Sign in to follow this  
tf51d

OK..I have to ask.

What is it with the 737 that makes it so fascinating to our group?While its a nice airplane, its got to be the most overdone and tired subject for the freeware and payware crowds by a long shot. PMDG/Ariane/Dreamfleet/50N/Vistaliners/SGA/default all have created 737 flavors. Granted, there are different models and its a popular airframe, but I dont get why the payware folks especially continue to make 737's. Are there no more interesting airplanes?I like the airplane myself a lot, but I wont pay for another one.Why is this plane still being created by developers? Thats what I dont understand. I stopped paying for this bird a long time ago.Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Probably because just about every airline in every country has one, chances are if you've flown commercially more than a few times, you've probably been one. It is the quintessential passenger jet, and it's versatility is unmatched.Jeff

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

>chances are if you've flown commercially more than a>few times, you've probably been one. It is the quintessential>passenger jet, and it's versatility is unmatched.>>JeffI don't fly commercial very often but so far I have flown mostly 737 and MD80's. It is true almost every airline in the world has one of these. But I agree, it would be nice to see other aircraft since dreamfleet and PMDG have pretty much knocked this one out of the ball park... :DKevin

Hi, I see it this way. Either a 'pilot' is a Boeing kind of type or an Airbus.Personally I fit in the Boeing group, I don't like Airbus at all.I Fly mostly on shorter routes, so the 700 series is more or less the only option. Almost every VA has a 700 in its fleet. I guess that's the reason why it is so popular.However if you look at the avaialble panels for the 700, only the NG series has good (payware) panels available. Unfortunately this is not the case for the 400/500 series yet. I'm eagerly waiting for a panel matching the quality of the NG series.

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

I understand totally both the value and the utility of the 737. However there are simply so many of them from various vendors that I wonder who is buying all these? I mean, I have myself the 737DF from old, then the vistaliner birds, and an Ariane bird. No need for any more. I have all I need. I also do understand that the PMDG bird has extra payware functionality in FMC, etc thats well worth buying if you want a dash 800. In particular I saw the 50 North Bird as being particularly trivial. May be excellent, but way, way late to the party is it not?Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Each has its charms.Competition is good for consumers, it increases the quality while keeping the price down.Noone forces you to buy them all, if you do so it's your choice and yours alone.Or are you trying (like someone else did a while ago) to create some agency where addon developers have to apply for permission to create addons on pain of not being allowed to publish them?Sort of GosPlan (the old Soviet economic planning agency), complete with 5 year plans?

Guest Peter Sidoli

EricI tend to agree but more with airliners in general rather than type specific.I love both the products from PMDG and Level D but would love to see corporate jets to Level D and PMDG quality and functionality of which at present there are none.Aircraft like the HS125 s and Gulfstreams or even a Citation Bravo?Peter

>Aircraft like the HS125 s and Gulfstreams or even a Citation>Bravo?Would love Bravo or Sovereign or Raytheon Premier done to PMDG standards. I am a bit tired of aircraft over 50,000 lbs weight.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_beta_member.jpg

Doesn't the flightsim community naturally gravitate towards Boeings anyway? Especially with the fact that the baby Airbus series appears to be a 'no-can-do' as far as the current heavyweight payware developers are concerned. Until we get a decent A318-321 done to the same exacting standards as the 737s there's never going to be the same choice that the real airlines enjoy.Hopefully this may change in the future.Ian

editted out .....I was talking bu*#! :-lol...though I'm finding myself more facinated buy Russian smokers! :-kewl

regardsEd

http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/129637.jpgAMD Athlon 64 3500+, 1024Mb PC3200 DDR, 300Gb HD 128Mb DDR Nvidia 6600GT PCI Express, Audigy 2 ZSCH Products Yoke, Pedals and Throttle Quadrant

>>Hopefully this may change in the future.>>Ian>That's my dream - that someday I'll be able to 'sit' in an A32x family vc of LDS quality and smell that Porsche styling. Don't really care if it's not fully fbw - PSS modelled autotrim so it can be done.737s? Love em, especially I must admit the longer 800/900s - I think the longer 737s are more proportional and graceful looking.A few of us do appreciate both Airbus and Boeing equally. :) To me it's their difference that makes both interesting. I'm very curious to see if the 787 blurs that line a little more than the 777.regards,Markhttp://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a319/markrey/lds1.jpgXPHomeSP2/FS9.1/3.2HT/1GIG/X700pro256

Regards,

Mark

Guest aafuss

I love flying the PMDG 737-800/900 and the RFP 747 as well.

Which is why I'd like to see a PMDG quality MD80. That, with the 737, truly are the workhorses out there. It always seems strange to me to look at all my American Airline liveries and not see an MD80 in there. Mike

Guest panda234

Might also be the range of the 737 that makes it popular. It can be used for a short haul flight for simmers with time constraints or for longer cross country flights. And it goes into and out of a wide variety of airports and has a zillion liveries. That being said, your point about enough is well taken. Would love to see an MD-80 of similar quality to some of the 737's (well, the PMDG 737's) out there. billg

>What is it with the 737 that makes it so fascinating to our>group?>While its a nice airplane, its got to be the most overdone and>tired subject for the freeware and payware crowds by a long>shot. >>Eric>>I think, its because it is such a slippery bird on approach...LOL. Now seriously, because it is so versatile; and can get into a lot of airports that the big boys can't get into(unless a madman like me is flying them ;-) ). Also almost every airline in the world flys them.They are good for the 200 mile or less flights as well as the regional-to-national coast to coast flights. For a little bird there is a lot of power. This is definately not an underpowered bird. Lastly, most of us have had to fly rather economically...and these birds are probably what most of us have flown on at least 75% of the time. Also the branding, a Boeing 737 is like the brand name coke or ford, mercedes etc.