Sign in to follow this  
Alpenman

P3d 3.2 Crash - NTDLL/MyTraffic?

Wow. In an effort to fix the NTDLL.dll error, I rolled back to Windows 7 from 10. That didn't work. Reinstalled everything, nope. Did a clean install of 7 again. Redid my overclock and have now once again installed V3.3.5. Now I learn, all I had to do was type three freakin' letters!

James McLees

Wow. In an effort to fix the NTDLL.dll error, I rolled back to Windows 7 from 10. That didn't work. Reinstalled everything, nope. Did a clean install of 7 again. Redid my overclock and have now once again installed V3.3.5. Now I learn, all I had to do was type three freakin' letters!

Although renaming the miltraffic.bgl works for many it is only one possible solution.  The AVSIM CTD Guide provides more solutions for the ntdll.dll error.  I have MyTrafficProfessional 6a installed and I have not had any issues with it even with the miltraffic.bgl enabled.  So not sure what is going on here. 

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Ntdll is code for "not sure what the hell happened!" :)

James McLees

Ntdll is code for "not sure what the hell happened!" :)

That's absolutely correct. The official P3d forum has well over 300 posts regarding this error. One cause that is often overlooked is an overclock that appears stable with various testing apps, but fails because P3d tends to bring out the worst  in people's computers. What's interesting is that I can't remember anyone reporting an ntdll.dll error with a plain "white bread" P3d installation (zero 3rd party add-ons and no OC). That's probably why LM staff rarely answer any posts regarding the error.

As to the My Traffic role in all this, Burkhard Renk has never been able to generate the ntdll.dll error on any of his test systems. Members of the beta team can, though, which leads me to believe that it isn't a MyTraffic error, at least not by itself. BTW, FSX also used to throw these errors and when one looked deeper into the error codes, there was generally corruption of the Windows heap.

I just completed a flight that I could not complete last week without getting the error. Was it a fresh install of everything that solved the problem, or the fact that I didn't have MT6 installed? The only way to know for sure is to now load MT6 and fly the route again. I'm on the fence about doing it though. This is the cleanest and leanest, and best running install I've ever had. That includes FSX, SP1, SP2, DX Fixer, P3D V1, V2, 3.1,3.2 and now 3.3.5. Yes I could live w/o MT6 and just use Vatsim or Pilotedge, but then there's that part of me...

James McLees

Okay, couldn't resist. I installed MT6 and P3D crashed the first time I loaded a scenario. Ntdll.dll to blame. I can't supply better proof that MT6 causes crashes of P3D 3.3.5 than that. Nothing else had changed.  Additionally, this was a full clean install of Windows 7. After changing the miltraffic.bgl to .old I was able to load a scenario. I'm going to load the exact same flight that I had trouble with last week (no trouble yesterday w/o MT6) and I'll come back with the results.

James McLees

Burk and I have had discussions about this error for the past year or so. He is a wizard when it come to AI traffic in FSX/P3d so I defer to his view of the error. He believes that as the sim is loaded up with a large number of AI flight plans, the bookkeeping algorithm that it uses gets corrupted in some manner. It's such an obscure bug, that neither Microsoft nor Lockheed Martin has shown interest in trying to investigate what is going on. Basically, the AI traffic code in P3d probably needs a good going over, especially since it is so hard on the CPU.

Burk and I have had discussions about this error for the past year or so.

Jay, does Burkhardt have or do you know of any AI diagnostic software that can be used to try to pinpoint the source of this ntdll.dll crash if the crash can be made repeatable? I suffered from this with both 5.4c and now 6.0a. Fortunately removing the military traffic cured it in both cases. In one instance it occurred just by trying to load a flight at KLAX. I ask because if I can make it that repeatable again I would like to try and pinpoint the flightplan or aircraft causing it. Without some expert direction I would not know how to find the offending file. One of the problems as I understand it is that Burkhardt has never experienced it on his systems.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

So far the fix has worked.

You're just lucky. It also works for me, but I can also run without the ntdll CTD by splitting the My T 6 military BGL into 7 smaller BGL files (by aircraft type) with AI Flight Planner 3. 

Jay, does Burkhardt have or do you know of any AI diagnostic software that can be used to try to pinpoint the source of this ntdll.dll crash if the crash can be made repeatable?

If you can make the CTD repeatable on your PC, you could attach a debugger utility to the P3d exe and then you could pinpoint the exact code that is causing the CTD. That's somewhat beyond most people's ability to do, though. Another option is to run the MS utility Process Monitor:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processmonitor.aspx

and then look at the Process Monitor log  just before the system  time when the CTD occurs.  Every time that I think that I have a reproducible situation in P3d that provokes the crash, it doesn't happen, so this approach has never worked for me.

Another option is to run the MS utility Process Monitor:

I've never used a debugger tool but have experimented with process monitor. If I can get the crash repeatable again I will see what I find with process monitor.

Thanks,

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

I hope that you find something. PM produces a large amount of output, even when excluding all active processes except P3d.

Thank u guys renaming the mt6 military fix it for me i was getting the ntd.dll when only 10 minutes to arrive at kmce on active sky16 first scenario at stock cpu clocks i knew it was mt6 after i turn off mt6 i could finish the scenerio just fine..

Renaming the military package to passive didnt do the trick. I even waited 3 hours before beginning a flight, and then during climb, p3d crashed to desktop 4 hours after i opened it. Same error when I looked into the event log. 

This pertains to P3DV3.2.  What version do you have?

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10