Sign in to follow this  
Nike Hercoles

Manual speed control during approach and landing

Hi everybody

Since the first weeks of flying with PMDG777 about two years ago I have had difficulty in holding speed manually in approach and landing. When I want to perform manual landing with manual throttle control  I have had difficulty in keeping airspeed steady something which I can do very well with 737NGX.  I tried both FSX own calibration as well as through FSUIPC but no success. 

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/flight-test-boeing-777-300er-fast-and-heavy-176585/

"[...]

The approach to Boeing Field was a hand-flown ILS with flaps set to "30", the full down position. The flight director bars allowed me to easily track both the localiser and glideslope, while the autothrottle maintained the 136kt target speed for the 206,840kg aircraft. Roll and pitch response on final were crisp, displaying none of the inertia one would expect of aircraft nearly as large as a Classic 747.

As would be done in the shorter 777-200, I disengaged the autothrottles and started the flare manoeuvre at 30ft radar altitude. The aircraft gently touched down 600m from the approach end and reverse thrust and moderate wheel braking were used to slow to taxi speed. During the taxi back to the ramp, I again found the cameras useful in keeping the nosewheel exactly on the taxiway centreline. Shutdown and post-flight procedures were straightforward and easily accomplished. [...]"

The 777 A/T is disengaged on final app in this examples, but some SOPs recommend it to be left engaged for manual landing.

I noticed the PMDG is very sensible ( in terms of A/T ) to varying winds and turbulence. But disengaging the A/T early in the approach under weather with variable / gusting winds is also problematic for me, and most of the time the speed protection is activated and the approach gone :-/

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I have had difficulty in keeping airspeed steady something which I can do very well with 737NGX.

You didn't mention your throttle controller type.  Assuming you have a quality controller then maybe you just need practice.  Keep in mind that there is no similarity between flying the NGX and 777.  First you have the shear weight and inertial. Laws of physics dictate that things happen slowly without the expenditure of significant forces.  Also the engines on the 777 are as big around as the NGX fuselage, the time it takes to change thrust is much different than the quick response in the NGX.

Practice with no or steady winds first.  You'll get it.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

the time it takes to change thrust is much different than the quick response in the NGX.

That's the key issue here!

Nike, whenever you do a thrust change, it must be either small or smooth. Don't make large and abrupt thrust changes because it's going to mess up your performance. The large engines of the 777 take their time to spool up/down.

I recommend you analyze the behavior of the AT first and then try to imitate it yourself second. 

Also please mind the particularity of the 777's FBW: You only trim for speed changes, nothing else. This means, if you intend to fly at a constant 200 knots indicated while performing turns, climbs and/or configuration changes, you mustn't touch those trim switches (provided you're properly trimmed before starting your maneuvers, of course).

That's a great read! Thanks for sharing, José :)

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

I have found the AP in low speed situations to be very bad at times. It could be interaction with ASN but I have the turbulence sliders half their default settings. The aircraft will descend or climb and overhit the target alt by sometimes 400-500ft then take long to get back. In low speeds on approach sometimes the speed dips to the red and the throttles do not respond by adding any thrust for more than 5 seconds. My joystick override setting in the fmc is set to "never" - David lee

The aircraft will descend or climb and overhit the target alt by sometimes 400-500ft then take long to get back. In low speeds on approach sometimes the speed dips to the red and the throttles do not respond by adding any thrust for more than 5 seconds.

It's true that the AFDS system (even the one of the real aircraft) is not perfect and it can "saw" the target altitude by 50ft up/down, maybe even 100ft... But 500? 

I've never had any such blatant issues with the PMDG 777 regarding altitude or airspeed control (speed into the red? no way) on part of the AP/AT. And I'm using default ASN settings (more conservative in my statement, right?)

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

It could be interaction with ASN but I have the turbulence sliders half their default settings.

All mine are at 25% scale.  Same as Jaime, rarely a need to intervene but of course your job is to do just that if things get ugly. Poor altitude control is most often poor speed management, the MCP SPD dial needs to be used during arrival and approach.

Dan Downs KCRP

All mine are at 25% scale.  Same as Jaime, rarely a need to intervene but of course your job is to do just that if things get ugly. Poor altitude control is most often poor speed management, the MCP SPD dial needs to be used during arrival and approach.

The aircraft is set to speed hold on approach when it ignores speed bleeding off and randomly overshoots target altitude high or low after takeoff and approach.- David Lee

The aircraft is set to speed hold on approach when it ignores speed bleeding off and randomly overshoots target altitude high or low after takeoff and approach.- David Lee

David

You are controlling  the speed by clicking on the speed button and then rolling the speed down and not letting the FMC control the speed down to a 170 knots? When on a STAR and APPROACH I select the runway to the scratch pad and then select it up on the FIX page and enter headings in both directions for the runway and enter /20 after one of the headings. For example, 04L at KJFK would be selected from the ACT RTE 1 or 2 page to the FIX INFO page as the FIX name. And then 045/20 and 225 would be entered under BRG/DIS. When I cross that 20 mile circle the maximum speed is 220 knots. I could be lower but I am never going to be above 220 knots when I am within 20 nm of the landing airport.

David

You are controlling  the speed by clicking on the speed button and then rolling the speed down and not letting the FMC control the speed down to a 170 knots? When on a STAR and APPROACH I select the runway to the scratch pad and then select it up on the FIX page and enter headings in both directions for the runway and enter /20 after one of the headings. For example, 04L at KJFK would be selected from the ACT RTE 1 or 2 page to the FIX INFO page as the FIX name. And then 045/20 and 225 would be entered under BRG/DIS. When I cross that 20 mile circle the maximum speed is 220 knots. I could be lower but I am never going to be above 220 knots when I am within 20 nm of the landing airport.

Not every airport allows you a leisurely descent. - David Lee

Tell ATC that for safety reasons that you will not accept the APPROACH or the requested speed.

No problems here. Its most likely a problem with your control setup, or you just need practice. The 777 handles wonderfully for me, that is when it is trimmed properly. Note that you can activate a "FBW" bug to see what speed the airplane is trimmed for, and you'll want your trimming to be precise in order for the airplane to behave properly. This is the only "quirk" of the pmdg 777 and has been discussed before. Keep in mind that its the European and Asian carriers that use the high level of automation all the time due to the zero to hero flight programs over there. On US carriers with a clear day and a manageable workload, its common to manually fly below 18000 feet, and even turn the FDs off(oh heaven forbid :D). Good luck and enjoy flying!

• Upvote 1

Aidan Hutchison

You can have higher descent rates at lower IAS, I don't see your point.

Dan Downs KCRP