what you did in a good or bad light.  I know from experience, that there is an air of sensitivity around certain things being said or done at this website.

I wouldn't mind if you were able to make a quick video guide on how to make the engines compatible to the fmgs and correcting fuel figures aerodynamics. I think we are all just to eager to start flying A330 long haul that for I wouldn't flying like this until the aerosoft product comes out. 

im going to bump this one

has anyone managed to merge the thomas ruth 330-200 with the new aerosoft 330 ?

14ppkc-6.png

On 12/27/2019 at 7:30 AM, fluffyflops said:

im going to bump this one

has anyone managed to merge the thomas ruth 330-200 with the new aerosoft 330 ?

I have, quite successfully as well. I will not share directions or the like here since I'm a little unclear on the legality of actively promoting such merges, but instructions on merging aircraft in general can be found in various other online forums.