I have never seen "AP PITCH HOLD" in any FSX documentation... so interested also..

Bert

I have never seen "AP PITCH HOLD" in any FSX documentation... so interested also..

As above, it's in the FSUIPC list of key commands, but I suspect not in the default list within FSX.

I'll grab a screenie and be right back.......

---------------------------------

....it's called "AP ATT HOLD" (attitude, or pitch)

5510.jpg

As you can see, I have the 'P' key assigned to it here.  I use it in a number of aircraft that have older APs, that use pitch hold instead of Vertical Speed.

(Obviously, I've reassigned the "Pause" function to a different key!).

----------------------------

[EDIT:  As others have said, having looked again, the pitch hold function works, but the Pitch button animation does not work when HDG is selected]

Bill

UK LAPL-A

Currently flying:- (GA): COWS DA-42, A2A Comanche, FSW C414, WT SR22T, FSS P2006, BlSq TBM850, FSR M500, Flyboy Rans S6S, SWS Zenith 701,C172 JT-A mod (Airliners): Fenix A320, Ini A300-600, FBW A320 NEO and PMDG737.

AP ATT HOLD is well known... earlier in the thread, someone suggested replacing

"Att" by "Pitch" to fix a problem.. and that had me wondering...  Sounds like a run around.

Bert

Just to be clear fellows.

I have yet to use the autopilot.  There is a short manual in the Carenado folder, does the manual not lay out the procedure?

Or is there actually a flaw in the coding and the procedure above sorts it all out?

cheers

Bryan

The manual is a sloppy cut and paste from the Century III factory manual with

several inaccuracies.

The coding has some bugs, but Carenado is looking at it.. Hopefully Public Beta 2

has some of this fixed.  I have already sent them code to test.

Bert

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the step by step explanation.. I am trying to follow..

- Press ROLL and then HDG in the AP minipanel

- Engage AP by clicking the switch selector (located at the left side of the AP panel) to ON

I cannot engage HDG without first engaging the little AP switch.. can you try running through it again?

- Rotate the VS wheel in the right direction (try for yourself to figure it out, using your mouse wheel or clicking) and set the desired VS in FPM as per the dial indicator

Are you talking about the Elevator Trim Wheel?

- Try not to use the PITCH switch, but in case you use it, click it twice (in my setup the switch does not move in or out, unless ALT mode is engaged - a bug, probably) and adjust always using the pitch wheel

OK, are you saying that the Pitch switch does not work for you?  :wink:

That was my original complaint, that the Pitch switch does not work with the autopilot in Heading mode.

- Press the ALT switch in the AP panel to disengage ALT control

- Press the PITCH switch in the AP panel and after use the VS rotary wheel to select your rate of ascent/descent in FPS

How does that match up with

(in my setup the switch does not move in or out, unless ALT mode is engaged..)

Hi Bert:

Please look at the entire post, step by step. I think most of your questions are responded as you read down. The VS wheel is the vertical speed wheel located in the AP panel, not the elevator trim wheel.

The PITCH switch works for me, but what I say is that you don't need to press it, unless you're disengaging the ALT mode. If you are trying to ascent/descend, and you're in HDG mode and were not in ALT mode, with the AP ON, the only thing you need to do is to rotate the VS wheel in the right direction to go up or down.

Probably the AP behavior of the AC could be improved, but we shouldn't forget the fact that this is a simulation and this a/c was designed in the 60s, so it's not a modern and precise AP, but it works!.

Good luck!

Ed

Hi, all:

For those who are eventually interested in having a modern AP system in their aircraft, including the Shrike, look at this:

http://www.airdailyx.net/fsnewsbreaker/2016/5/17/mindstar-bendix-king-kap-140-autopilot-released

The bad news is that is USD 25 invesment!.

Cheers,

Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Hi Bert:

Please look at the entire post, step by step. I think most of your questions are responded as you read down. The VS wheel is the vertical speed wheel located in the AP panel, not the elevator trim wheel.

The PITCH switch works for me, but what I say is that you don't need to press it, unless you're disengaging the ALT mode. If you are trying to ascent/descend, and you're in HDG mode and were not in ALT mode, with the AP ON, the only thing you need to do is to rotate the VS wheel in the right direction to go up or down.

Probably the AP behavior of the AC could be improved, but we shouldn't forget the fact that this is a simulation and this a/c was designed in the 60s, so it's not a modern and precise AP, but it works!.

Good luck!

Ed

Hi, all:

For those who are eventually interested in having a modern AP system in their aircraft, including the Shrike, look at this:

http://www.airdailyx.net/fsnewsbreaker/2016/5/17/mindstar-bendix-king-kap-140-autopilot-released

The bad news is that is USD 25 invesment!.

Cheers,

Ed

I'm using the Wefly AP/GPS in the 500S & its working well once I figured out the 500S AP  interactions with the Wefly. Which buttons to push etc.

http://www.fspilotshop.com/wefly-works-team-autopilot-gps-p-5536.html

This is all nice and fine and dandy but what about people like me who do NOT use FSUIPC?

Jack Sawyer

FSUIPC does not really solve anything here.. suggest a bit of patience until Carenado releases V1.1.

Bert

FSUIPC does not really solve anything here.. suggest a bit of patience until Carenado releases V1.1.

Yup.

But Bert, I am still shouting from the rooftops about that Roll knob. Does anyone on God's green Earth know what it is or does and if it is even modeleld in this plane?

I am asking again, what does that knob do and is it modeled?

Jack Sawyer

The Roll switch engages the autopilot, without that on the AP will not track! You need both the AP switch and the Roll switch on. It's in the documentation.

The Roll switch engages the autopilot, without that on the AP will not track! You need both the AP switch and the Roll switch on. It's in the documentation.

I'm talking about the "Roll Autopilot Turn" knob. It has a L & R above t and rotates left and right. It's located directly below the white rocker switches.

Jack Sawyer

Sorry, thought you meant the "Other: roll switch. Looks like it is suppose to make small incremental adjustments to your heading when the AP is on. That way you don't have to disengage the AP to make a small heading change. That would be my guess.

It is definitely modeled...

From the factory manual:

"Because the roll is first in logical sequence. the roll
engage acts as an autopilot master switch. In this
capacity the roll must be engaged for all other engage
and mode switches to become operative. With this roll
switch only engaged, the autopilot is responsive only to
the roll axis of the attitude gyro and the commands of the
console roll/turn control."

So, this is like a wing leveler with turn capabilities.

Bert

It is.. and some things are not working quite yet, this being one of them.

The command being used is:  K:AILERON_SET

Would seem that this would start an aileron controlled turn.. why nothing happens, I do not know.

Edit:  I just sent Carenado some code that makes this operational.. turned the Wing Leveler off..

Bert