I am reading through the checklist step by step and I cannot seem to get the engines started from cold and dark.  For starters the startup procedures mention the following:

• Mixture control - IDLE CUTOFF. 
  • Fuel shutoff switch - OPEN
  • Fuel boost pump switch - ON
  • Fuel pressure - 20 to 26 psi

With mixture set to idle cutoff there is no way that you will get fuel pressure.  Even with the mixture control to Full I cannot get the engines to start without using the Ready to Taxi button.

I really like the plane other than a couple of small things.  The transponder not having "0" is another goofy one.  I wish they would allow the Mindstar Aviation GNS530 to be used as well.

John

John P. Navara

PP ASEL-IA - 1967 V35 N480H

Complex, HP & Tailwheel endorsements

https://twitch.tv/Sim_Dude

I believe the transponder issue has been fixed, requires you to download again. The mixture control needs to be full forward at sea level, higher attitudes you might need to learn a bit, not sure why they say IDLE CUTOFF it will never start that way :fool:

Cheers

Martin

I believe the transponder issue has been fixed, requires you to download again. The mixture control needs to be full forward at sea level, higher attitudes you might need to learn a bit, not sure why they say IDLE CUTOFF it will never start that way :fool:

Cheers

Martin

In real life most fuel injected engines are primed with the mixture rich to flood the system, then mixture to idle cutoff and crank the engine till it fires then move the mixtures to full rich.

FSX does not work this way unless the developers have worked a specific fix around it.

Not in all the fuel injected airplanes that I have flown.  The BE35 that I own had mixture rich for priming and starting procedures.

Even using the full rich method it doesn't start.  The engine turns about 10 seconds and dies.

John

John P. Navara

Yes you are right not all injected engines start mixture idle cut off. And I suspect that probably all injected engines will start with the mixture full rich anyway.

There are 2 fuel cutoff switches/engine both of which have to be turned on if you have selected a cold dark start

There is the really obvious fuel cutoff switch by the magneto switch

There is another guarded fuel/hydraulic switch in the overhead panel above the magneto switch which also needs to be turned on. Thus switch requires you to click on the guard to open it then click left click on tne switch revealed under the guard. The guard will then close automatically

The engines wont run with either switch turned off

Another thing I found is the engines won't start if the starter switch is held on. I programmed a keyboard short cut for my starter. If I held the key down until it fired up as instinct had me doing it would not start

If I just pressed and released the key it fires up straight away

There are two rocker covered switches on the upper panel. Flip them open and make sure the switches are UP. the cover will close automatically:

swup.jpg

then make sure the fuel valves are OPEN as well. Set your fuel mixtures to about HALF. Your start up will work now.

here is a vid for the 520, but is the same for the 500 as well:

• Upvote 1

That's a good video!!

Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Some great videos on his youtube channel!

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Thanks for the help.

Good video but different enough that it only shows 1 fuel valve per side and the Carenado model as 2 per side.

Thanks,

John

There is another guarded fuel/hydraulic switch in the overhead panel above the magneto switch which also needs to be turned on. Thus switch requires you to click on the guard to open it then click left click on tne switch revealed under the guard. The guard will then close automatically

The engines wont run with either switch turned off

You are correct.  That was the problem.  The startup procedures provided by Carenado are limited at best.

John

John P. Navara