Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

There be mountains in Australia!

I planned a flight this morning from YPEC-YRED and with a planning of using VOR's...it took me from the coast, a ways into the mainland.

I couldn't figure why my flight plan came out to be at a cruise of 10,000 feet ASL, as I had not encountered any real mountains in my exploration of Australia since getting into it with my Orbx current sale purchases.  

Well...about an hour into my flight plan at a cruse speed of 140 knots, I found out why the controllers had me climb to 10,000 feet...

....between YPEC and YRED, there be mountains....with these two pics, I'd say the tops are sitting only about 3, 000 feet below me.

To Carl, I recommend this trip, IFR, with VOR routing between the above-mentioned airports.  The scenery is varied, and quite beautiful. Kick in some ASN haze, over those mountains...and it all becomes prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrfect.  Seriously, Carl, make the run, and tell me what you thought.

Mitch

2016_5_14_10_11_10_602.png

2016_5_14_10_11_34_910.png

2016_5_14_10_22_14_81.png

The mountain crest to my left, can't be 1,000 feet below my wing...so now for sure, do I see why I was routed at 10,000!   The controllers have my back... :wink:

2016_5_14_10_25_31_881.png

2016_5_14_10_42_51_792.png

2016_5_14_10_45_32_315.png

2016_5_14_10_56_34_440.png

• Upvote 4

Nice shots!  Thanks for the flight idea.  :smile:

- Nick

Like flight sim videos? Do me a favor and take a quick survey: http://www.avsim.com/topic/488157-flight-sim-video-survey/#entry3416965

Like fighter jets/planes? Do me a favor and take a quick survey: http://www.avsim.com/topic/488215-what-fighter-jetsplanes-do-you-enjoy-watching-in-fs-videos/#entry3417428

Nice shots!  Thanks for the flight idea.  :smile:

...it's really turning out to be a great flight plan to file! :)

Many things to see, and quite varied topography.  I'm learning about Australia...via my flight sojourns

As you can see, via the GNS, I'm probably about 45 miles in from the coast, you can see through ASN's great haze injection upon the horizon.  Tracking VOR--->VOR.

2016_5_14_10_49_13_109.png

Ses.

• Upvote 1

Final 2 shots,  well, I learned something today, parts of Australia, has mountain ranges at some points, the  general mean-average heights of the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. This picture show tops at 8-9,000 feet by my reckoning .

2016_5_14_11_0_40_761.png

2016_5_14_11_11_33_856.png

• Upvote 1

the highest mountain in the mainland of Australia is about 7200ft if my geography education still stands

great shots BTW. love the C337.

• Upvote 1

the highest mountain in the mainland of Australia is about 7200ft if my geography education still stands

great shots BTW. love the C337.

Well, that would fit into the lower-mid  Rockies...and what I thought in my last 2 pics...about 8,000 with the eye. :)  Glad they gave me 3,000 feet of separation along the flight plan...P3D Controllers..."you go guys!". :hi:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Kosciuszko

Thanks, Rich :)

Thank you Buddy - your passion for flightsim is off the charts   :wink:

Rich Sennett