Sign in to follow this  
Poppet

Downloading Blue-Ray Movies Legally In Full Blue-Ray Quality

Blu-ray isn't an uncompressed format. It's encoded as H264 or VC-1 which is a lossy format (compressed), not lossless (uncompressed).

A recent Blu-ray remastering of X-Files stated the uncompressed versions of each episode came out to around 480 GB (after editing). Far beyond the size of the Blu-ray disc it comes on. 

The Netflix or iTunes version is way too pixelated for my liking though.

I think that is due to it being recorded on 35mm . Well sure there is always compression even on recent digital films as you always shoot in higher quality to be futureproof for rerelease (eg. 4k in the last years and now starting 8k for first feature films with the proliferation of 4k tv).  Uncompressed may be the wrong word, lets call it a modest compression that is easy for the eye :)

I think there may be greater competition in the US than the UK. That will drive down prices.

I expect you're correct Ray.  I can walk into the local Best Buy (at least for the time being before they go the way of so many brick and mortar stores) and pick up older (2 years or more) Blu Rays for peanuts.  I realized a couple of weeks ago that I didn't have a Blu Ray of Minority Report, for example, and wanted to watch it again.  Picked it out of the bargain bin for $7.

To me it makes sense to rent rather than buy. I agree the quality is a lot better with the disc than streaming and as I have home cinema (DD5.1) and a 42" plasma I may consider renting.

I don't think I've ever rented a BRD, but I do occasionally go to the local library which has a fairly good BR collection available for checkout.  Typically I'll buy if it's something I know I'll watch more than once or twice.  I'll borrow or stream if I'm not sure.  Occasionally I'll go back and buy if I liked the movie enough that I want it as part of the permanent collection.

Scott

Scott,

The DVDs I bought were only films I wanted to watch more than once. They're still good films in DVD format of course.

I subscribe to Sky Movies so watch quite a few in HD albeit a couple of months after it's released on DVD/BRD. Plenty of time to chew over my options.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather