Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

Aero Commander Top Speed ?

Rob see anything out of the ordinary - I dont - tops out at 154mph - leveled off in ap mode - should be faster than this right ? also I re-downloaded it from carenado few mins ago and re-installed it - get about 10 more mph since doing that but still not right I think

2dmcrj6.jpg

Ray see anything out of the ordinary - I dont - tops out at 154mph - leveled off in ap mode - should be faster than this right ? also i re-downloaded it from carenado few mins ago and re-installed it - get about 10 more mph since doing that but still not right I think

Rich Sennett

I would try leaning it to about 55%- 60%...good luck!

Martin

Thanks Martin thought I did that but can try again - as I pulled back on mixture I believe it got slower and definitely when I pulled back on prop pitch

Rich Sennett

The only way I can get any speed out of her is to have the throttle almost full 98% and the prop pitch almost all the way forward and the mixture controls at 9,000ft at 55%, as mentioned that gave me 203 mph. Pretty close to the specs, however you shouldn't have to have prop pitch almost full forward and power at 98% to get those numbers in real life....

The only way I can get any speed out of her is to have the throttle almost full 98% and the prop pitch almost all the way forward and the mixture controls at 9,000ft at 55%, as mentioned that gave me 203 mph. Pretty close to the specs, however you shouldn't have to have prop pitch almost full forward and power at 98% to get those numbers in real life....

Hi Martin got 174 out of it but thats it tried everything - mixture at anything less than all the way up didnt help - need to change something in cfg file to give it more power so I dont have fart around 

Rich Sennett

Rich... your screenie shows the ASI and text to show the speed as 154 KIAS... Knots.  Your 174 KIAS looks to be just under 200 mph.

HTH

Greg

Rich... your screenie shows the ASI and text to show the speed as 154 KIAS... Knots.  Your 174 KIAS looks to be just under 200 mph.

HTH

Greg

So its ok I guess going to up thrust_scalar = 1.30 from thrust_scalar = 1.00 see if that helps - seems a bit slow to me even if it is correct at the moment report back - still speed gauge on vc is only reading 174mph - should be around 200mph i would think - thank you

HTH

Greg

You are correct Greg its the inner numbers for mph changed from thrust_scalar = 1.00 to thrust_scalar = 1.25 and its perfect now - thanks guys - good stuff

Rich Sennett

e-mail sent to Carenado regarding cruise speed. Doesn't really answer the question?

I notice the only way to match the performance tables that indicate cruise speed at 203mph at 75% power is to run her at 100% power, with pitch full forward. The aircraft seems to be a little under powered.

Carenado Support, May 15, 21:26:

Greetings,

The flight dynamics were created and tested by a real life pilot with a lot of knowledge and experience in this area based on the aircraft´s POH.

Regards,

Carenado.

Hi MartinRex007,

I can confirm your findings - I managed 202 knots (not MPH) at 9K ft, throttles full open, RPM 2400, mixture leaned to 53%...  certainly not 75% power.  Wind wasn't a factor at the time :)

Mark

Thanks for confirming, hard to imagine a "real life pilot with a lot of knowledge and experience in this area based on the aircraft´s POH." couldn't get that right :fool:

Cheers

Martin

Hi Folks.

As I read through these comments I had a few observations that might be helpful.

Keep in mind that these are normally aspirated engines. They are not turbocharged and certainly not turbine engines. As such they will begin to lose power as altitude increases. At 9,000' on a normal day full throttle would only yield about 55% power. According to the performance tables that should result in a TAS of just over 190 MPH (about 167 kts) .

Jesse

P.S. Wind has nothing to do with TAS, it only affects groundspeed. True Airspeed is Indicated Airspeed corrected for altitude and temperature.

• Upvote 1

Jesse Cochran
"... eyes ever turned skyward"

P3D v5.3 Professional, Windows 10 Professional, Jetline GTX, Gigabyte Aorus X299 Gaming 7 mobo, i7 7740X @ 4.9 GHz, Corsair H115i Liquid Cooling, 32Gb SDRAM @ 3200MHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX1080Ti @ 11 GB

ORBX Global + NALC, ASP3D, ASCA, ENVTEX, TrackIR, Virtual-Fly Yoko Yoke, TQ6+, Ruddo+ Rudder Pedals

Jesse,

Good point, that might explain the cruise speed. So how does one determine in the sim when you are running at 75% power, I just assumed it was the physical location of your throttles but that can't be right according to what you just explained?

Thanks - Martin

Hi Martin,

It's not related to the physical position of the throttles - as you could leave the throttles in the exact same position - as altitude increases - horsepower decreases... The lack of oxygen at higher altitudes accounts for the reduction in power... I'm sure there is a way to calculate it but I don't know how...

Normally it's included in the cruise tables of the POH - don't know if Carenado provided them...

Something doesn't seem to be jiving though - as I did come across that 176 knts TAS @ 9000 feet @ 75% power figure listed several places... If they include a cruise table with the plane would you mind posting a screenshot ? I'm curious now as well...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Thanks Scott, I'll have to look into that, should be based on RPM and MP  I would think?

Cheers

Martin