Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

Aero Commander Top Speed ?

Hi Martin,

While not for the plane in question - just an example of how BHP - Horesepower - is affected by altitude...

dbcf40764ddc538a5399f1cf55c3bbba_zpsfg34

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Thanks Scott, all coming back to me now.  I did find the cruise performance table for the AC 500S, Carenado did provide some performance charts. If I figure out how to post I'll post the cruise table.

Regards

Martin

Hi Richard I had that same speed problem. What I did was change the power scaler to 1.3 and als uped the prop thrust to 1.1. now she is perfect.

Hi Richard I had that same speed problem. What I did was change the power scaler to 1.3 and als uped the prop thrust to 1.1. now she is perfect.

Thank you - I have made that adjustment some time back and works nice - take care

Rich Sennett

On page two of the Shrike Aero Commander threads, see Greg Morins' "commander-merlyn-turbo-charger-conversion." Changing the power_scalar will cause erratic behavior. FYI on making changes to increase power.

Don Nelson

The link below might help in understanding the relationship of performance with Pressure Altitude. Just remember that as you go up, the air density is reduced, and thus the engine looses power. It is much the same as if you yourself when you are in a high altitude location, like Aspen, or Denver for example. You tire more easily and don't perform as well as you do when at a lower altitude. The normally aspirated engine is no different.

A turbo charged engine will do exactly the same as well, only the altitude where it begins to loose power will be higher, as the turbo helps to maintain the sea level pressure within the intake manifold up to a much higher elevation. Once you reach the critical altitude however, it will also begin to loose power.​

http://www.recreationalflying.com/tutorials/groundschool/umodule1b.html#altitude_power

Kerry W. Gipe
Savannah Georgia, USA
US FAA A&P / Commercial Pilot Multi Engine Land IFR

Your talent is a gift from God. How you use your talent is your gift back to God.

On this model changing the power_scalar will result in out of control spins while starting the "left" engine during cold and dark and during airborne restarts. I experienced this and found the cause in Gregs post. If you change it and it goes crazy, it's a known problem. Your results may vary. Thanks for the link.

Don Nelson

The link below might help in understanding the relationship of performance with Pressure Altitude. Just remember that as you go up, the air density is reduced, and thus the engine looses power. It is much the same as if you yourself when you are in a high altitude location, like Aspen, or Denver for example.

Great info - thanks for sharing 

Rich Sennett

Has anyone noticed that, with Greg's TC changes, the takeoff "feels" like it is accelerating REALLY fast? I like the increased speed in the air, but may not do full throttle takeoffs. Just curious if anyone else has noticed this. 

Yes, extremely fast. Has anyone tweeked the performance to fall somewhere in between what was released and Greg's TC?

Don Nelson

I'd like to know what the performance profiles are for the Turbo Charger version. I need to document the A/C profile for my flight planner, and see many numbers being used by knowledgable folks. Would anyone care to share their turbo values with me that they think are reasonable? Thanks! 

Carenado Support, May 15, 21:26:

Greetings,

The flight dynamics were created and tested by a real life pilot with a lot of knowledge and experience in this area based on the aircraft´s POH.

Regards,

Carenado.

That's quite pathetic.  Is that really the best support a software development company can offer - or is the receptionist on support duty this week.