Sign in to follow this  
St0rmy

FSX SCENERY.CFG Error

http://prntscr.com/b47u1u

MY FSX (SE) was working perfectly fine 20 minutes ago but I just tryed to boot up FSX and I'm getting this error. I am running addon scenery.

Any help is appreciated, Thank You.

Looks like it has been deleted or moved. Check your Recycle Bin. If it's not there check C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX and there may be another with a different name you can copy and rename back to scenery.cfg.

That may mean one of your addons is missing but it should be a simple matter to add it back again.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Looks like it has been deleted or moved. Check your Recycle Bin. If it's not there check C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX and there may be another with a different name you can copy and rename back to scenery.cfg.

That may mean one of your addons is missing but it should be a simple matter to add it back again.

Unfortunately it does not appear to be that simple, that was one of the first places I went to to see if I had accidentally moved my Scenery.cfg but no it's there. I did try deleting it and then copying it back in and relaunching but no luck.

What did you 'try deleting'? That makes no sense.

Assuming you have no other copies of scenery.cfg made by 3rd party addons and no backup a reinstall may be your only option.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

What did you 'try deleting'? That makes no sense.

Assuming you have no other copies of scenery.cfg made by 3rd party addons and no backup a reinstall may be your only option.

I copied the scenery.cfg to another location, deleted the scenery.cfg in the FSX folder and then pasted the copied scenery.cfg in the FSX folder.

But the message said it couldn't find a valid scenery.cfg. Whatever you copied and pasted back obviously didn't solve the problem.

I have multiple copies of scenery.cfg (renamed by whatever scenery I installed) in the Program Data\Microsoft\FSX folder. Are you saying you don't have any in that folder?

Have you installed any 3rd party airports? They always make a backup of your scenery.cfg before they modify it.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

This  might help  had the  same  issue  long time ago

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/41524-help-error-when-starting-fsx/#comment-363804

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

You said Steam Edition FSX? Have you tried verifying the integrity of the game cache? Launch Steam, got to your Library, right click on FSX, then click on Properties, then the local files tab, then verify...

FSX should rebuild itself but you may have to apply any add-on alterations, just check if the sim works again first!

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Whenever the scenery.cfg is moved or deleted, it will be rebuilt with the copy located in the same folder as where the fsx.cfg is located.  This copy of the scenery.cfg should never be modified or deleted as it is used by FSX to rebuild the working copy of your scenery.cfg.  The working copy is in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX-SE.  So, if that was moved or deleted and there is no copy in the same folder as where your fsx.cfg is located, then you will get this error.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I can't understand why the OP felt the need to go into that folder. It's not possible to delete it via FSX is it Jim? That wouldn't make sense. The only other way it could disappear is by a manual delete. Intentional or not.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather