Sign in to follow this  
et31

Windows 7 or 10?

Hi everyone,

I am going to be ordering a new PC in the next day or two and the big question is should I choose Windows 7 or Windows 10?

The PC comes with Windows 10 as standard but I can get Windows 7 instead if I want. I know PMDG only officialy support Windows 7 but what would you say? This will be my PC for at least the next 4 years.

Kind regards

Greg

Greg Marshall

Windows 10 x64 | i7-6700K Skylake 4.2 GHz | 16GB DDR4 2133MHz | 750W PSU | GTX 970 4GB | Asus Z170 PRO Gaming Motherboard | H80i V2 CPU Cooler | Cooler Master Silencio 652S Case | Asus 23" Frameless Full HD Monitor | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD for OS & 2TB Seagate HDD for FSX            

I know PMDG only officialy support Windows 7 but what would you say?

We support 7 and 10. Support for 10 begins with the NGX and continues onward.

This will be my PC for at least the next 4 years.

Then I would go with 10.

• Upvote 2

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks very much Kyle.

Appreciate the quick reply.

Kind regards

Greg

Greg Marshall

Windows 10 x64 | i7-6700K Skylake 4.2 GHz | 16GB DDR4 2133MHz | 750W PSU | GTX 970 4GB | Asus Z170 PRO Gaming Motherboard | H80i V2 CPU Cooler | Cooler Master Silencio 652S Case | Asus 23" Frameless Full HD Monitor | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD for OS & 2TB Seagate HDD for FSX            

Thanks very much Kyle.

Appreciate the quick reply.

Welcome!

For what it's worth, a lot of the issues that people saw when it first came out were where they tried to install Win 10 "on top of" Win 7. It seems that reinstalling fresh helped a lot of their issues. Since your computer is new, you shouldn't see any of the issues you might see reported in various forums. I know I haven't seen any of them on my system which has had Win 10 on it from day 1.

Kyle Rodgers

Brilliant - that removes my worries. Will go with Windows 10.

• Upvote 1

Greg Marshall

I'm in the same boat for a system I plan to build in the next month, but have tentatively decided on win7 on the basis that both pmdg and LM recommend win7 64 on their product pages (specifically for the NGX, 777, and p3d v3).

Kyle, it's great to hear that you support win 10. What about controller issues? I know there has been lots of angst with USB controllers (yokes, throttles, etc) being flaky in win10. It seems like some people still have issues with controllers in win10 while for others it's smooth sailing.

If I could get more reassurance that a clean win10 install should work with p3d, pmdg, and accessories then I might lean in that direction.

Many thanks!

Andrew Farmer

My flight sim blog: Fly, Farmer, Fly!

I'm in the same boat for a system I plan to build in the next month, but have tentatively decided on win7 on the basis that both pmdg and LM recommend win7 64 on their product pages (specifically for the NGX, 777, and p3d v3).

Kyle, it's great to hear that you support win 10. What about controller issues? I know there has been lots of angst with USB controllers (yokes, throttles, etc) being flaky in win10. It seems like some people still have issues with controllers in win10 while for others it's smooth sailing.

If I could get more reassurance that a clean win10 install should work with p3d, pmdg, and accessories then I might lean in that direction.

Many thanks!

Glad I wasn't the only one wondering Andrew.

Out of interest what system/specs you looking at?

Greg Marshall

My new build is an i7-6700K with Win10.  I selected Win10 over Win7 to make sure I would have no problems with using the latest NVMe SSD protocols among other reasons.  I have no problems with Win10, P3D or XPlane and PMDG. None.  The only problems I've had system-wise was discovering that the NVidia 364.xx drivers were buggy and I had to learn a new way to start windows in safe mode to get rid of everything NVidia before installing a different driver. That wasn't Windows fault.

I am getting used to Win10 and will be updating my older i7-4790K to Win10 in the next few weeks.  Hope this helps.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

I haven't seen any. I believe that was more of a Win 8 thing.

Kyle Rodgers

Greg,

Here's my current top candidate: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rgjqLk

I need to go mini-itx for space reasons and maximum family acceptance factor. That makes part selection a but more challenging, but it can be done. The Fractal Core 500 looks like the perfect case for a solid build. Going with gtx 970 for now and will get a Pascal card towards the end of the year.

The Asus Z170i pro gaming is one of a few mini-itx boards that still offer some usb2 controllers. From what I've heard, win7 install disks won't work from a usb3 drive. I'm not getting an optical drive so will use an external USB optical drive to install the OS.

Let me know what you think!

Andrew Farmer

Greg,

Here's my current top candidate: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rgjqLk

I need to go mini-itx for space reasons and maximum family acceptance factor. That makes part selection a but more challenging, but it can be done. The Fractal Core 500 looks like the perfect case for a solid build. Going with gtx 970 for now and will get a Pascal card towards the end of the year.

The Asus Z170i pro gaming is one of a few mini-itx boards that still offer some usb2 controllers. From what I've heard, win7 install disks won't work from a usb3 drive. I'm not getting an optical drive so will use an external USB optical drive to install the OS.

Let me know what you think!

Looks good Andrew! Will do the job.

I'm looking at

Intel Core i7-6700K, up to 4.6GHz

16GB DDR4 2133MHz

GTX 970 4GB

250GB SSD / 2TB SSHD

Greg Marshall

the pascal cards are supposedly releasing may 27. in a few weeks you might be able to just get that..or if you want the cheaper route for now, it is likely the 970 will see a price drop once the 1080s are out. just a thought if you wanna save a few bucks. depends how urgent it is, if your current card isn't bad it might work as a standby

cheers

-andy crosby

Interesting, a couple of strong votes for win10 here.  May I ask some follow-ups, as I know virtually nothing about win10.  For a flight simmer, are there any good how-tos for setting up win10?  Something akin to NickN's win7 guides, or even just some tips and tricks?  As Kyle notes, a clean install is highly recommended.  But I'm also thinking about system tuning like turning off UAC, auto updates, irrelevant services, or any other windows system settings that may interfere with a clean simming experience.

It also feels wrong to me to stick with an ancient OS, but I know how to setup win7 and all the a/c and add-ons I have are known to work with it.  I'll be finally moving to P3D with this new build so if win10 is the way to go, I'm willing to give it a shot as long as I have the requisite knowledge not to shoot myself in the foot!

Andrew Farmer

For a flight simmer, are there any good how-tos for setting up win10?

Install. Use.

I think the only thing I did was turn UAC down, you cannot turn it off. Updates are prompted instead of automatic. Other than that starting clean was very easy.  There's things to get used to for sure but it has a very clean and uncluttered look that I have grown to prefer to my Win7 box.

Dan Downs KCRP