Sign in to follow this  
AviatorMoser

A Small Update on FreeMeshX - USA

Released it to the first batch of testers (just a couple of close folks) of the entire CONUS. They liked the improvements to the terrain, but also stated the airport plateaus were distracting and immersion killing, and took away from the experience. I was afraid of that evaluation.....sigh. It's why I haven't released in the past. Now it's making me reconsider whether it's worth it or I should I keep trying to work on my solution in the meantime.

If this is diving too deep amd you don't wish to answer, I certainly understand.  Is anyone on your beta team utilizing FTX Global and Vector with the airport elevation correction tool?  From what I understand, that tool is specifically used to correct airports to a more appropriate mesh.  It would of course be restrictive to those with the vector product.

10 hours ago, AviatorMoser said:

They liked the improvements to the terrain, but also stated the airport plateaus were distracting and immersion killing, and took away from the experience. I was afraid of that evaluation.....sigh. It's why I haven't released in the past. Now it's making me reconsider whether it's worth it or I should I keep trying to work on my solution in the meantime.

Well, to be frank, the plateaus aren't really FreeMeshX's fault in the first place.

Personally, I'd much prefer an accurate mesh with some anomalies around problematic airport flattens over no mesh and a troubled developer! :ohmy:

And, like medx421 mentions, there is AEC.

Really exciting news about the beta, looking forward to release!

- Jens Peter "Penz" Pedersen

On 6/13/2017 at 9:42 AM, gamer19 said:

Thanks for your kind words Daniel. I actually still have FSX, pre-steam version. And I was thinking myself to re-activate it too. I butcher that game for sake of P3D, cuz I was thinking I won't really need it anymore but here I am now... back to the roots you may say. =/

Maybe I'll open a topic on avsim about searching something a little bit better than my 770 was. 980 or 1060 although I'm a bit short with money now. If nothing else I've realize how many great old games I have sitting forgotten on my hard drives. :senang::sedih:

Some will scoff, but the 960 TI 4gig will suffice. I use one with all the usual fluff running, unlimited frames - stormy day, avg. 38 frames, avg settings

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

On 6/26/2017 at 2:05 AM, medx421 said:

Been a quiet week in here since the potential project questioning news 😕

I've just spent the whole week moving to a new place. Blah! I hate moving. I don't have regular access to the Internet yet.

I have the CONUS essentially completed. But IDK if I want to send it out for public consumption based on the recommendations of some of the testers. They've encouraged me to keep working on the plateau problem, and I've made great progress on the solution the past few weeks.

But I know some of you don't really mind the issue. So I'm teetering on sending the CONUS installers for those who sign up on an e-mail list. I guess I can call it a closed beta! Give me a few more days to think this through!

Thank you for the patience and the support guys!

• Upvote 3

oh, we are not going to sneak off, we will still be here :biggrin:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

On 7/5/2017 at 7:20 AM, AviatorMoser said:

I've just spent the whole week moving to a new place. Blah! I hate moving. I don't have regular access to the Internet yet.

I have the CONUS essentially completed. But IDK if I want to send it out for public consumption based on the recommendations of some of the testers. They've encouraged me to keep working on the plateau problem, and I've made great progress on the solution the past few weeks.

But I know some of you don't really mind the issue. So I'm teetering on sending the CONUS installers for those who sign up on an e-mail list. I guess I can call it a closed beta! Give me a few more days to think this through!

Thank you for the patience and the support guys!

Can you post some example screenshots of plateaus? It may not be that bad and it's better than nothing in my opinion. I am trying to hold off buying a mesh product so I can buy a couple airports this summer

9 hours ago, 777200lrf said:

Can you post some example screenshots of plateaus? It may not be that bad and it's better than nothing in my opinion. I am trying to hold off buying a mesh product so I can buy a couple airports this summer

Yeah, I am too holding off on the purchase of any payware products. Daniel, if you make a decision to release this to the mailing list members, I'll gladly sign up for it. 

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

I'll make an announcement tomorrow about the closed beta sign-ups. Just got my access to the Internet today. Need to double-check things and make sure the download process is ready to go.

• Upvote 3

Excellent. Thank you sir.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

This will be a new downloading system and there will be an installer this time. The other parts of the world are fully updated with their own installers, but they are not updated uploaded yet. I'll try to get those uploaded this weekend.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, AviatorMoser said:

This will be a new downloading system and there will be an installer this time. The other parts of the world are fully updated with their own installers, but they are not updated uploaded yet. I'll try to get those uploaded this weekend.

Great. I lived with plateaus when I was a FSGenesis Galaxy member for over a decade. Their high quality mesh sometimes 5m would often have airports sit on terrain, but that is a small price to pay, and more addon developers are blending a mesh product with their scenery these days anyway. I am flying fedex 777 flights mostly in America and would love a great mesh, looking forward to release any time you can.