Sign in to follow this  
toriu

What is your total number of scenery addons in FSX

Are they all activated inside the scenery.cfg? Or do you only activate the ones you need?

I am asking, because I normally only activate the airports I fly out and where I land and I am curious if having all of them activated makes a difference in performance or OOM?

Or does FSX (P3D in my case) only load the ones I am close to?

None at all...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Are they all activated inside the scenery.cfg? Or do you only activate the ones you need?

I am asking, because I normally only activate the airports I fly out and where I land and I am curious if having all of them activated makes a difference in performance or OOM?

Yes. However photo scenery will always load even from the other side of the world.

ZORAN

One of my rare OOMs (i keep texture_max_load at 2048 and opt for lower resolution textures at airports when able) was on a 773 flight from SBGL to LSZH. Dispatch had me pass right over LPPT, LEBL and LSGG, which I all own and hadn't deactivated prior to takeoff. Didn't even make it down to the runway...

I actually have a custom map in Google maps where I mark all airports that I own or look at purchasing in the future: Apparently I own 58 airports (some freeware, most payware) and have my eyes on 50+ more airports. But I dont have time to regularly visit my existing airports, so instead of buying more airports I'm probably going to add a Realair Turbine Duke to my hangar in the near future.

@toriu: 592 is an insane number by the way, that must be the totality of all addon airports ever published for FSX, isn't it?

Yes. However photo scenery will always load even from the other side of the world.

That makes no sense at all.. Using just *ONE* state of MSE as an example, which is say 20/30GB. If it loaded it all you would get an OOM almost immediately...

That makes no sense at all.. Using just *ONE* state of MSE as an example, which is say 20/30GB. If it loaded it all you would get an OOM almost immediately...

Sorry Can you clarify ? are you saying you cant fly across one state without an OOM?

ZORAN

@ domae001, yes I know it's a bit crazy and I blame the talented guys that are turning out free airports, most with such good quality I can't resist.

I have 6 paid for airports,

1 to 403 are free airports,

404 to 472 are FTX/ORBX,

473 to 593 are the FSX Base files est..

@ Labbi85, they are all active in the scenery cfg. It doesn't seem to make any difference.

fdc_pfe_supporter.jpg

Sorry Can you clarify ? are you saying you cant fly across one state without an OOM?

No, not saying that at all, quite the opposite.

He asked if FSX will only load the sceneries that are close to his position, and you said: "Yes. However photo scenery will always load even from the other side of the world."

And I'm saying that makes no sense and cannot be right, because it implies FSX will load any and all photo scenery that is in your scenery library and that cannot be, as even with just 1 state as example, it's larger than your computers total RAM, it couldn't ever load all photo scenery.

Mine is 592.

430+ add-on layers, here. And apart from FS Global which is, like it says, global, they are all for Europe -- well "greater Europe", extending to the Azores, Madeira, Canaries, and the North African and Middle Eastern Mediterranean.

Nearly all payware airports, but some of the better quality freeware too.

All enabled all the time except where I have alternatives -- like UK2000 Heathrow and Aerosoft Heathrow. I prefer the UK2000 one (but it's close). The Aerosoft one gives me better frame rates, though, especially with realistic traffic levels (MT6 and UT2), so, until I upgrade to a PC capable of 5GHz I am using the Aerosoft one.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen