Sign in to follow this  
AviatorMoser

A Small Update on FreeMeshX - USA

I have given up on mesh products for awhile now since there always seems to be some problems with uneven airport elevation and plateaus. The last one I used was FS Pilot Global, and then FS Pilot 2010 FTX. 

Seems like mesh is good for areas with uneven terrain like mountains and won't do much to flat areas. I might come back to another mesh product when this one is released. But will it only cover a small portion of the USA?

I'm looking for something global. WIll Free Mesh eventually be a global mesh product?

In the meantime, what's a good global mesh product for P3D with good results and quality that will work well with FTX Global products.

FreeMeshX is already a an excellent global mesh product, bar North America.

Ian S

38.jpg

FreeMeshX is already a an excellent global mesh product, bar North America.

Yeah, if you are looking to bring the rest of the world to the level of detail the stock USA mesh already enjoys, then that's the whole point of FreeMeshX Global.

So FMX Globlal is already out? Or will that be after the US version?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Does this product contain newer data and improvements over FSGlobal FTX 2010 and FSgenesis usa mesh? 

Evan Hardin 

Does this product contain newer data and improvements over FSGlobal FTX 2010 and FSgenesis usa mesh? 

Check out the website Dan provided above.  He mentions that the data used is the newer SRTM 3.0 data released by NASA in 2014.

Specifically, in the link here

"The motivation for this project started from the lack of a comprehensive global terrain mesh replacement that did not involve forking over hard earned cash. FS Global 2010 is a great project, but it costs well over 50 USD and uses mainly older SRTM2 90-m downscaled to 76-m resolution. FSGenesis has a 20 USD global terrain mesh, but like FS Global 2010, it uses mainly older SRTM2 90-m data downscaled to LOD9."

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

Check out the website Dan provided above.  He mentions that the data used is the newer SRTM 3.0 data released by NASA in 2014.

Specifically, in the link here

"The motivation for this project started from the lack of a comprehensive global terrain mesh replacement that did not involve forking over hard earned cash. FS Global 2010 is a great project, but it costs well over 50 USD and uses mainly older SRTM2 90-m downscaled to 76-m resolution. FSGenesis has a 20 USD global terrain mesh, but like FS Global 2010, it uses mainly older SRTM2 90-m data downscaled to LOD9."

Thanks. I own both FS global 2010 and fsgenesis usa. I will be using this mesh with fsgenesis usa until he comes out with the us update. 

Evan Hardin 

Are there any negatives to be aware of running FreeMeshX like increased VAS usage or frame rate hits or is it entirely based on your settings and you'll notice no difference from the default mesh other than improved resolution?

Your VAS usage may go up by a whole 10 or so megabytes (or so I've seen). The effects on VAS are negligible from what I've seen. Your frame rate won't take a hit either. The only real detriment to performance is that it takes longer to load and stream the mesh from your HDD, but this shouldn't be an issue unless your LOD_Radius is set to 8.5 or higher.

I am flying in the USA a lot and would like more detailed mesh. Should I wait around for the FreeMeshX USA that might be coming soon? If I can help it I would rather not spend money on another product because the rest of the world has great detail now thanks to your product.

On 5/4/2017 at 8:20 AM, 777200lrf said:

I am flying in the USA a lot and would like more detailed mesh. Should I wait around for the FreeMeshX USA that might be coming soon? If I can help it I would rather not spend money on another product because the rest of the world has great detail now thanks to your product.

I don't envision a release soon, but rather later. Your best option if you want sooner than later would be Toposim. Justin has the USA bundled for around $30. It's not free and you may run into airport plateaus that I'm trying to avoid, but it's probably your best bet.

Right now, there's just one roadblock due to my limited programming capabilities. Once I can surpass it, then I'm homeward bound.

9 hours ago, AviatorMoser said:

I don't envision a release soon, but rather later. Your best option if you want sooner than later would be Toposim. Justin has the USA bundled for around $30. It's not free and you may run into airport plateaus that I'm trying to avoid, but it's probably your best bet.

Right now, there's just one roadblock due to my limited programming capabilities. Once I can surpass it, then I'm homeward bound.

Is that Justin the Justin that created FsGenesis long ago? I have not heard of Toposim before. Do you recommend it as the best pay option? Thank you.

On 5/6/2017 at 10:42 PM, 777200lrf said:

Is that Justin the Justin that created FsGenesis long ago? I have not heard of Toposim before. Do you recommend it as the best pay option? Thank you.

Same fellow. It probably is your best pay option. I would go ahead and investigate that option. Once I have gotten where I need to be, I'll personally let you know when FreeMeshX - USA is close to release if you ever do want to try it by then :)

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, AviatorMoser said:

Same fellow. It probably is your best pay option. I would go ahead and investigate that option. Once I have gotten where I need to be, I'll personally let you know when FreeMeshX - USA is close to release if you ever do want to try it by then :)

I would love to do that, that would be great! Thanks. I am pretty good at finding bugs also if you need any extra testers. I am looking at Justin's website and see that some of his mesh is 10m for North America. Is some of his world mesh a higher resolution than yours? Or just North America and I should buy that? Thank you.

Regarding a more detailed mesh of the USA, I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned this 5 metre freeware example from OFX.

http://www.rikoooo.com/downloads/viewdownload/68/815

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)