Sign in to follow this  
Pochi

DSF extension option, what is it?

Hi there,

Totally new to Xplane, I am looking for some explanation about what the DSF extension option do in Xplane 10?

Thanks for your help,

Pierre

Thank you for the link!

Does it seem doable to activate this option with 8GO of RAM? Because the article mentions a need for big amount of RAM but my understanding is that Xplane can use only 4GO. Am I right?

Pierre

• Upvote 1

X-Plane can use whatever your system has to offer, as long as you use the 64bit version.

8GB can be a stretch when using extended DSFs, but that also depends on your rendering options and the scenery. When also using the HD mesh and high-ish rendering options, I would recommend 16GB to be on the safe side. I just upgraded to 32GB because I also use the UHD meshes for some areas.

Hi again,

I would like to know how can I check how much ram is used by Xplane in game?

Pierre

Nope, that's just the memory occupied by the textures. To know how much memory it is occupying you need to use some external tools, like GPU-Z, MSI Afterburner.

Thanks for the fast answers! My understanding was that the memory usage at the bottom of rendering settings is about VRAM?

I will try using GPU-Z but we are speaking of RAM not VRAM right?

Pierre

Thanks for the fast answers! My understanding was that the memory usage at the bottom of rendering settings is about VRAM?

Pierre

Correct the displayed XP memory is VRAM usage but that is only what is being used by XP itself and doesn't count other loaded textures so it's never correct. It is RAM that will be affected, get HWinfo64, tons of information there.

Pierre

It's only part of the VRAM occupied by the current textures resolution ... basically guesstimate = not useful at all, the real VRAM used can be even 3 times that number.. so ignore it and use Afterburner.

MSI Afterburner will also give the RAM usage, and many other parameters, like CPU usage, temperatures.. etc.