Sign in to follow this  
AviatorMoser

A Small Update on FreeMeshX - USA

Daniel, wondering when you have time with your Phd studies and all to provide an update? Thank you

Nothing substantial yet. PhD business, summer trips, and more PhD business! I need to get the 1.07 patch finalized. It's already late!

Well, I was going to create an account, but apparently AVSIM has kept my account around for all these years.  I just recently picked back up FSX and went looking for scenery.  Just found your work here, Daniel.  Very nice and much appreciated.  Logged in for the firs time in years just to say so.  Thanks man!  Really looking forward to this US mesh.

I was hoping for this to pop up around the release of the new NA LC, that would have been a fantastic combo :)

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Well, I was going to create an account, but apparently AVSIM has kept my account around for all these years.  I just recently picked back up FSX and went looking for scenery.  Just found your work here, Daniel.  Very nice and much appreciated.  Logged in for the firs time in years just to say so.  Thanks man!  Really looking forward to this US mesh.

Thanks!

I was hoping for this to pop up around the release of the new NA LC, that would have been a fantastic combo :)

I knooooooow. Things are going too slowly because of my PhD work. I really don't like to keep people waiting. I need another vacation lol!

You can find some cheap U.S. meshes out there (I think LCSims has a nice one for $20). That would probably go nice with the landclass.

You can find some cheap U.S. meshes out there (I think LCSims has a nice one for $20). That would probably go nice with the landclass.

Another nice freeware USA mesh can be found here: http://www.ofxsimulation.com/#!freeware-products/snh7f 

I have had a good experience with it. 

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

Another nice freeware USA mesh can be found here: http://www.ofxsimulation.com/#!freeware-products/snh7f 

Wow its posted now - it was payware and I purchased it - they decided to post it as freeware but never did - guess its good to go now - its very good mesh - thanks for heads up 

Rich Sennett

Wow its posted now - it was payware and I purchased it - they decided to post it as freeware but never did - guess its good to go now - its very good mesh - thanks for heads up 

Yeah, its still for sale on SimMarket for $14.50 USD. Even so, it is a very reasonable price to support the developer. 

• Upvote 1

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

My only question is how they squeezed a 5 m mesh into only 3.1 GB. It almost seems impossible to me.

Just a SINGLE 5 deg latitude by 5 deg longitude USA tile at 10 m resolution is about 1.5 GB! Two of those, which would only cover a small portion of Texas, would be about equal in size. Does it actually cover the entire USA or select mountain ranges?

My only question is how they squeezed a 5 m mesh into only 3.1 GB. It almost seems impossible to me.

Just a SINGLE 5 deg latitude by 5 deg longitude USA tile at 10 m resolution is about 1.5 GB! Two of those, which would only cover a small portion of Texas, would be about equal in size. Does it actually cover the entire USA or select mountain ranges?

Not sure but I have compared it to FSGENESIS and it was a better representation - I need to compare to freemesh - after the new freemesh USA comes out OFX will go in the archives

Rich Sennett

It comes as a .rar file if that makes any difference?

Thanks for the heads up!!!

Eric 

I need to compare to freemesh - after the new freemesh USA comes out OFX will go in the archives

Yeah, I just need to actually finish it! Oh, only if I had won the Powerball and had no other obligations in life. Development would go a lot quicker, I'd say :)

Still improving my get-rid-of-all-airport-plateaus technique which is the final hurdle. It needs to work perfectly about 12,000 airports, and right now it messes up badly for some of them.

Yeah, I just need to actually finish it! Oh, only if I had won the Powerball and had no other obligations in life. Development would go a lot quicker, I'd say :)

Still improving my get-rid-of-all-airport-plateaus technique which is the final hurdle. It needs to work perfectly about 12,000 airports, and right now it messes up badly for some of them.

Yup every day life can really take its toll - good luck with project looks like it will be awesome

Rich Sennett

I have given up on mesh products for awhile now since there always seems to be some problems with uneven airport elevation and plateaus. The last one I used was FS Pilot Global, and then FS Pilot 2010 FTX. 

Seems like mesh is good for areas with uneven terrain like mountains and won't do much to flat areas. I might come back to another mesh product when this one is released. But will it only cover a small portion of the USA?

I'm looking for something global. WIll Free Mesh eventually be a global mesh product?

In the meantime, what's a good global mesh product for P3D with good results and quality that will work well with FTX Global products.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Hi Daniel

Thanks for taking the time to provide such a comprehensive and professional update. It's a lot more than many commercial vendors provide.

It's clearly going to be superb when completed, in the meantime best of luck with your endeavours.

cheers

Ian 

Ian S

38.jpg

Thanks for the good news. Great work!

Troy Kemp

Win 11 64 Pro on 1TB nvme + 500GB ssd  / P3Dv5.3+ on 1TB nvme+ 250GB with P3D addons / MS2020 2TB nvme /I9 13900K@ 5.8ghz / 32GB DDR4 3600mhz / MSI MPG Z690 DDR4 with wifi / RTX 4090FE