Sign in to follow this  
Ron Attwood

Attenzione! Giro d'Italia, seconda parte

Interesting.  How would extending flaps too early cause the problem?  Airspeed too slow?  How far out should the flaps be extended?  A mile?

It's the fact, that with gear down and flaps extended you run the engine on a higher power setting with a slower speed, thus getting not enough cooling for the engine. If you then drop flaps and gear way out on final, you aggravate the situation. The same would happend of course without gear and flaps down if you fly slow with a high power setting.

Stew, you naughty boy! You added the Spitfire question after I posted a reply. I would have said what Tiger has said, flaps too early. Not sure that wheels would make that much difference though.

Nothing has changed Tiger except the I.P. address. The new one is in the right hand panel on TS.

Thanks Ron, it's me, Gunter, I flew with you a couple of flights already....

Gunter.png?dl=1

Regards

Gunter Schneider

It's the fact, that with gear down and flaps extended you run the engine on a higher power setting with a slower speed, thus getting not enough cooling for the engine. If you then drop flaps and gear way out on final, you aggravate the situation. The same would happend of course without gear and flaps down if you fly slow with a high power setting.

Thanks Ron, it's me, Gunter, I flew with you a couple of flights already....

Oh, yes, hi, Gunter!  We haven't seen you in awhile.  Yes, your explanation makes sense. I'm too accustomed to flying sim aircraft where cooling isn't a big concern.  It strikes me that cooling problems were perhaps not as big an issue for post-war GA aircraft.  Am I wrong?  None of A2A's GA aircraft seem to have such concerns, for example.  Or is it just the Spit (and maybe the Me109?) where this was an issue?

Stew

"Different dog, different fleas"

Hi Stew, yes, I was away a couple of weeks.

And yes, cooling is a major concern for the Spit with AccuSim (and in reality, I learned). The other a/c are not so sensitive or have better means to control heat, like cowl flaps.

Gunter.png?dl=1

Regards

Gunter Schneider

Thanks, Gunter, for your advice.  I'm planning to practice flying the Spit again today and will pay closer attention to the cooling temps.  Still not sure I'll have enough practice to fly it this Saturday, though.

Stew

Short final, make sure the radiator flap is open. If it gives you a clue as to to cooling efficiency of early Spitfires, later models had two radiators!

Gunter! I should have known, it says so in your signature. :Doh:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Named the St. Tropez of winter sports, Courcheval attracts a select clientele of VIPs, wealthy people and royal families, including Prince William and Kate Middleton, the Beckhams, Christina Aguilera, Geri Halliwell, Lionel Richie, the Saudi royal family, Roman Abramovich, Nick Wood, George Clooney, Giorgio Armani, the King of Morocco and many others.

LOL !!  :LMAO:   Very good, Mike!  Didn't see my mates Will, Dave, Roman (A, not S) or George this time though  :P

Am I to understand that we'll continue flying our military aircraft to Geneva, then switching to something else?  What would that be, a high altitude capable craft, I gather?

Stew, doesn't have to be a high altitude aircraft, a C172 handles the conditions perfectly well and that's what I'll be flying.  If you want to do it in style though, a PC-12 is the aircraft of choice for Courchevel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfwL9TWm4oo

• Upvote 1

Thanks, Nick.  The follow-up video showed a TBM850 making the same landing.  Should I bring mine?....Nah.  The A2A C182 will do nicely, I think.

Stew

Nick, the only Mosquito I have, or will ever have unless A2A do one, is CBFS Mosquito B1V, so a line from somewhere would be nice. Or I'll be treated to the sight of a 300mph trike! :blink:

Nick, the only Mosquito I have, or will ever have unless A2A do one, is CBFS Mosquito B1V, so a line from somewhere would be nice. Or I'll be treated to the sight of a 300mph trike! :blink:

Yes, I was going to suggest using Dave Garwood's rather nice freeware Mossie from CBFS as a proxy.  It's the bomber B Mk IV version (glass nose) rather than the fighter FB Mk VI I'll be flying (with guns which work, so watch out!), but at least it gives you something Mossie-shaped.  The CFG title line needed for multiplayer is now on the MP spreadsheet. Here's the link for the Mosquito on CBFS:

http://www.cbfsim.co.uk/cbfs_lib/thumbnails.php?album=48

It's a very good model anyway, well worth taking up for a flight if you haven't tried it before.  I flew it for that race through the Southwest Pacific a little while ago.

Mmmmmm, an A2A Accusim Mosquito.... well, we can dream!  :Drooling:

It's a very good model anyway, well worth taking up for a flight if you haven't tried it before. I flew it for that race through the Southwest Pacific a little while ago.

That's why I have it! I did wonder. :smile:

I couldn't take in anymore....just bought the A2A T-6 Texan...and just found an RCAF skin....I suppose that this plane is a bit slow for this trip?  And I haven't tried it yet to know its ins and outs, most probable I'll screw up somewhere along the line...aka engine fire.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

You wont set fire to the Texan Bryan. She's a delight to fly, just polish up on your Fred Astaire moves when landing. You have to keep playing with the rudder to keep her straight until you come to a halt. You've only found ONE RCAF paint?  Take a look HERE!

Oh, and it's not a race. :smile:

You wont set fire to the Texan Bryan. She's a delight to fly, just polish up on your Fred Astaire moves when landing. You have to keep playing with the rudder to keep her straight until you come to a halt. You've only found ONE RCAF paint?  Take a look HERE!

Oh, and it's not a race. :smile:

Wow, I had no idea...hadn't really looked far but this is great.

Near CAM3

MY new toy.....and I smashed it already.

BRYAN-PC-2016-may-14-001.md.jpg

BRYAN-PC-2016-may-14-002.md.jpg

BRYAN-PC-2016-may-14-003a.md.jpg

Near CAM3