Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

Any chance we'll ever see reflections on the displays?

Like this? 

000_0462.JPG

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I get some of that in P3D and shadows.  Lighting is mostly dependent on the rendering engine, you didn't mention which platform you are concerned.  Nice picture, N771UA, I happen to be flying Goldstar's N785UA right now on UA20 KIAH-EHAM.

Dan Downs KCRP

I get some of that in P3D and shadows. Lighting is mostly dependent on the rendering engine, you didn't mention which platform you are concerned. Nice picture, N771UA, I happen to be flying Goldstar's N785UA right now on UA20 KIAH-EHAM.

I'm in P3D3.2...they look kiiinda flat. :)

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

One outfit making an Airbus did that and everyone complained, so they implemented a "switch off" feature.

David Porrett

One outfit making an Airbus did that and everyone complained, so they implemented a "switch off" feature.

I can see why people would not like them.  (But I can also understand why RW pilots wouldn't like them as well...though they have the option, at least, to wear dark shirts. :) )  It also depends on how strong they are.  I have them in some GA planes and they do add something subconscious to the realism...and do have a config option if people want to turn them off.

Gregg Seipp

The Aerosoft Airbus series of aircraft have decent reflections, but you have to consider the type of panel screens being used.  Some have a matte finish, which wouldn't reflect well and for good reason, as the pilots need to be able to see the screens if too bright of a light is shining on them.  Honestly though, isn't this taking the eye candy a little too far?

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Quite a lot of X-Plane aircraft have reflections on displays, the IXEG ones are excellent. Be interesting to see in the DC6 has them on the gauge glass

Jason Row

The 6 definitely has them.

Have a look at the fuel and oil pressure gauges (up near the #4 fire indicator). The oil pressure gauge is clearly showing a reflection of the FO's seat pattern. The right-side fuel flow gauge shows the reverse lever, while the left-side fuel flow gauge shows the throttle lock.

[The following is a screenshot from very early in the beta cycle, but it still shows the reflection]

DC-6_5.jpg

• Upvote 2

Kyle Rodgers

I can see why people would not like them.  (But I can also understand why RW pilots wouldn't like them as well...though they have the option, at least, to wear dark shirts. :) )  It also depends on how strong they are.  I have them in some GA planes and they do add something subconscious to the realism...and do have a config option if people want to turn them off.

The 777 and NGX both have a bit of shine to them, which emphasizes the finger prints on the latter in the right light. There's an anti-glare coating on a lot of LCDs of today. Some of the older ones have gotten it polished off over the years of cleaning. The true reflections come from the older CRTs, which have an extra glass pane in front of them, with the actual display set back behind it

You can see this in the image below of the flight deck of a 767 hybrid (joking name for a 767-400). The CDUs are all older-style LCDs, and you can see the display (slightly greener glass) set back under the protective glass, which is very reflective. The LCDs of the main displays - PFD, ND, and so on - have a much more diffuse and muted reflection. Note how the same reflection is very bright and defined on the Capt CDU (pink on the CDU - a mix of the brown glareshield, white underlight, and white balance on my phone's camera), while it is very muted on the lower EICAS. As the LCDs get cleaned with microfiber cloths and various solvents, they'll lose the anti-glare and get more of what you see in the original post.

IMG_5380.jpg

Kyle Rodgers

The 777 and NGX both have a bit of shine to them, which emphasizes the finger prints on the latter in the right light. There's an anti-glare coating on a lot of LCDs of today. Some of the older ones have gotten it polished off over the years of cleaning. The true reflections come from the older CRTs, which have an extra glass pane in front of them, with the actual display set back behind it

Yeah, that's kinda what I'm talking about. 

Gregg Seipp

Yeah, that's kinda what I'm talking about. 

Miscommunication here, then...

My comment was to say that we've modeled displays that haven't been polished from years of use (again, anti-glare LCDs and not CRTs, which are reflective and glassy because of the actual presence of glass). It's not as hard on the processor, too, since you're limiting additional renders. A reflection is an additional render of the environment in FSX/P3D. Keep in mind, as well, that there aren't any people in the VC, again to save on frames and avoid eyepoint issues.

For those of you beginning to assemble the "but you're doing it in X-Plane" argument:

• Different engine
  • Different rendering
  • Different built in functions
  • Much less overhead from not having complex displays rendering complex objects
  • ...on top of the fact that we're already shoehorning FSX/P3D into things they aren't quite designed to do

Kyle Rodgers

It's not as hard on the processor, too, since you're limiting additional renders. A reflection is an additional render of the environment in FSX/P3D. Keep in mind, as well, that there aren't any people in the VC, again to save on frames and avoid eyepoint issues.

That's probably the main thing to the no reflections: performance.  Having flown the airplane (badly) at some tough airports (e.g. Flightbeam KSFO) performance was fine...pretty surprising, that.  Still, have to admit it'd be kinda nice sometimes...even new displays will have a reflective 'glow' from white shirts.  Ah sigh.  Pesky users.  :)  Maybe when we all have 100ghz processors.

Gregg Seipp

I get some of that in P3D and shadows.  Lighting is mostly dependent on the rendering engine, you didn't mention which platform you are concerned.  Nice picture, N771UA, I happen to be flying Goldstar's N785UA right now on UA20 KIAH-EHAM.

Right now!?!?! Holy crap! Quit writing and look ahead!

Enjoy :wink:

Miscommunication here, then...

My comment was to say that we've modeled displays that haven't been polished from years of use (again, anti-glare LCDs and not CRTs, which are reflective and glassy because of the actual presence of glass). It's not as hard on the processor, too, since you're limiting additional renders. A reflection is an additional render of the environment in FSX/P3D. Keep in mind, as well, that there aren't any people in the VC, again to save on frames and avoid eyepoint issues.

For those of you beginning to assemble the "but you're doing it in X-Plane" argument:

• Different engine
  • Different rendering
  • Different built in functions
  • Much less overhead from not having complex displays rendering complex objects
  • ...on top of the fact that we're already shoehorning FSX/P3D into things they aren't quite designed to do

Soooo...youre saying there's a chance?

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda