Sign in to follow this  
Pochi

GTX970 and anti aliasing

Hello,

I am struggling to find the good setting of anti aliasing that works best with my card.

I am using HDR rendering (can't go without it) and 4x SSAA + FXAA currently. I am quite happy with the look, but, I still have shimmering on some objects (airport antenna etc) in the far distance.

I wonder if there is a way to improve anti aliasing a bit more to get read of these? I read somewhere that I may set Nvidia Inspector to "Enhanced In Game AA" and add some more AA. Does anyone tried it?

I would be great if GTX970 may share here their experience regarding AA in Xplane 10.

Best regards,

Pierre

Pierre,

yes, there are answers, but at a cost. Using nVidia Inspector, you cango to the X-Plane entry, choose Enhance, and set antialiasing to 2X or 4X SGSS--Sparse Grid SuperSampling. Then, in XP, adjust antaliasiang to 2x or 4x SSAA--matching the transparency multiplier you just set in NI. Your shimmers will vanish. However, so may your performance, especially in clouds, which generally take more than one rendering pass.

I found I can use 2x SGSS and 2x SSAA with reasonable performance, but that's with a GTX-980ti, so your results may vary. One factor slowing me down is I'm running 4K, I'd bet that at 1440, you might get away with 4x SGSS.

Best,

Marshall

Pierre,

yes, there are answers, but at a cost. Using nVidia Inspector, you cango to the X-Plane entry, choose Enhance, and set antialiasing to 2X or 4X SGSS--Sparse Grid SuperSampling. Then, in XP, adjust antaliasiang to 2x or 4x SSAA--matching the transparency multiplier you just set in NI. Your shimmers will vanish. However, so may your performance, especially in clouds, which generally take more than one rendering pass.

I found I can use 2x SGSS and 2x SSAA with reasonable performance, but that's with a GTX-980ti, so your results may vary. One factor slowing me down is I'm running 4K, I'd bet that at 1440, you might get away with 4x SGSS.

Best,

Marshall

Why using NI and not the control panel? (Antialiasing transparency: 2x/4x supersampling) ... any specific reason?

SGSSAA is not natively supported by NVIDIA Drivers / CP. You need NI to hack into the driver and enable SGSSAA, which is a differend method than just SSAA.

Good read:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1250100/nvidia-sparse-grid-supersampling

Flo

Pierre,

Best,

Marshall

Would you mind to share your complete NI settings? I'd like to gice it a go but I've no idea about the "driver bit" thing mentioned in the above linked instruction.

Thanks in advance

Flo

Right.. i was convinced that it was SGSAA in the drivers... anyway I tested it, and didn't had good results: w2xp were shimmering all the way .. even with 4xsgss and 8xAA ... my solution: remove that w2xp that was driving me crazy by 2 days already! :D

If it's an option, make the move to 4K. All your AA issues will be history. I actually get better performance at 4K then 1080p because I've been able to turn off all the filtering.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

4K is the screen resolution not the pixel density. A 34" monitor is already (almost) 4K... it would be different if you play on a 24" .. but I would never play a flight sim on a such small monitor. Another matter is about the TV's... considering the size, you gonna face the same issue with the pixel density.

Fine - then the OP can go to a 1/4 size screen. Either way, it'll solve the AA issues. :smile:

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Right.. i was convinced that it was SGSAA in the drivers... anyway I tested it, and didn't had good results: w2xp were shimmering all the way .. even with 4xsgss and 8xAA ... my solution: remove that w2xp that was driving me crazy by 2 days already! :D

Keep in mind that the SGSS and MSAA multipliers should match - set both to 2x or both to 4x.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

I found I can use 2x SGSS and 2x SSAA with reasonable performance

Great tip Marshall, did not know I could use these settings while using HDR, I will definitely try it when I get home.

I'm on a 970/24" monitor so performance may not be an issue.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Thank you very much for all your advices! I am going to try that on the weekend and report back my results.

Best regards,

Pierre

I haven't tested the suggestion by Marshall, but I'm running a 970 with HDR on with 4xSSA + FXAA and this already has a hard effect on my GPU going through clouds. I darent think about adding anything in NI.

If you use 4xSGSS then you need to set your in-game to 4xSSAA, in my experience.

If you set 4x and 8x, or 2x and 4x, for example, the two "beat" against each other, creating the same moire and shimmering you're trying to prevent.

Best,

Marshall

Continued...

So try 2xSGSS and 2xSSAA in XP

Yup, I tried with both 2x and 4x on both AA and SGSS (to also check the performance) ...without good results, but in the end since w2xp were lowering my fps too much, get rid of it, has been a relief. :)

I hope the 10.50 will introduce some better object distribution/management, so we don't "need" it anymore.

Well, I had time to try your advices regarding enhancing AA, and it seems I get no results just like Npole above. Whatever settings I tried, there was no visual change in the game. The fact is that I am not sure I am fighting shimmering anymore (see my post : Autogen objects flickering). It rather seems to be a problem of displaying autogen objects...

So, I am stuck with 4 x SSAA + FXAA for the moment trying to understand why my autogen is flickering at far distance.

May I ask what Nvidia Driver version are you using with GTX970 for those whi run this GPU?

Pierre