Sign in to follow this  
Ron Attwood

Attenzione! Giro d'Italia, seconda parte

Gather round everyone. (Best Capt. Mainwaring voice)

Our trip continues, for those still with us, to Geneva. Stopping at Sestri(LIMJ), Aeritalia(LIMA), Aosta(LIMW) for a spot of great skiing. Next stop Sion and finally our destination Geneva. Where we will hand over our historic aircraft to Swiss pilots who will ferry them to the Schweizerisches Militärmuseum Full near Zurich.

As a special treat I've laid on a selection of light aircraft to choose from (RV7 for me) to fly to Courchevel where I've booked a table at the Chabichou restaurant.

Chabichou25_3566656b.jpg

You can stay over if you wish, but at your own expense!

Rates

Buona fortuna

Oh and as I got told off last week, starting at 1800hrs Zulu. Take off at 7am local.

Flight Plan

N.B. Although the plan shows straight lines it will be prudent to keep an eye out for alps and go round them where possible. :cool:

How long does it take for 'smug' to wear off after buying an EV?

"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled". Whoever said it wasn't wrong!

Looks great. I'll polish my Spitfire for the Museum and hope that I'll be able to make this flight (next Saturday, I suppose)!!

Gunter.png?dl=1

Regards

Gunter Schneider

Good man. Yes next Saturday. Are you au fait with the TeamSpeak etc?

"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled". Whoever said it wasn't wrong!

Couple of things...First, I lied about the skiing in Aosta. It's too late in the season. Second, if you intend to go to dinner in Courchevel I can thoroughly recommend THIS scenery!

I can vouch for the LLH Creations scenery too, I have it. Very nice and accurate representation of the airport (I was there in February), and they even modelled the hotel we stayed at!

[Mostly from Wikipedia]

Named the St. Tropez of winter sports, Courcheval attracts a select clientele of VIPs, wealthy people and royal families, including Prince William and Kate Middleton, the Beckhams, Christina Aguilera, Geri Halliwell, Lionel Richie, the Saudi royal family, Roman Abramovich, Nick Wood, George Clooney, Giorgio Armani, the King of Morocco and many others.

Courchevel has 11 hotels with a 5-star ranking. In 2011 France introduced a very prestigious 6th star ranking for hotels, named "palaces". The palace ranking is only awarded to the most prestigious, exclusive and luxurious hotels in France. No more than eight hotels in France have been crowned with this rating. Two of those eight hotels are in Courchevel.

Courchevel is also known for its fine dining. It's the ski resort with the most Michelin starred restaurants. A total of seven restaurants share 11 Michelin stars, with four restaurants that have been awarded two Michelin stars. The number includes Le Chabichou which is famous for presenting an annual dinner for the Attwood party of pilots. Courcheval also hosts a variety of luxury shops including Louis Vuitton, Hermès, Valentino, Prestone, Prada, Cartier, Fendi, Dior and Chanel.

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Am I to understand that we'll continue flying our military aircraft to Geneva, then switching to something else?  What would that be, a high altitude capable craft, I gather?

Also, for those of you who have the A2A Spitfire:  I experienced an engine failure about 1-2 miles short of the destination runway yesterday.  Is it possible I just ran out of gas, although the bottom tank was still full, or was it something else?  Other than the crash, everything went well, except I think I might have pushed it too hard and it overheated.  :smile: :Shame On You:

Stew

"Different dog, different fleas"

See? I don't take my boys to any ol' cafe. Stew, you ain't as dumb as you look! High altitude? Not so much if you stay in the valleys. What this exercise will do is to test one's ability to adapt quickly to another aircraft. Makes a change eh? :smile:

Yeah, I like it.  Now, what about my Spitfire question?  I have no idea why I had engine failure.  But the flight itself was a lot of fun.

Stew

A2A_JE-J.jpg

Happy to tag along in the A2A Spitfire Mk IIb. Steve Landau's paint depicts the Spitfire Mk IX JE-J of flying ace and commander Johnnie Johnson. With a degree in engineering, his pre-war application for a place in the RAF was denied for social reasons…he was the son of a police officer. Johnson was much decorated and later rose to the rank of air vice-marshal.

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Stew, it is hard to know what caused your engine failure. As you know, the Spitfire is like a highly-spirited horse who needs to be treated with respect. A common mistake is to run her hard, without paying close attention to the oil and (especially) radiator temperatures. (Once the engine and oil are warm, and once the airflow cools the radiator, the envelope can be managed. There are good flying tips to be found in the A2A forums. If you haven't already done so, you might take a look at this video.)

PS. I have made (and continue to make) plenty of mistakes with the Spit. IMHO, it is worth getting through the learning curve.

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Thanks, Mike.  My initial thought was that I ran out of gas, but that was not the case, so I think it might have been a case of overheating, causing a vapor lock maybe.

Stew

Stew, you most probably selected gear down and flaps too far out from the runway, which will in many circumstances cause the Spit to overheat with the engine quitting as you described,

Good man. Yes next Saturday. Are you au fait with the TeamSpeak etc?

Has anything changed since the last flight I took (End of April)?

• Upvote 1

Gunter.png?dl=1

Regards

Gunter Schneider

Stew, you naughty boy! You added the Spitfire question after I posted a reply. I would have said what Tiger has said, flaps too early. Not sure that wheels would make that much difference though.

Nothing has changed Tiger except the I.P. address. The new one is in the right hand panel on TS.

Stew, you naughty boy! You added the Spitfire question after I posted a reply. I would have said what Tiger has said, flaps too early. Not sure that wheels would make that much difference though.

Interesting.  How would extending flaps too early cause the problem?  Airspeed too slow?  How far out should the flaps be extended?  A mile?

Stew