Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

How to reduce high-altitude VAS usage

I was lumbering along the Northeast US at FL350 and started getting VAS warnings.  o.O 

VAS?  Up hear?  I rarely get VAS warnings.  Even the 777 at KSFO is fine.  On the other hand, I rarely pay attention to things that can cause VAS problems up high.  I cut back my clouds and eventually VAS dropped back to 3500MB.  So, what can cause it and what are your settings to reduce its use.  Here's what I have up there...

Active Sky Next

Orbx Global

Orbx Vector

Did I mention the 777?  Oh, I did.

My graphics settings down low are pretty high but...jeez...that stuff is way down there.  Maybe it was being loaded even from that high up?

EDIT:  I suspect I know what did it.  I was flying over NYC and I have  Drzewiecki Design scenery.  I'm guessing it loads even though you're six miles up.  I'll try it again with it disabled.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

What version P3D?

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

What version P3D?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

Try to also disable Vector, as VAS hog and you can't see road from that high anyway.  

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

If I were you, I would only enable the sceneries you need for a specific flight, perventing that not required sceneries will load as you fly over them.
Personally I have a base set loaded (FTX, Vector, Mesh etc) and only the 2 add-on airports that I fly from/to.

Initially it is a bit of work, restructuring your scenery.cfg but in the end you will benefit from it.

Alternatively you also can use a tool like SimStarter NG where you can define multiple scenery configs and load these automatically when P3D starts.

I started to use SimStarter recently and I must say it is a great tool. It has some issues but they get ironed out.

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Alternatively you also can use a tool like SimStarter NG where you can define multiple scenery configs and load these automatically when P3D starts.

I started to use SimStarter recently and I must say it is a great tool. It has some issues but they get ironed out.

I use SimStarter NG.  Yes...great tool.  Yeah, disable at least the heavy hitters.  I've been pondering the simplest way to do that.  What I may do is make some areas their own scenery config area...a dog house where they only get loaded if I specifically ask for them.  Pretty sure that's what it was...NYC.

Gregg Seipp