Sign in to follow this  
et31

Windows 7 or 10?

I have been pondering this Q too... I have lots of hardware  home cockpit.. I have the Flight illusion gauges (the 8 pack). I also have the Jetmax/Flight deck solutions 737 Throttle quadrant. and a Radio stack from TR-1 from Flight Link. 

Scared of Win10

Tough decision

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I just built a Skylake system, i7 6700k, GTX 970, Noctua NH D-15 cooler, 16g ram, dedicated SSD for W10 and another for FSX and made the decision to go with W10 based on info regarding Windows limited support for Skylake systems after July 2017.

With that said, I still have W7 installed on a separate partition with FS9 so can still fly my MD-11 that I bought so many years ago. After I upgraded my system I realized that I couldn't get the FSX version anymore from PMDG.

Have had ZERO problems with W10 so far. Fingers crossed. Really love my system though. Coming from what I had, single core 10 year old Dell with FSX fps always running in the single digits with sliders at minimum, I'm finally able to enjoy flight simming the way I've always wanted. I'm a very happy camper now.

And as far as I know, there are no more versions of Windows to be released. After W10 it's just gonna be free updates of that OS. Not gonna be a W11, W12 etc. Not a bad thing.

Mark

Mark Adams, KPWM

If you use a lot of controllers don't go with W10.

I use a lot of controllers and W10 could not handle them.  I had to remove it and reinstall W7.

• Upvote 1

I installed Win 10 on my two main computers.  One I use for business and one I use for FSX.  Both were Win7-64 Pro machines.  They both operated flawlessly in Win 10.  Unfortunately I could not get the machine running FSX to run FSX correctly and had to roll it back to Win 7 after 29 days of trying.  When I could get FSX to work under Win 10, it was excellent, but I never knew if it was going to work or how well it would work  when I started FSX.  Lots of folks have reported excellent success with FSX running Win 10, I just was not one of them. 

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

Hi Wilhelm,

Did you by chance try doing a clean install of win10? With the free upgrade program from Microsoft, I'm aware that first you need to upgrade from within win7. But I read you then have the option of downloading an installer to reformat the drive and conduct a clean install of win10. Since Kyle mentioned a clean install was recommended, that's the route I'm currently considering, despite it will be time consuming.

Andrew Farmer

My flight sim blog: Fly, Farmer, Fly!

I have a clean-installed Win10. Most everything is OK except my Saitek Pro Flight throttle quad. That doesn't work at all.

Barry Friedman

Did you by chance try doing a clean install of win10?

Andrew,

I did not do a clean install because FSX was the only program that I was having trouble with.    I may try again just before the free upgrade expires.  My other Win 10 machine did not have a clean install and I have not had any problems. 

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

If you use a lot of controllers don't go with W10.

I use a lot of controllers and W10 could not handle them.  I had to remove it and reinstall W7.

WOW

I have tonnes of USBs... GF module, Saiket modules, Flight Illusion gauges, Flightdeck 737 Throttle, TR-1Avionics... This is what I feared!

Sigh!

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I have tonnes of USBs... GF module, Saiket modules, Flight Illusion gauges, Flightdeck 737 Throttle, TR-1Avionics... This is what I feared!

For what it's worth, I'm not seeing this issue.

Kyle Rodgers

Has anyone tried the js41 on windows 10? It would be nice to know that this long forgotten bird can hold it's own on the latest platforms.

I'm too afraid of upgrading myself and risking the loss of this amazing aircraft.

Windows 10 here.

No issues with any software or hardware, don't scare people off by saying windows 10 doesn't support lots of controllers.. If you have controller issues it is more likely to be a driver install problem.

Im using a saitek yoke with 2 throttle quadrants and trim wheel, saitek pedals, ffb stick with fsforce, open cockpits mcp, 2x efis, 1x com module, an Xbox controller and an oculus rift (not all at the same time! :) ). I use these for different types of flying in different aircraft all configured in different ways via fsuipc, that way everything just stays plugged in ready for whatever aircraft I load up. In addition I have numerous plug in for various other utilities.

Not bragging just pointing out that any problems aren't inherently windows 10 related.

Chris

Kyle:  You answered the question of PMDG regarding  Windows 10 vs 7, but is that true for FSX with PMDG products or were you referring to Prepar3d with PMDG products?

If I am building a new system with FSX, should I use Windows 10 or 7?

Paul Gugliotta

Kyle:  You answered the question of PMDG regarding  Windows 10 vs 7, but is that true for FSX with PMDG products or were you referring to Prepar3d with PMDG products?

Compatibility and support of those platforms on Win 10 would be questions for the respective developers.

All the same, I'm running FSX, FSX:SE. Prepar3D (v3.2), and X-Plane (Steam). All of them run perfectly fine.

I also have rudder pedals, a USB stick, a USB throttle quadrant, a USB mic, a USB keyboard, a USB mouse, and a USB headset routinely plugged in at the same time, so I'm not sure what this "controller issue" is all about.

Kyle Rodgers

For what it's worth, I just upgraded to Windows 10. After the switch, I had troubles getting FSX to load but I was having a similar problem with Windows 7. That prompted to me move over to FSE:SE. It's been smooth as silk ever since. FSX:SE has been trouble free even though it's running at higher settings on my seven-year-old computer. PMDG aircraft work fine. (Touch wood). 

That's good news, I'm going to make a new build soon, ater four years of loyal services I just had to wait for that new GPU Generation to finally come so I could go and get another build that could last the same amount of time. So windows 10 being supported that will be my choice, as well as probably FSX SE to make it a little easier for installation and all, than finding back the two install discs as well as the expension, activating it and all.