Sign in to follow this  
RaptyrOne

Monitoring VAS real time in the sim

First time I have had the FSUIPC warning for low VAS. Ding - donging only started in the bay on shut down, so no actual OOM, but on a very short flight. In fairness, all settings maxed out, including Vector options. Bad weather too.

Now I am looking for a way to view VAS in real time in the sim, preferably without exiting the full screen or pausing the sim. What is recommended for this purpose in P3D? A search on Google and here has some options but posts date back to 2014. I think P3Dv3 might have outgrown some of those older suggestions?

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Thanks, will give this a try.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

FSUIPC is better as it shows the amount remaining. Saves you having to deduct the value shown in the other from 4000000. :smile:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

hi all

i use this feature and i happy with it, but when you fly in full screen it become no available, so is it possible to follow vas in a second pc across widefs for example?

Thanks

Frédéric Giraud

This needs a registered FSUIPC. It uses two simple Lua functions to create a pop-up with the memory situation. If you want a continuous version, see my original post at the Orbx forums.

Instructions:

(1) Put the first block in a file named 'showvas.lua'.

(2) Put the second block in a file named 'hidevas.lua'.

(3) Save both files in your FSX\modules folder.

(4) In the FSUIPC 'buttons and switches' dialog, set the DOWN action of a free button to 'Lua Showvas' and the corresponding UP action to 'Lua Hidevas'.

Now you should get a window with the used/free memory in it while you hold the buttton down. You can change the position of the window by amending the 'ipc.setowndisplay' line. (Note that the position works differently than 'ipc.setdisplay'. You could use ipc.setdisplay instead if you wanted to.)

showvas.lua

-- Free / used memory monitor for FSX
-- by MarkH
--
-- REQUIRES
--
--        showvas.lua (this file)
--        hidevas.lua
--
--        Put these two files in your FSX/modules folder.
--
-- This displays a window showing the amount of memory currently in use by FSX and
-- the amount remaining. The window is removed by calling the complementary program
-- 'hidevas'.
--
-- The two programs will appear in the list of FSX functions available to be mapped to
-- keys in FSUIPC's 'buttons and switches' dialog. They will appear as 'Lua Showvas' and
-- 'Lua Hidevas' unless you have renamed the files. I suggest you map 'Lua Showvas' to
-- a button-down event and 'Lua Hidevas' to the corresponding button-up event, so the
-- display is only shown while you hold the button down.

local function Round(nVal)
    return math.floor(nVal + 0.5)
end

local MaxMem = 2^32 / 1024 -- Size of FSX virtual address space in kilobytes

ipc.setowndisplay("Mem Used / Remaining", 47.5, 0, 5, 2.5) -- Title, x, y, width and height (as % of display width and height).
ipc.set("VASWindow", 1) -- A global ipc variable we've invented to maintain the window state

-- Now we sit in a loop reading and displaying the values until our global
-- flag gets reset, typically by the button-up action.

local FreeMemOffset = 0x024C
repeat
    local FreeMem = ipc.readUD(FreeMemOffset)
    local UsedMem = MaxMem - FreeMem
    ipc.display(Round(UsedMem / 1000) .. " / " .. Round(FreeMem / 1000) .. " KB x 1000")
    ipc.sleep(200) -- Milliseconds
until ipc.get("VASWindow") == 0

hidevas.lua

-- Free / used memory monitor for FSX
-- by MarkH
--
-- REQUIRES
--
--        showvas.lua
--        hidevas.lua (this file)
--
--        Put these two files in your FSX/modules folder.

-- This resets the ipc global variable to show that we want to close the window.
-- The main program sits in a loop updating the window and watching this flag.

ipc.set("VASWindow", 0)

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

hi all

i use this feature and i happy with it, but when you fly in full screen it become no available, so is it possible to follow vas in a second pc across widefs for example?

Thanks

Yes you can use WideFS to do this. I have not done it but I have read it is definitely possible using WideFS.

My similar question though: can I use an Apple iPad with WideFS, to view VAS? Or is this pushing my luck a little too far? I prefer running the sim in full screen mode which means VAS via FSUIPC is not visible unless I "Alt+Enter" every so often to check on it. Not a huge issue, better than having no idea at all. I definitely do not like the huge green band in the full screen option. Pity it can't just show like the FPS does [shift+Z], without the green band, or be limited to a small green block.

Cheers!

GregH

hi all

Thanks

Pete Dowson wrote VAS Monitor which I added a readme to. I run this on a WideFS PC. It also gives you the current fps. You can download it here. http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=181957

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

You could also try Projectfly VAS monitor. It works with an unregistered version of FSUIPC and can be displayed on top of your simulator window.

And just to throw one last option out there, MSI Afterburner has a nice utility that you can overlay or hide with a shortcut, customizable to report on FPS, VAS, GPU, CPU etc. It has become my main tool even though I keep FSUIPC's chime on as a last-minute reminder. Only disadvantage of Afterburner is that it also gives you total VAS used rather than total remaining.

FSUIPC is way easy to use to monitor VAS remaining, on screen in real time, as you fly. I had installed into my FSUIPC (registered copy) but deleted after P3Dv3 was released: never had an OOM after!.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers