Sign in to follow this  
Cargostorm

Immersion factor: VR glasses or curved UHD/4K monitor

1. in a Oculus Rift or HTC Vive Virtual Reality glasses, or

2. in a curved G-sync 34'' 21:9 UHD IPS monitor such as Acer Predator X34 or the new Asus ROG PG348Q?

Well neither! If I had to choose between the two it would be option 2 for all the very obvious reasons you will find in all the discussions about the current state of the art in VR. But a 21:9 monitor this small is still a compromise, mostly in physical vertical size.

I would go with a 55" (-ish) 4K TV, assuming I had hardware capable of driving it. This will give a bigger picture while retaining enough resolution (dpi), a more natural FOV and while I would still use TrackIR with it, I would significantly reduce the pitch range since I wouldn't need to pan up and down to see the panel.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Lol, is that stuff about viewing distance still being pushed? With 4k sit as close as you want.

I agree it seems a bit exaggerated. I mean it might have mattered in the 90's when the pixels were approximately the size of a grown man's hand, but with today's high resolution displays I don't see the problem. For example, 640x480 on a 15" display (common in the 90's) is 53 PPI (pixels per inch)

1680x1050 on 22" is 90 ppi

2560x1440 on a 27" display is 109 ppi

3440x1440 (4K) at 34" is 109 ppi

With a large 4K TV, you're back at the 90's pixel density of 50-ish ppi, but you will almost certainly be sitting farther from a friggin' 50" TV than you would from a 15" blurry flickering CRT... This doesn't mean you have to place the TV at the opposite end of a 200 meter corridor or something. Just pull back the chair a bit, and push the screen forward. This has the advantage of making room for the keyboard, charts, notepads etc. between the yoke and monitor.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

I have read in older Nvidia posts from 2015 that there might be a fps impact when using G-sync in borderless windowed mode? Is this (still) a concern in P3D?

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

I have read in older Nvidia posts from 2015 that there might be a fps impact when using G-sync in borderless windowed mode? Is this (still) a concern in P3D?

Not anymore because Nvidia pimped the drivers to run G-sync in windowed or full screen mode.

ScreenShot05-12-16at06.12PM.jpg

tpewpb-6.png

Not anymore because Nvidia pimped the drivers to run G-sync in windowed or full screen mode.

What driver are you using? In 361.43, the "Set up G-Sync" entry seems not to appear. I do not intend to use drivers later than 361.43 for the reason that Rob outlined: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/934001/361-43-drivers-perform-best-for-lockheed-martins-prepar3d-v3-x-and-other-games-/?offset=7

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

What driver are you using?

365.10 and i have never had any problems, and i`m still on W7,  and running 4K DSR 144hz fps unlimited, no NI 16x and 8x inside p3d.

tpewpb-6.png

Just wanted to add: When I fly PMDG 777 and usw FS2CREW, I do not need the keyboard at all. only Joystick and Mouse.

The other stuff can be done via voice control.

So I guess for certain planes VR will be good. But for others with a lot of keyboard stuff to do not.

This video is interesting:

Just wanted to add: When I fly PMDG 777 and usw FS2CREW, I do not need the keyboard at all. only Joystick and Mouse.

The other stuff can be done via voice control.

So I guess for certain planes VR will be good. But for others with a lot of keyboard stuff to do not.

This video is interesting:

Good point. Fs2 crew used to its ultimate potential is very powerful. 

ZORAN

I went from a curved 48" 4K Samsung TV to a pair of Oculus Rift glasses and the FlyInside software and I won't go back to a 2D display again after experiencing what it's like to actually fly your aircraft rather than pretending by looking at a 2D display because that's what it feels like.

I've been using TrackIR for many years and even tried 3D back in the days but VR is a totally different beast...

Edited to add that I tried to go back to my 4K screen not only one time but twice both because of the rather low resolution in VR but also for some other reasons but it just wasn't any fun flying on a 2D display anymore. It felt meaningless.

Now I'm back in VR again and I'm getting more and more used to the resolution and found fixes and workarounds for the other issues I had so couldn't be more happy and will enjoy my VR equipment to the fullest until next generation is here.

Richard Åsberg

deleted (double post)

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Honestly, people who don't have substantial experience (more than just trying VR on a friend's set of VR glasses) in simming on BOTH a large screen (or triple monitor) and VR shouldn't participate in these kinds of threads. If you haven't experienced VR first hand, then you just don't know what you are talking about. Period. And then this is pretty useless for the OP. Making a judgment on VR just from reading articles is just crap. Sorry. 

The point is that no one can answer the OP's question. If you like VR is something you can only answer by trying it out yourself. It has some shortcomings but for some it is well worth the ten times better immersion. For other's it's not. And this is purely subjective.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

I have had my HTC Vive since june last year, and with Flyinside I simply cannot go back to simming on a flat screen. I'm too used to feeling like being inside the real cockpit now :)

Sure, I long for better resolution, and I'm sure it will come. For now, though, I have no problems adjusting by using camera control addons like OpusFSI to switch view points inside the cockpit to be able to read all the displays.

I used to sim with Nvidia Surround on 3 x 24" screens, and I've also tried TrackIR. I've simmed for about 15 years or so now, and absolutely nothing so far can compare with flying in Virtual Reality. My 2 cents.

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

Thanks for sharing Andreas and sounds like you had the same experience as many of us, once you tried VR it's very hard going back and enjoy flying on a 2D display again.

Richard Åsberg

Despite how bad the resolution is in Oculus CV1, I find it very difficult going back to a 4K, 55" even though the graphics are superior to the VR. The immersion factor of VR is just incredible, literally like you are inside the cockpit.