Sign in to follow this  
1Revenger1

Overspeed below 10k Ft

Hi, so I got the MD-11 earlier today and I've been enjoying it so far but I've had a few problems. One of those being that when I took off out of PHNL on I believe the MKK4 departure, where you have to use heading to guide yourself to the first way point. the plane climbed like normal to the altitude I set, 5000 ft. What was strange though was that it did not level out or anything at 3000ft to speed up, instead it kept going as if it was a rocket....figuratively. Anyways, I let it go, and after getting to 5000 ft, I raise the altitude again, start raising flaps, and it's fine. And then my plane is accelerating beyond 250 knots, and I am pulling the hair out of my head as to why the MD-11 is behaving like this. If you guys have any pointers as to why all of this is happening, that would be awesome.

Thanks!

The speed you are seeing above 250 knots is normal especially if the plane is carrying a lot of pax/cargo and fuel. It will accelerate to a speed that is safe even if below 10000 ft. Out of EDDF close to maximum takeoff weight I have seen it accelerate to 276 knot below 10000 ft. What you are seeing is normal unless the speed is above about 280 knots below 10000 ft.

How did you get the MD-11 today since it is no longer sold by PMDG and hasn't been for several months?

How did you get the MD-11 today since it is no longer sold by PMDG and hasn't been for several months?

It is still available from online retailers. flightsimstore, Aerosoft, pcaviator just to name a few.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

And then my plane is accelerating beyond 250 knots, and I am pulling the hair out of my head as to why the MD-11 is behaving like this.

Stop pulling your hair out. This is most likely normal.

I know the sim crowd likes to tout the 250 under 10 rule as absolute, but it is not: 91.117 d

§91.117   Aircraft speed.
(a) Unless otherwise authorized by the Administrator, no person may operate an aircraft below 10,000 feet MSL at an indicated airspeed of more than 250 knots (288 m.p.h.).

(b) Unless otherwise authorized or required by ATC, no person may operate an aircraft at or below 2,500 feet above the surface within 4 nautical miles of the primary airport of a Class C or Class D airspace area at an indicated airspeed of more than 200 knots (230 mph.). This paragraph (b) does not apply to any operations within a Class B airspace area. Such operations shall comply with paragraph (a) of this section.

© No person may operate an aircraft in the airspace underlying a Class B airspace area designated for an airport or in a VFR corridor designated through such a Class B airspace area, at an indicated airspeed of more than 200 knots (230 mph).

(d) If the minimum safe airspeed for any particular operation is greater than the maximum speed prescribed in this section, the aircraft may be operated at that minimum speed.

Kyle Rodgers

Did you arm PROF before takeoff or select it after takeoff ?

Was the FMS set up correctly with acceleration height of 3000 ?

Were the autothrottles engaged ?

Peter Schluter

The speed you are seeing above 250 knots is normal especially if the plane is carrying a lot of pax/cargo and fuel. It will accelerate to a speed that is safe even if below 10000 ft. Out of EDDF close to maximum takeoff weight I have seen it accelerate to 276 knot below 10000 ft. What you are seeing is normal unless the speed is above about 280 knots below 10000 ft.

I got it through aerosoft on Amazon, in case you were still wondering. I believe it was around 270 knots so that helps, thanks.

Stop pulling your hair out. This is most likely normal.

I know the sim crowd likes to tout the 250 under 10 rule as absolute, but it is not: 91.117 d

§91.117   Aircraft speed.
(a) Unless otherwise authorized by the Administrator, no person may operate an aircraft below 10,000 feet MSL at an indicated airspeed of more than 250 knots (288 m.p.h.).

( B) Unless otherwise authorized or required by ATC, no person may operate an aircraft at or below 2,500 feet above the surface within 4 nautical miles of the primary airport of a Class C or Class D airspace area at an indicated airspeed of more than 200 knots (230 mph.). This paragraph ( B) does not apply to any operations within a Class B airspace area. Such operations shall comply with paragraph (a) of this section.

© No person may operate an aircraft in the airspace underlying a Class B airspace area designated for an airport or in a VFR corridor designated through such a Class B airspace area, at an indicated airspeed of more than 200 knots (230 mph).

(d) If the minimum safe airspeed for any particular operation is greater than the maximum speed prescribed in this section, the aircraft may be operated at that minimum speed.

Thanks for the clarification, I always thought it was a hard limit even if your aircraft couldn't manage it.

Did you arm PROF before takeoff or select it after takeoff ?

Was the FMS set up correctly with acceleration height of 3000 ?

Were the autothrottles engaged ?

Autothrottles were engaged, where do I find acceleration height? I tend to forget to arm PROF and do it after takeoff.

Thanks for the help guys so far, wasn't expecting so many responses

where do I find acceleration height?

I think it is on the T/O page. You can set thrust reduction and acceleration height. If you dont change them they are by default 1500 and 3000 feet above ground elevation.

Peter Schluter

I always thought it was a hard limit even if your aircraft couldn't manage it.

Most of the sim community does. Many think aviation is black and white, when quite a lot of it is rather grey.

Kyle Rodgers