Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Why no effects with AI aircraft like contrails.

What about this setting, do you have it enabled or disabled?

Just trying to understand why some see the contrails and other don't. One thing of course is the temp needs to be below -30C.

PrecipitFX%20Options.JPG

Just tried this out and works as advertised, no more need to move the folder before changing the effects - very nice!

Did that fix the contrails issue?  Last night when I was flying the temp at FL390  was -29 C. Will have to check that again.   

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Did that fix the contrails issue?  Last night when I was flying the temp at FL390  was -29 C. Will have to check that again.   

I'm not sure if that setting is important and what exactly it does, hence my question to Rob. I checked the documentation but it didn't say anything more than what is already in the descriptive text in the UI.

Just completed a short hop from ESSA-EETN but didn't have any traffic around me at the correct altitude/temp required for seeing contrails but will do more testing. Below is a quote from the documentation what is required to see the contrails.

"Our enhanced contrails work when the temperature is below -30*C notwithstanding of the air saturation."

Richard Åsberg

I finally saw a contrail today. I flew in Alaska, SAT temp -56  TAT -33. I am not sure if the TAT is what the contrails are determined by or the outside air temp (SAT) . Will have to check further. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

That's great news Bob!

I have yet to see some but I keep hoping :wink:

Richard Åsberg

I see them almost every flight ... wondering if perhaps you're not getting correct temps > 27,000 ft?

I do NOT have the Override existing settings enabled ... this will overwrite any custom effects for "some" aircraft that already have defined effects (thinking like A2A), it would be nice to know what specific aircraft are "excluded" or "included" with this setting.

Are you folks using ASN for weather?  I use ASN most of the time and haven't tested with setting up my own weather ... have you gents tried setting up your own weather layers just to see if it's working?

Cheers, Rob.

That's a good idea Rob. I'll keep my eyes open for the temp on next flight.

Richard Åsberg

After installing PrecipitFX, most of my WOAI aircrafts lost contrails, just few of them have.

Before easily i could spot contrails, now almost not possible.

https://goo.gl/photos/ZziJrLjag9qHA7tY7

I use ASN all the time. I can see temps on the NGX FMC and they seem proper. 

I also use ASN.

Today i was flying FL410 and plane below me was at FL390.

Surely on FL390 contrails are visible.

Artur 

I also use ASN.

There is something that is not right with PreciptFX and AI. I have tried and checked everything for weeks. 

I also use ASN.

Did you check the temp?

Looking in the documentation for PrecipitFX the temp needs to be below -30C for contrails to be seen (see post #17).

There is something that is not right with PreciptFX and AI. I have tried and checked everything for weeks. 

Did you get any answer from the devs of PrecipitFX yet because IIRC you also asked them about this issue?

Richard Åsberg

I did not remember OAT, but TAT was -21 C, so i assume conditions were suitable for contrails.

Artur 

I did not remember OAT, but TAT was -21 C, so i assume conditions were suitable for contrails.

I always had a hard time fully understanding the difference between all different ways of expressing the temperature but -21C obviously isn't below -30C so that would explain why you didn't see any contrails.

On the other hand maybe the temp in the documentation isn't expressed as TAT. Not really sure what exactly "...-30*C notwithstanding of the air saturation" means.

Richard Åsberg

Created a post to see if they can make some weather themes to help with all of this confusion - well see hope they can

Rich Sennett

I always had a hard time fully understanding the difference between all different ways of expressing the temperature but -21C obviously isn't below -30C so that would explain why you didn't see any contrails.

On the other hand maybe the temp in the documentation isn't expressed as TAT. Not really sure what exactly "...-30*C notwithstanding of the air saturation" means.

SAT temp which is shown on page 2 of the progress on the 737 FMC is the actual outside air temp, which is what PreciptFX uses according to a post by the developer some months ago, on one of the many threads on missing contrails on AI. That outside temp has to be lower than 31 degrees which I found last night. TAT is the temp reading on the nav display on the 737, and is a higher reading because of the airc compression at the pitot tube. There is a formula to convert the outside air temp to the higher TAT depending on airspeed. The faster the aircraft is moving, the higher the TAT reading for a given outside temp.   Notwithstanding means the same as saying, despite the air saturation being not saturated enough, at that temp or lower you should see contrails anyway. 

http://www.avsim.com/topic/486117-no-aircraft-effects-after-vxfcentral/

Now I am wondering if this is the issue, where you have to be within a couple of miles of the AI to see the contrails. 

http://www.avsim.com/topic/466638-contrails-on-ai/